DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2. I'm gonna try again !!!

Since you're able to control the gimbal I would have to say that either the cable connection OR the port on your phone is the likely culprit. I have been able to fly often without even connecting a phone/ tablet. Have you tried borrowing another phone or tablet to troubleshoot whether it's your device? A new Samsung a21 will run you about £180 if it turns out to be the port on your phone and supposedly works with DJI Fly. I cant guarantee any truly helpful advice but some people have had issue with plugging the cable in backwards between the controller and phone. Personally I have been able to use both stock and aftermarket cables in both orientations most of the time with my Mini, Mini2 and Air2 but every once in awhile a different phone or cable will act up and only work one way.
I agree wholeheartedly. I’ve had situations where unplugging then replugging the cable from the phone makes everything right. The DJI side of the equation may not have the problem, probably the mobile device.

Hi Dave,

From reading other posts on here and other sites, it does appear commonly the Wileyfox Android as an issue with Mini 2, working previously with Mini though and the video link being most common issue. That would suggest there is something in the phone brand, either hardware or software, that does not play well with the DJI hardware or software. I think your frustration will only continue to try getting them to play nicely together unfortunately. Could be as simple as one line of code that stops the video link or a setting on the phone, version of hardware, etc

I haven’t found any successful solutions posted yet, other than going with another phone. Although not ideal, perhaps considering buying a used phone or tablet just for this purpose? Apple locks down their software more than Android based devices. My view is that leads to less potential software conflicts or issues with apps working as intended.

I have used an older iPad Mini, iPhone XR and currently iPhone 12 Pro. Each work with the Mini and Mini 2 without issue.

Hope you can get it working & in the air soon. The Mini 2 is my favourite drone - small and very capable!

Hello Thomas. You are boosting my confidence that If I buy my third mini. I hopefully might have better luck this time. Cheers for your help. Where are you in this strange world Tom? I'm in Suffolk UK

Hi Guys. I've sorted it now. It was my phone. Thanks for all your help and advice People.
Dave
Glad to hear you're up and running. What phone or tablet did you choose? And you're going to LOVE the Mini2. Almost as fast and long flight time as the MA2. I have both and love them each for what they do best.

Hello everybody all around the world. My name is Dave. I live in Suffolk in the UK. A few of you might remember my woes. When I had sold my mini 1. And invested in a mini 2 fly more combo. The cut to the Chase. I was never able to get a picture on my device, due to a "Connection problem" And as strange as it may seem. I was able to roll the gimble up and down. But got no picture. So it went back to the store. I came away with another new one. I connected the fresh one up the way I had been doing with my original Mini1 for 18 months. I uninstalled the fly app again. Reinstalled it again. Held my breath. and first turned on the controller. Turned on the drone. I recalibrated the compass. by doing the usual little dance of rotating the drone horizontally. Then vertically. the with its nose up. I put the drone on the ground. Lights were flashing but no on-off flashing green lights on the rear, like my mini 1. Once again, I had movements on the gimbal. but no picture FFS !! I was so stressed and angry with this. Surely I've not bought another Dud. I was posting questions on here. so many people replied with advice. Of which I tried all of them. Yes, I've tried everything !!!. I really do think it must be me. As I'm old and bloody stupid. And a bit thick as far as understanding all the tech speak a lot of you were using. I'm sorry about that
I always read that when the app is installed. That "The drone will work right out of the box". ??? So. In shear angry stress. I returned the second one back to the store. And came away with a full no questions asked refund. They never even looked in the box FFS.
Right. I still want a Mini 2. And decided that I would wait three months (Now) to try again. Just in case there had been a recall because of this problem. I had given my mini one to my son for Christmas. He could see how cross the bloody drone was making me. He said. Have the drone back, dad. So I did. I had deleted everything I could on it. before giving it to him. So I reassembled the mini one. Powered it up. I had a picture. Yippie !! The first step accomplished. She said "Your home point has been noted" And I took off across the fields. And had a wonderful time. It was like I had returned home from the war. I was elated. Now the main reason I changed to the 'two' was that it is supposed to cope better in slightly stronger winds. As to be honest. The mini-one doesn't like it if you even breathe on it. Only joking. But I want better than that. The DJI drones are amazing. So once again. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't want to buy yet another android phone. Unless I really have to. For those of you in the UK. Are there any camera stores here in the UK? In Essex / Suffolk /Cambridge region that sells DJI Drones, Which will show me how to pair up the mini 2 with my phone in the store before I'm satisfied enough and leave the store a happy boy (70-year-old boy that is).
Please help this old guy out, mates.
Thanks Dave
I’m 70 and decided that it was time I indulged my long-held hankering for a drone and bought the Mini 2 from good old Amazon. I live in Thetford on the Norfolk/Suffolk border and am fortunate enough to have a friend who is an experienced drone pilot and who, as part of his business, gives lessons. Needless to say, I booked a lesson with him, ana apart from charging everything, I didn’t touch the drone until my lesson a couple of days after receiving the drone. All I can say is that everything worked perfectly straight out of the box, but I do have an iPhone and I really don’t know if an Android phone could be your issue. But I thought I would tell you how I got on, and also say that I feel your pain and frustration.

Hi Dave welcome. As a lot of other people have already said it sounds like you phone may be the problem. If you could try it on a friend's phone that's a better spec and it works then that's your problem. I had a similar problem on my mini and it was the phone not the drone. I'm running a galaxy s20 on my mini 2 and have no problems at all. Sorry I'm a bit far away to pop over and give you a hand otherwise I would have been glad to help. Hope you get it sorted. Don't give up.

Reactions: Steel63
It was absolutely the phone. I went to the Wileyfox website and all of their phones (only saw 3) only have 2GB of ram. That would make them 32 bit devices. The Fly app will only run on 64 bit devices and not all of those are even compatible. Glad you got it sorted out and HAPPY FLYING!!

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

Reactions: Steel63
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose