DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 lost connection

Hiwayman

Reactions
Several years experience in flying Phantoms and Mavics, I have just invested in a Mini 2
Today on one of its first flights, I lost contact. The screen went black and I was about to initiate RTH when the app rebooted. I flew it home and landed safely.
I always fly in aeroplane mode but today forgot to initiate that mode...is that likely to be the cause of the blip, or should I be concerned about it reoccurring?

Black screens < Always check for cable problems.
If that does not solve the issue : Reinstall the App

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain.
Of course on the Mini 2 the lead to the phone is the short DJI supplied lead....I guess it could be faulty ....?
I would add that I was only around 100m from the drone when I lost connection...and had 26 sats connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Of course on the Mini 2 the lead to the phone is the short DJI supplied lead....I guess it could be faulty ....?
I would add that I was only around 100m from the drone when I lost connection...and had 26 sats connected.
Are you sure you lost connection?
Did the drone commence RTH itself?
It sounds more like the problem was completely related to your phone/tablet.
A faulty cable or loss of the app doesn't mean you have lost signal.
Loss of signal doesn't cause the app or the tablet to reboot.

Are you sure you lost connection?
Did the drone commence RTH itself?
It sounds more like the problem was completely related to your phone/tablet.
A faulty cable or loss of the app doesn't mean you have lost signal.
Loss of signal doesn't cause the app or the tablet to reboot.
Thank you for your reply....the drone didn't initiate RTH. It simply rebooted and I flew it back.
Just checked the fly app flight records ..it shows it as two separate flights.

Thank you for your reply....the drone didn't initiate RTH. It simply rebooted and I flew it back.
Just checked the fly app flight records ..it shows it as two separate flights.
The app was interrupted when the tablet or the app rebooted.
You never lost the signal connection between the drone and controller.
You still had full control even without the app.

It wasn't a cable issue as that wouldn't cause the app or tablet to reboot.

Reactions: Hiwayman
I am a former military Radar maintenance engineer. On any complex kit, we used the "split in half" fault-finding method. In the case of drones, the controller and drone are 1 half, the cable and phone etc the other half. So, find out which half works and the problem is in the other half. Check out the Drone / Controller half first. Fly your drone without the phone/cable and see what happens.

Did you still have control of the aircraft with just the controller. If so then it's the cable or app, if not and the problem persists, take the drone and controller back. I had a similar issue with my mini 1 and they traced it to a faulty transmission card within the drone.
Not sure, I was that surprised to see the black screen I didn't try to fly it before it rebooted seconds later...

The app was interrupted when the tablet or the app rebooted.
You never lost the signal connection between the drone and controller.
You still had full control even without the app.

It wasn't a cable issue as that wouldn't cause the app or tablet to reboot.
Thank you...maybe I should just reload the app and see if it happens again.... ensuring aeroplane mode is set.

Did the app reboot or did the phone reboot?

Just a thought, but my father had something similar happen. In his case the phone rebooted. It turns out that the way he set his phone on the controller, the on/off button was under a contact point and he literally turned his phone off and back on while flying.

Did the app reboot or did the phone reboot?

Just a thought, but my father had something similar happen. In his case the phone rebooted. It turns out that the way he set his phone on the controller, the on/off button was under a contact point and he literally turned his phone off and back on while flying.
Thank you...I couldn't rule that out...and I sort of hope that's what happened...better than an intermittent fault ?

What are you using as a device for the app? The latest version of Fly which is 1.2.2 seems to be a hog.

I made a post a while back regarding me having an issue during flights with the video screen going back to the dji homescreen.

Case of elimination... I was using a galaxy s20 plus with a type C connector and started to use my old S6 with the mini USB connection so far it has cured it so I'm thinking 2 things either the type c cable is damaged or I have some conflicting apps running in the background causing this.

Just today I believe I have found the issue, I'm not fully certain as I need to try it further but the phone case over the s20 has a thick cover near to the type c entry port and having had a close look at this I removed it and it seems to go in better ...I'm now sure this was causing a 'loose connection' and occasionally it made the video feed flick to the homescreen.

Not saying this is your fault but if you do have a issue with the connection like a damaged lead it could be that.

I made a post a while back regarding me having an issue during flights with the video screen going back to the dji homescreen.

Case of elimination... I was using a galaxy s20 plus with a type C connector and started to use my old S6 with the mini USB connection so far it has cured it so I'm thinking 2 things either the type c cable is damaged or I have some conflicting apps running in the background causing this.

Just today I believe I have found the issue, I'm not fully certain as I need to try it further but the phone case over the s20 has a thick cover near to the type c entry port and having had a close look at this I removed it and it seems to go in better ...I'm now sure this was causing a 'loose connection' and occasionally it made the video feed flick to the homescreen.

Not saying this is your fault but if you do have a issue with the connection like a damaged lead it could be that.
Thank you...all suggestions and possibilities appreciated ?

Update ...took cover off and its still disconnecting, been in touch with Dji and they are sending me a replacement type C lead ...let's see if its that.
If not then its something my galaxy s20 plus doesn't like with the dji app and I don't have a clue how I'd tackle that problem ...but one step at a time.

I had some looseness with at least one of my A to C cables I used with my S20 FE.

I started playing around with a USB charge meter that also shows the data lead voltages and found connections for that also was flaky. Pinched the plug a bit and that seemed to tighten the connection.

I was hoping it wasn't the S20 socket loosened up. I just bought it a couple months ago.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake