DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 new owner advice please.

Joolz

Reactions
Hi everyone.

Ordered a mini 2 yesterday (hopefully will arrive very soon) and i am after some advice if possible. I am wanting to try the quick shot modes on a specific location when we go on holiday (lockdown rules dependent as possibly wont get there yet). The location is a lighthouse (and outbuildings), i have watched a few tutorials on the quick shots but every single one of them was related to the subject matter been yourself and not a structure and i am worried i will crash it into the lighthouse or lose the drone in the sea if i try to use the circle quick shot to go around the lighthouse :eek:.

I was wondering if anyone had some handy hints on the quick shot modes that were more related to landmarks and structures to allow me to get the footage safely (Really sorry if it is a dumb question, maybe once i actually have the drone and can practice it will become clearer!).

I already have my flyers ID & Operators ID sorted ( i know i don't need both with a mini 2 but thought it would be best).

Many Thanks

I recently tried a circle shot with a MM, see Mavic Mini, can you control the speed of flight during a "circle"?.
Assuming the mini 2 is set up the same way then as suggested in post 4 you draw a box around the target. However, the speed of rotation was NOT under my control. I was dissapointed by that.
I would suggest experimenting BEFORE you need it and if found to be not to your taste then practise manually flown circles.
I also have the impression that at times it flew a multi faceted polygon rather than a circle but I was shooting a multi height and perhaps difficult target.

Last edited by a moderator:
To the OP, welcome from the UK too, some good answers here already.
Best ones are about practising before you go to the lighthouse.
As mentioned, the “target object” is selected by yourself as is the distance from it.

First:
When you can, use yourself as the subject to start with and see how it flies around you, make sure your in clear space of course.
Then choose other targets eg a single tree, or park bench or something that is away from you that you fly to then select as the ‘target’ again ensuring the flight paths is clear.
Also with same targets try the other quick shots drone etc and within a couple of tries of them all you’ll know as much about them as anyone else?
Note, you are not able to control the quick shots flight speed but you do control the start location, height, and can select the distance is flies.
Youtube is your friend ?

Reactions: Hauptmann
With regards to YT, wherever a flight mode is demonstrated as the pilot being the object, just substitute any other object as the subject.

The app will automatically recognize people and cars where you just click on the circle representing them, but you can choose any other object by drawing a box around it.

I've used quickshots a few times round landmarks (not a lighthouse but trees or buildings). It works fine but a few things to be aware of.

Stating the obvious - the mini/2 has no collision avoidance sensors so as it executes its quickshot if there's anything in the way you'll hit it (and likely lose your drone). So you need to make sure you can see it for the whole shot.

Keep your eyes on it like a hawk (don't jsut look at the screen - you can check the shot after) and be prepared to interrupt it if you have any concerns. It's very unlikely to hit the target itself however.

With the orbit - the further you are from the target at the start the bigger the circle. No idea what the max is. But you could end up sending the drone on a huge circle. Make sure you have the battery life to do it and winds won't be an issue etc

I don't think I'd risk a flight over sea until I'd flown it a fair bit first and got comfortable with how QS works. But then you should be fine.

Hi everyone thank you so much for al the advice i really appreciate it. I have watched some more YT videos since i posted the other day and have a bit of a better idea than i did previously (including one that was around some kind of lighthouse structure).

I think you are right practice is going to be key and building up confidence in the use of the drone before we go away (though that is now looking unlikely anyway).

My mini 2 is due to arrive today so i have booked the day off tomorrow to play around with it,

Thanks all again for the advice and will let you all know how i get on with it.

So my Mini 2 arrived and all seems fine except it wont auto take off?? no warning messages and it was connected to satelites and home point set. But when i press the auto take off icon on my screen the circle that comes up in the centre of the screen is greyed out and nothing happens when i press it.

I have to get the props to start by pulling both sticks down and inwards.

I have read the instruction manual but cannot find a solution in there.

Any hints would be fantastic, i am probably doing something really basic wrong.

So my Mini 2 arrived and all seems fine except it wont auto take off?? no warning messages and it was connected to satelites and home point set. But when i press the auto take off icon on my screen the circle that comes up in the centre of the screen is greyed out and nothing happens when i press it.

I have to get the props to start by pulling both sticks down and inwards.

I have read the instruction manual but cannot find a solution in there.

Any hints would be fantastic, i am probably doing something really basic wrong.

You have to hold the button that pops up to auto take off, have you tried that?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143