DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 or Mini SE

Thanks again everyone. A lot of you mention issues with the Mavic Mini which the SE is based on. Surely DJI have ironed out many of these by now and would at least update the OS or firmware on the newer released drone?

I read about a battery drain issue with the Mini 2, not yet sure if that has been fixed or adressed as of now.

Another reason I was initially leaning towards the cheaper option is that 4k is not a big selling point for me and I have no plans on putting together videos for posting or sharing. I've never been much into video, the only time I've shot 4k is when testing new camera bodies, then switch the settings back to 1080 to save space for whatever short clips i might record.
I don't see myself doing a whole lot of post processing for my intended uses, maybe cut the length of the clip or save some stills from the video. That's pretty much it. That said, it's a welcome addition to the Mini 2 especially since it allows for higher magnification of the images compared to 2.7k.

The ability to save RAW files is a plus also but from what I've seen of the JPEG's they are good enough for what I intend on using it for.

I'm pretty sure I'd be happy with either one but the Mini 2 seems to be the safer bet in the long term for all the various reasons you and all the others have pointed out. If a review of the SE comes out before my trip, I may consider it if there are any new or good points or features about it.
Sounds to me like you'd be fine with the SE, really. (I wish US customers had that option!)

Here's a YouTube review that belabors the point that it doesn't make sense to buy a Mini if you can get an SE -- which is why US customers don't have that option :rolleyes: -- but he does do some comparison to the Mini 2:
In particular, he says the wind resistance does seem to match the Mini 2. The cameras are very similar, except that the Mini and SE cameras are crippled to not support recording 4K video. (The 2.7K video is a downsized version of what the 4K sensor is capturing.) I have a couple of 4K "action" cameras that I use for making videos of bar bands, and while editing them is a pain, the advantage there is that I can mount them in fixed positions and still do a lot of digital panning and zooming in post without losing quality in the 1080p rendered video. For aerial video, I probably wouldn't use that much (especially if the drone supported digital zoom), but 4K video would be nice for capturing higher-resolution stills from the frames. However, since virtually everyone who ever sees them will do so on a 1080p monitor, that's not really much of an advantage for me. I really don't need the greater range of OcuSync, either, since I do try to fly VLOS (for my own peace of mind), but it's also supposed to be more resistant to Wi-Fi interference, too, so that could be an advantage depending on where you're flying. I'll fly my Mini until I either lose it or crash it, so resale value wouldn't be an issue for me. If it were me, I'd buy a Mini 2 instead of a Mini, but if I could buy an SE instead, I'd have a hard time justifying the extra price of the Mini 2.

Sounds to me like you'd be fine with the SE, really. (I wish US customers had that option!)

Here's a YouTube review that belabors the point that it doesn't make sense to buy a Mini if you can get an SE -- which is why US customers don't have that option :rolleyes: -- but he does do some comparison to the Mini 2:
In particular, he says the wind resistance does seem to match the Mini 2. The cameras are very similar, except that the Mini and SE cameras are crippled to not support recording 4K video. (The 2.7K video is a downsized version of what the 4K sensor is capturing.) I have a couple of 4K "action" cameras that I use for making videos of bar bands, and while editing them is a pain, the advantage there is that I can mount them in fixed positions and still do a lot of digital panning and zooming in post without losing quality in the 1080p rendered video. For aerial video, I probably wouldn't use that much (especially if the drone supported digital zoom), but 4K video would be nice for capturing higher-resolution stills from the frames. However, since virtually everyone who ever sees them will do so on a 1080p monitor, that's not really much of an advantage for me. I really don't need the greater range of OcuSync, either, since I do try to fly VLOS (for my own peace of mind), but it's also supposed to be more resistant to Wi-Fi interference, too, so that could be an advantage depending on where you're flying. I'll fly my Mini until I either lose it or crash it, so resale value wouldn't be an issue for me. If it were me, I'd buy a Mini 2 instead of a Mini, but if I could buy an SE instead, I'd have a hard time justifying the extra price of the Mini 2.

Yeah, I've been giving it more thought and am reconsidering going with the Mini SE once again. It's not a big difference in price but for this particular trip I will also be buying a laptop, tablet and bean to cup coffee machine, none of which I'm willing to compromise on, and every little bit of savings counts. I've not yet watched the review you linked but I watched two different ones released yesterday and the day before, it seems there are not much in added features with the SE over the mini one apart from the upgraded motors which is fine. The occusync would nice but I really don't plan on flying very far so the enhanced wifi should be good enough for me.

I would have liked the ability to zoom on the SE but it seems, like with the original mini, there is none. I don't know what the limitations are with the mini and SE that don't allow for it, or if this is simply something they omitted on these models due to them being in a lower price range. I guess I'll have to figure out how to get magnified images in post, something I've never done with video.

Another thing I'm curious about, does anyone happen to know why 4x digital zoom on the Mini 2 is only available at 1080 and not in 2.7 or 4k? It would seem to me the higher resolutions would be capable of as much or more magnifications over the 1080 resolution.

Then there is the matter of the plots of land I plan on filming are on an island within 4km of an airport. According to the DJi map, the area is within the blue zone which from my research can be unlocked by verified users. The thing is, this airport is also occasionally used by the military so I don't know if that will add any difficulty with unlocking in the area.

When you digitally zoom you're basically cropping the picture. The more you zoom. The lower the resolution.

@jon983 in your original post you mention you are just starting out in drones and looking for a drone for occasional use. You also are comparing the individual Mini 2 to the Mini SE Fly more combo which is much more bang for the $$$. Yes the Mini 2 that everyone is recommending you buy is more advanced - has a better camera, but the Mini SE also has a very good camera too. The real question is do you need and all of the features that the Mini 2 offers?

Questions to consider about the Mini 2:

Do you have a computer that can process the 4K video? Do you have editing software that can handle 4K?
Do you need 4K video? Are you going to be posting it somewhere?
Do you need RAW photos? Do you plan to post process your images?

Just some things to consider. Often people buy tech (drones/computers/etc) that have way more capabilities than they need or want. Resale value for a Mini SE is kind of a moot point as the selling price is already low to begin with.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chris
Well put

Reactions: Crash and Burn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS