DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 overshoots home point on RTH

skunky1

Reactions
So I was doing a range test on my mini 2. All was going well and I reached 2.6km without any signal loss or remote disconnection.

I turned around and manually started returning to my home point.

At some point around 11.30 mins when it was around 500 m near me the fly app on my phone seemed to have frozen and the feed on the screen froze. I moved the drone around thinking it was signal loss. I even closed and reopened the app.

As there was no video feed I hit RTH but could still not see the drone nor the video feed.
I put it into sport mode for some unknown reason.

When the feed resumed I noted that the drone overshot the RTH and kept flying away from me. I could not cancel RTH on the app screen.

I pressed the RTH on the remote and it seemed to have stopped the drone.

I resumed RTH but for some reason that flight was on another log. Drone landed safely.

This was weird for 2 reasons.

1. Did app freeze or did drone lose connection. Why did this happen close to me on the return flight.

2. Why did the drone overshoot the RTH?

Here is my flight data.

https://app.airdata.com/share/irMXvk/GENERAL[/ URL]

The craft went past the home point because RTH was cancelled before it arrived at the home point and subsequently full forward stick was applied for nearly a minute

1608909588432.png

You probably had RC control the entire time. App can freeze for some of us. It's not uncommon for me.

What are you using for the display?

Reactions: Kilrah
You probably had RC control the entire time. App can freeze for some of us. It's not uncommon for me.

What are you using for the display?

iPhone XS Max. It was getting very hot.

The craft went past the home point because RTH was cancelled before it arrived at the home point and subsequently full forward stick was applied for nearly a minute

View attachment 120058

Thank you for the prompt reply

I tried canceling RTH on the app when I thought it was close to manually land as I mostly do but the app was not responsive.

Can you cancel RTH by pressing the remote button? Maybe I did this and kept pushing the stick without realizing it as I didn’t have any feed.

Yes, from RC you can cancel RTH and even pause the AC when in other autonomous modes.

When you lose FPV (view from app), look to get back VLOS (direct view of AC). Also listen for it. RC beeps a certain way when RTH is engaged.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Yes, from RC you can cancel RTH and even pause the AC when in other autonomous modes.

When you lose FPV (view from app), look to get back VLOS (direct view of AC). Also listen for it. RC beeps a certain way when RTH is engaged.

Cool

What does downlink data loss refer to in the notifications?

What does downlink data loss refer to in the notifications?

It means what it says, the downlink data was lost.

Downlink data refers to the data sent from the drone to the controller and consists of two parts : the telemetry data ( speed, height, distance etc ) and the video feed. If the controller cannot receive these data, you will see such notification in the AirData notification.

The notification is consistent with the loss of video feed. At the moment shown below the craft was directly 50 meters over you but the radio signal was abnormally bad. The radio signal degradation started at around 10 min 50 sec into the flight. It seems that some interference sources suddenly appeared on the controller side. Can't imagine what it could be.

1608966911759.png

Last edited:
Ok, this is a question no rebuke or flame intended. I’m new to drones but not Rc. Been in RC 40 plus years. I do not understand the function of a range test. Reason I don’t is I see it as a test. If it fails the test my drone is gone. I see where many do it but I’m uncertain as to the benefit. Also from what I’ve read were restricted to visual line of sight. That being said I will be using my drone to photograph mountains on BLM land where I spend my off time prospecting and enjoying mountains the drone my very well go beyond my vision. Ive learned a lot from the posts ive read and now I’m just curious about this. I have seen many YouTube videos where guys do this and it’s been primarily in the city.
Thanks and Merry Christmas

Reactions: hiflyer201
If it fails the test my drone is gone.
It's not gone since it comes back on its own.

I see where many do it but I’m uncertain as to the benefit.
Once you know it works to 2km you can (usually...) be reasonably confident you're not going to lose signal when you fly at 500m and stop worrying about it if you did.

Reactions: skunky1
I do not understand the function of a range test
It does seem a little like sticking your finger in the fire to see if it burns doesn't it.
RC beeps a certain way when RTH is engaged.
Something I've meant to do forever..maybe today...disconnect the phone and do a few RTH's It's really spooky when it happens in real time and you're not sure if you have pushed RTH long enough ..and if you push it again you might be cancelling it..etc etc..

It means what it says, the downlink data was lost.

Downlink data refers to the data sent from the drone to the controller and consists of two parts : the telemetry data ( speed, height, distance etc ) and the video feed. If the controller cannot receive these data, you will see such notification in the AirData notification.

The notification is consistent with the loss of video feed. At the moment shown below the craft was directly 50 meters over you but the radio signal was abnormally bad. The radio signal degradation started at around 10 min 50 sec into the flight. It seems that some interference sources suddenly appeared on the controller side. Can't imagine what it could be.

View attachment 120090

Thanks for your detailed reply.

It’s so strange that the when I was 2.6 km away the feed was strong but degraded so close to me. I was parked next to a freeway without any buildings or houses.

There was electrical pylons about 1 km away. Could this be it ?

Ok, this is a question no rebuke or flame intended. I’m new to drones but not Rc. Been in RC 40 plus years. I do not understand the function of a range test. Reason I don’t is I see it as a test. If it fails the test my drone is gone. I see where many do it but I’m uncertain as to the benefit. Also from what I’ve read were restricted to visual line of sight. That being said I will be using my drone to photograph mountains on BLM land where I spend my off time prospecting and enjoying mountains the drone my very well go beyond my vision. Ive learned a lot from the posts ive read and now I’m just curious about this. I have seen many YouTube videos where guys do this and it’s been primarily in the city.
Thanks and Merry Christmas

As I fly mostly in a built up area where I get constant signal interference and not much range I wanted to test the capabilities of the mini 2 occusync in a real life scenario

Thanks for your detailed reply.

It’s so strange that the when I was 2.6 km away the feed was strong but degraded so close to me. I was parked next to a freeway without any buildings or houses.

There was electrical pylons about 1 km away. Could this be it ?
Then there must be some problem with the radio ....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan