DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 RTH Lands 100 yards away in a tree

dhcody

Reactions
I flew my Mini 2 Christmas Day about 200 yards south of me at 150 feet after take off. When it was at 200 yards away I demonstrated RTH. Well it assended to the 200 foot level and started returning to home. I looked a way from the screen on phone for a minute and when I looked back I saw it was stopped and was loosing altitude. I immediately gave it full up but it ignored the input and softly landed in a 75 foot tree. Batt level still 30%. Retrieved it with no damage and called DJI. They told me to turn on sync in the app and they would look at the file. Long story short they could not retrieve the file and suggested downloading their software to retrieve the log file directly from the Mini 2. My computer connected to the M2 but could not retrieve the file, thus they recommended return for repair. Unit was only 3 months old. After 3 weeks they send me an email that the repair cost is $195. Evidently when you ask for repair you must check that you want an analysis first????? I didn't see that on the request. The M2 has been at the repair facility for a month and after giving them the full story 5 TIMES I still have no results. How can something so simple be so complicated with their service. I have sent numerous emails and had 3 or 4 calls regarding this situation. I am very disappointed in their service as all I wanted is for them to check out the M2 and let me know what happened and repair a 3 month old drone with no physical damage. Gee this is unacceptable. Anyone of you have any ideas or have you ever run into this problem with the M2 or problems with their warranty service. Thanks. Dennis

Did they not give you an explanation of the cause of the problem, and what needed repair?
Without a log it is hard to say why the initial problem happened, but one possibility is that the home point was set before the Mini 2 had acquired enough GPS sats for a reliable position. That's why the controller suggests checking the home point on the map right after it sets the home point.

If you have the log still on your phone you could upload it, and one of the expert log analysts here can probably give you more information.

It seems that service is simple when covered by warranty, but if they determine it is not a warranty issue then yes, it sometimes seems to get complicated like this.

Reactions: adrocor
Anyone of you have any ideas or have you ever run into this problem with the M2...
In order to say anything about what happened ... the flight log that's stored on the mobile device you flew with is needed.

Go here --> DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help and upload the log from the flight there ... when done they will provide you with a link ... copy that & share that in a new post here. (Scroll down a bit on that site for where to find the log ...)

They could not retreve the log file from my phone in the DJI app. They had me download their program to get it out of the drone and it would not work, thus recommended sending it to them for analysis. That's the problem no log file on my Samsung s21 phone in the DJI Fly app nor could their software download it from the drone.

It announced home point updated prior to departure while in hover. My main concern is why is there no log file on my phone, and not being able to download from the Mini 2.

Well, I haven't had this experience, but especially if the drone did not respond to input to climb I would think the responsibility for proving it wasn't a warranty issue would be with DJI, and they don't seem to have given you any evidence that this was operator error. When you call (or email?) customer service, what do they tell you?

Did they not give you an explanation of the cause of the problem, and what needed repair?
Without a log it is hard to say why the initial problem happened, but one possibility is that the home point was set before the Mini 2 had acquired enough GPS sats for a reliable position. That's why the controller suggests checking the home point on the map right after it sets the home point.

If you have the log still on your phone you could upload it, and one of the expert log analysts here can probably give you more information.

It seems that service is simple when covered by warranty, but if they determine it is not a warranty issue then yes, it sometimes seems to get complicated like this.

No sir they did not give me and explanation as they said I did not ask in the service request for an analysis. Therefore I guess they just assume the thing is toast and send me a bill. I sent the original receipt showing it was only 3 months old so by that you would think they would see its in warranty. The only thing they sent me was a picture of my drone with statement defective component... That made no sense. How can something so simple be so complicated...

They could not retreve the log file from my phone in the DJI app...That's the problem no log file on my Samsung s21 phone ...
Have you actually plugged in your S21 into your PC and through the file explorer looked?

The logs should be here --> Device internal memory/Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/FlightRecord

Anyone of you have any ideas or have you ever run into this problem with the M2
There is probably a very simple explanation for the incident and it will likely be found in the flight data when/if you post it.

Thanks for the info. I have learned two lessons if I ever get it back from
DJI.
1. Always verify on the map.
2. Always check the DJI fly app for a log file after each flight.

I have no idea why the log file is missing on the phone, and why I could not download it from the aircraft. Have a great day and thanks again for the tips.... Dennis

I have no idea why the log file is missing on the phone, and why I could not download it from the aircraft.
It is in the phone, not the drone.
And it will be there.
If your drone has recent firmware and you are using an Android device it will be at:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord.

Other locations for iOS devices or Android (if you have older firmware installed) are shown in the Phantomhelp instructions.

Reactions: Paint Rock Drones
Thanks. I went into my android phone this morning and the only files under the Android/data/dji.go.v5/files/ is a cache file. No flight records??? I have numerous flights with my Mini 2 and Air 2s and nothing under this folder but cache ????? If I ever get the Mini 2 back from repair I am going to check after every flight for a log file. On another note every flight I ever did was listed on DJI Fly under profile and more, except this on... I have only been doing this for 6 months and I guess I got complacent because everything always worked perfectly. Thank you again for your help
DENNIS CODY

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada