DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Sample 4K Footage Chicago

With a 107 you can fly 400 feet above the tallest structure legally 400' above the building and within a 400' perimeter of the building. If I didn't have my 107 then that would be another story. This may help clarify it a bit. Can I Fly My Drone Above 400 Feet? Understanding the Altitude Limit - Pilot Institute

I think there is always some confusion with this. If there was a LAANC authorization needed that would be different too or a TFR or something in place. “The altitude of the small unmanned aircraft cannot be higher than 400 feet above ground level unless the small unmanned aircraft is (1) flown within a 400-foot radius of a structure, and (2) does not fly higher than 400 feet above the structure’s immediate uppermost limit.”
I know that but how do you get the drone to go above 400'? Mine stops at 398 feet and says altitude limit reached....

Some footage today and some altitude testing at 1000' and really had gimbal issues in every mode that high when flying sideways....would just tilt really badly like the sport mode issue but in normal mode. I think just too extreme for the little guy even though the Mini 2 can handle. The footage is pretty darn remarkable though for something so small!

very good quality from the mini 2

This guy above me is dropping that video on all threads!

One thing I'm happy to see is that with all these mini two videos over water, no one is reporting drops into the water

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
My question as well, 1000 feet? When we can only fly legally at 400 feet.
I don't fly in Chicago for that reason.

I know that but how do you get the drone to go above 400'? Mine stops at 398 feet and says altitude limit reached....
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
My question as well, 1000 feet? When we can only fly legally at 400 feet.
I don't fly in Chicago for that reason.
Hobbyists are limited to 400' AGL. 107 pilots can get a FAA waiver that allows them to go above the 400' limit (and they are still limited - just to a different height). They also have to file showing what they're doing and when - as they are potentially an air hazard, thus giving them permission to do it and a way to allow it. If you're asking how to physically do it .. and you want to be able to do this, obtain your 107 first.

'The basis for the 400-foot limit is easy to explain. Most manned aircraft activities occur at 500 feet or above, except within the controlled airspace near airports. The 100-foot buffer was established to avoid any close encounters between drones and manned aircraft. This was a decision that most of the drone community agreed with.

To further emphasize the importance of this altitude limit, statistics showed that there were 921 recorded incidents of close encounters between drones and manned aircraft before the Part 107 rules were implemented. Of these cases, there were 28 instances where the manned aircraft had to execute evasive maneuvers to avoid getting into proximity danger with the drones. Drone crashes are one thing, but when they endanger manned aircraft, they run the risk of causing much more severe damage and loss of life.'

For the technical part:
How to Unlock Geofencing on Your DJI Drone

Note .. without an approval, you can't do it.

Last edited:
Some footage today and some altitude testing at 1000' and really had gimbal issues in every mode that high when flying sideways....would just tilt really badly like the sport mode issue but in normal mode. I think just too extreme for the little guy even though the Mini 2 can handle. The footage is pretty darn remarkable though for something so small!

Excelent!!!
This proves the old saying, it's not the gear but what you're able to do with it.
Great Footage!!!

So what I'm getting from this video is that the quality is very good if you've got good light and the drones "back" is to the sun. Maybe even to the extent it's difficult to see an immediate difference between this and one of it's larger brethren.
When it's facing the sun, well, I think the limitations of the dynamic range on the sensor / image processing is much more apparent. And reviews have mentioned it doesn't do such a good job with poor lighting conditions.

Still, it's a huge step up from the Mini 1

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
assassin23