DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 some questions on charging

Sneak

Reactions
I took the mini 2 out today for my first outdoor flight and it was really fun. Battery drained pretty quick but it was pretty cold, but i did do a warmup before heading out.
I'm trying to find the best way to charge and store my batteries to prolong their life.
Looks like I need to not fly them to zero. ( i went to about 18 percent and stopped) and I charged them to near 100% and hovered for a for minutes to get down to the 72% range.
1: Is this the correct way to do it? I'm going to fly it tomorrow so i didnt know if its ok to store at 100% overnight so i discharged to 72%. I'd like to know how you guys get the most life.
2: I dont have the official mini 2 charger or the charging hub. Its supposed to be an 18w charger but I didnt have one of those handy. I'm charging with a 10w Moto charger and it seems to get it done quick enough. I just dont want to damage them. You think less watts is ok? Or does this slow charging somehow destroy the battery?
THANKS FOR READING!!

Dear Sneak, Mini 2 batteries are LIPO batteries so store them between 40-60% power (if stored for longer period) else these are likely to swell if stored at 100%. It also starts auto draining after 2 days but not to take risk. 100% is no issue if you are going to fly it in a day or 2. I am using a normal battery bank to charge batteries via battery hub. It is slow but it charges all 3 batteries to 100%.

Reactions: Sneak
I have a mini 2 combo, but I also bought that charger with LCD display arrives tomorrow .. I also got this handcrafted tool for checking and storing the batteries. I keep my batteries with a voltage of 3.80 / 3.85 volts per cell during storage.

20220220_165435.jpg

Reactions: Sneak
Hi there,

With this charging adapter you can charge the Mini2 battery to the desired percentage value. I've been using it since the beginning and charge the batteries to 72 percent for storage.

greeting
Looks like a great charger, darn shame it's not available in the US or I would pick one up.

Also, I've been reading quite a bit about the battery charging and with the auto discharge most of what I am reading states to charge them to full and allow them to cycle down normally with the batteries outside of the charger and drone.

I have been doing this without any problems but there are definitely differing opinions.

Looks like a great charger, darn shame it's not available in the US or I would pick one up.

Also, I've been reading quite a bit about the battery charging and with the auto discharge most of what I am reading states to charge them to full and allow them to cycle down normally with the batteries outside of the charger and drone.

I have been doing this without any problems but there are definitely differing opinions.
Do you mean this one.

^^^ This.

DJI batteries are the most discussed issue with the highest mountain of BS out there to climb over, including many heralded, respected experts in this forum.

Bottom line: You have no meaningful access to the battery cells in order to affect their performance or cycle life. The DJI smart BMS stands in the way, and will manage the cells for you, whether you like it or not, whether it does a good job or not (and it does a pretty good job, so relax).

The only thing you can do: Do not store a battery discharged. Always charge to at least 50% after use. Best to always fully charge, then let the BMS handle safe storage discharge on its own if you don't use it within a few days.

Best to always fully charge, then let the BMS handle safe storage discharge on its own if you don't use it within a few days.

That is the direction I decided to go after much research on the topic.

From what I can tell from personal use the DJI smart BMS does manage the cells and does a good job. I top them off before I fly, let them cool after a flight if they are warm and charge them back to 100%. I've been flying a lot this month in Florida and the batteries have performed well, I'll see if long term the effects of my decision but believe this is the right way to extend the life of the batteries.

I live in the us more expensive ebay
Amazon cheaper

That is the direction I decided to go after much research on the topic.

From what I can tell from personal use the DJI smart BMS does manage the cells and does a good job. I top them off before I fly, let them cool after a flight if they are warm and charge them back to 100%. I've been flying a lot this month in Florida and the batteries have performed well, I'll see if long term the effects of my decision but believe this is the right way to extend the life of the batteries.
Thanks for the reminder that the ONE other thing you have control over is the temperature of the battery when charging... Always let the battery warm up or cool down to room temperature before charging.

only thing I don't like about it is it isn't PD, but QC 3.0, and requires two connections to get full charging current. That's been enough to keep me away so far.
It will charge with only one.but slower. To get the dji charging bank need an adapter for faster charging.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas