DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 with Fatshark’s

moparherb

Reactions
I have a set of Fatshark Dominater 2 googles that I hook to my iPad mini 5 using a HDMI cable from an Apple AV connector plugged in to the lighting port. The AV connector also has a lighting connector port. When I do this I can see everything on my iPad screen in the goggles. Everything is fine until I load the DJI Fly App. Then the screen displays the upper and lower menus on the app screen but the view from the mini 2 camera is grayed out. Anyone know of a reason why this isn’t working or a way to fix it. I’m old and flying the quad with goggles makes viewing in bright sunlight better that the screen on the tablet. Thanks to any advise.

I've used hdmi on some old (original?) Fatshark goggles. Worked OK but they were at low resolution. I'm getting better results with a 3rd part app like Litchi or Maven and putting my iPhone in some cheap goggles in Virtual Reality mode.

As you say no glare plus the options of waypoints (Maven), Panoramas (Litchi).

EDIT: Oops, Maven and Litchi are for the Mini so far. Forgot this is the Mini 2 forum.

Last edited:
I have a set of Fatshark Dominater 2 googles that I hook to my iPad mini 5 using a HDMI cable from an Apple AV connector plugged in to the lighting port. The AV connector also has a lighting connector port. When I do this I can see everything on my iPad screen in the goggles. Everything is fine until I load the DJI Fly App. Then the screen displays the upper and lower menus on the app screen but the view from the mini 2 camera is grayed out. Anyone know of a reason why this isn’t working or a way to fix it. I’m old and flying the quad with goggles makes viewing in bright sunlight better that the screen on the tablet. Thanks to any advise.

Your not seeing the camera view because there is no cable connecting the remote controller to the iPad, so no video feed data is getting to the iPad/ Dji Fly.
The iPad has only one lightning port, I'm not sure how you would connect the fatshark goggles and the Mavic Mini 2 remote controller to the iPad at the same time.

YouTube kenheron, I’m sure he did an hdmi goggles to mm2 video

Iannes: the Apple AV connector has one lighting end that plugs into the iPad mini and exits with a HDMI port and another lighting port. So the controller is in fact connected to the iPad mini. The HDMI port is attached to the goggles. Up until I launch the DJI fly app I can see everything that’s being shown on my iPad in the goggles. After the DJI app loads I can see the upper and lower menus of the app but now camera view........

Iannes: the Apple AV connector has one lighting end that plugs into the iPad mini and exits with a HDMI port and another lighting port. So the controller is in fact connected to the iPad mini. The HDMI port is attached to the goggles. Up until I launch the DJI fly app I can see everything that’s being shown on my iPad in the goggles. After the DJI app loads I can see the upper and lower menus of the app but now camera view........
Hi moparherb. If your Apple AV connector is the same as the one I have, the female lightning port is for charging only and does not provide the capability to transmit Video feed, only the HDMI port does that. That would be my guess, or yours may be different than mine.

Unfortunately the second lightning port on the AV adapter is so you can power your iPad while your using the hdmi output, it doesn't transfer data so you can't connect the remote controller through it to the iPad to get the video feed.

To get the Fatsharks to work you'll need a 64bit tablet or phone that has a separate HDMI output and data port to connect the remote controller to.

I fly my Mavic Mini using my Skyzone 02x fpv goggles connected via hdmi but I use the Crystal Sky (Litchi flight app) which has a separate HDMI output

Last edited:
Iannes: The AV connector I have is made and sold by Apple. It splits the outgoing signal both to the IPad Mini 5 screen via the connectors lighting port and also to the Fatshark goggles. So when I have the AV connector attached to my iPad I then plug the cord from the Mini 2 into the lighting port on the AV connector. Then I plug a full size to mini HDMI cable into the other port of the AV connector and the other end into my Fatshark Dominater 3 goggles. After that is accomplished I can view whatever is on my iPad mini 5 screen in the Fatshark goggles. My question WAS why does that work perfectly fine until the minute I load the DJI Fly app. Then in the goggles I see the upper and lower menus in the Fly app but no video feed from the drone. I was only trying to use the goggles as it makes it easier to see what is on my iPad mini 5 screen in bright sunlight. I also have a new iPhone and I get the same results as I do with the iPad mini........

Attachments

• 60C50F54-F988-417A-920E-71012C324057.jpeg
    60C50F54-F988-417A-920E-71012C324057.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 9
I've used hdmi on some old (original?) Fatshark goggles. Worked OK but they were at low resolution. I'm getting better results with a 3rd part app like Litchi or Maven and putting my iPhone in some cheap goggles in Virtual Reality mode.
Ahh, now I remember. I purchased android Winnovo T10 tablet which runs the Fly app and has a TV/HDMI output. Since my 2012 era Fatsharks didn't have HDMI in, I used an HDMI to composite converter which gave me a low res image. I'm sure it would be better with your newer HDMI Fatsharks. The Winnova T10 was about $150 CDN a year ago.

Iannes: The AV connector I have is made and sold by Apple. It splits the outgoing signal both to the IPad Mini 5 screen via the connectors lighting port and also to the Fatshark goggles. So when I have the AV connector attached to my iPad I then plug the cord from the Mini 2 into the lighting port on the AV connector. Then I plug a full size to mini HDMI cable into the other port of the AV connector and the other end into my Fatshark Dominater 3 goggles. After that is accomplished I can view whatever is on my iPad mini 5 screen in the Fatshark goggles. My question WAS why does that work perfectly fine until the minute I load the DJI Fly app. Then in the goggles I see the upper and lower menus in the Fly app but no video feed from the drone. I was only trying to use the goggles as it makes it easier to see what is on my iPad mini 5 screen in bright sunlight. I also have a new iPhone and I get the same results as I do with the iPad mini........

What your seeing is only the DJI Fly app running by itself on the iPad without the video feed, because you haven't got the video feed coming from the remote controller to the iPad. The second lightning port (on the AV adapter) you have the remote controller connected to, does not transfer data, it's for connecting a power cable to power the iPad as the main iPad lightning port it taken up by the AV connector lightning connector. See the back of the box in the photo, this diagram has a power adapter (circled in red) connected to the lightning port of the Digital AV adapter.

1612725135102.png

You probably haven't got the telemetry (e.g. battery levels etc.) from the drone showing up either in the upper and lower menus

Last edited:
Reactions: EyesWideShut
Iannes: The AV connector I have is made and sold by Apple. It splits the outgoing signal both to the IPad Mini 5 screen via the connectors lighting port and also to the Fatshark goggles. So when I have the AV connector attached to my iPad I then plug the cord from the Mini 2 into the lighting port on the AV connector. Then I plug a full size to mini HDMI cable into the other port of the AV connector and the other end into my Fatshark Dominater 3 goggles. After that is accomplished I can view whatever is on my iPad mini 5 screen in the Fatshark goggles. My question WAS why does that work perfectly fine until the minute I load the DJI Fly app. Then in the goggles I see the upper and lower menus in the Fly app but no video feed from the drone. I was only trying to use the goggles as it makes it easier to see what is on my iPad mini 5 screen in bright sunlight. I also have a new iPhone and I get the same results as I do with the iPad mini......
What your seeing is only the DJI Fly app running by itself on the iPad without the video feed, because you haven't got the video feed coming from the remote controller to the iPad. The second lightning port (on the AV adapter) you have the remote controller connected to, does not transfer data, it's for connecting a power cable to power the iPad as the main iPad lightning port it taken up by the AV connector lightning.

You probably haven't got the telemetry (e.g. battery levels etc.) from the drone showing up either in the upper and lower menus
I agree with Iannes. That adapter will not provide what you are looking for. There may be a different adapter that will work, but not this one. Good luck getting it all working for you.

@moparherb, I think @lannes has the answer why iOS isn't handling your mini's video signal, so here's a suggestion you might want to explore.

Since the Mini 2 doesn't support 3rd party apps like Litchi and Maven that offer Virtual Reality (VR) split screen views to be used with your phone (in a cheap goggle headset), you may want to try a VR app for iOS on your iPhone. Maybe test that it runs the Fly's FPV camera view split screen before buying the goggles.

So what you guys are telling me is that I can see all the activity on my goggles that is occurring on my iPad mini 5 in this configuration but no video.....I should load a YouTube video on my iPad and see if I can see it in the goggles. This is very hard for me to understand but you guys have done a great job and I guess the picture posted by iannes says it best. I do Thank everyone that tried to make me see what’s up here. THANK YOU......

Last edited:
So what you guys are telling me is that I can see all the activity on my goggles that is occurring on my iPad mini 5 in this configuration but no video.....I should load a YouTube video on my iPad and see if I can see it in the goggles. This is very hard for me to understand but you guys have done a great job and I guess the picture posted by iannes says it best. I do Thank everyone that tried to make me see what’s up here. THANK YOU......

The only video you won't see is the one coming from the drone via the remote controller with your Fatshark configuration. Youtube videos which run on the iPad by themselves will be seen in the Fatsharks as these are being data streamed via your wif-fi connection, this is the wireless data connection.

The video feed from the drone is sent over the airwaves to the DJI remote controller (wireless data connection) , but then data is sent to the DJI Fly app running on the iPad via a lightning cable that connects the remote controller to the iPad. (cable data connection)

What you need to understand is that there is no video feed data from the remote controller getting to the DJI Fly app via the cable connected to the lightning port on the AV adapter. This lightning port does not allow data as it's only for power , there is no cable connection for the data and no video data is getting through from the remote controller.

If you disconnect the AV adapter and plug the remote controller into the iPad directly you will get the video feed as the main lightning port on the iPad supports both data and power.

Last edited:
Iannes: Thank you so very much for your complete explanation. I understand it much better now. It’s hard for an old man to grasp all of this new technology but you made it quite clear how it works. I guess I’ll try other ways to see my screen more clearly in bright sunlight. I have ordered an anti glare screen protector and turned up the brightness and if that still leaves me not seeing the screen good I’ll try a pair of polarized sunglasses. Again I thank you very much for your patients with me.......

Iannes: Thank you so very much for your complete explanation. I understand it much better now. It’s hard for an old man to grasp all of this new technology but you made it quite clear how it works. I guess I’ll try other ways to see my screen more clearly in bright sunlight. I have ordered an anti glare screen protector and turned up the brightness and if that still leaves me not seeing the screen good I’ll try a pair of polarized sunglasses. Again I thank you very much for your patients with me.......

Maybe try a hood for the iPad, this might block out some of the glare. You just need to figure out the size you need.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1