DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Full Specs Wind Speed Rating Is The Same As The Air 2

Sorry but Tony Northrop does this drone stuff for a living so I hope you understand why people trust him more
I think this is the first time I've heard someone mention the Northrups on a forum...

Seriously?

I think the above link is enough to know they aren't avid droners.

If I had to rely on a Youtuber for an unbiased review I would mention SkyHighFilms.
He's pretty good at not just reviewing but also pushing the drones to their limits.

you will soon understand why they should have called it the “mavic 3 pro mini”
Because nobody on this board appears to understand how good this product is. I saw it 2 years ago the second I was shown the cad blueprints.
I have said from the beginning that this will make Air2S obsolete but you’ll see anyway

Except for oa, 4k and occusync 3. Do you think the mini 3 offers any real upgrades?
Well, its 4K60. The 2 had 4K30.

That's the thing, all this provides is slightly more range with OC3 but I think the changeover from WiFi to OC2 was much more dramatic on the Mini 2.

Additionally, having only downward sensors also forced you to be a better pilot with the Mini 2.

I sold off my Mini 2 just as these rumors started surfacing. I was hoping for hyperlapses and the longer battery as the original reviews promised.

The vertical gimbal switch was an added cherry since it would mean making it easier to compose for Instagram during while in flight.

So far, the two key features I have been hoping for have thus been omitted so far.

I picked up a Mavic 3 since I've been saving for it for awhile and made some decent income just with footage I shot on my Mini 2.

My thoughts at this point is to wait for the official launch of the Mini 3 Pro, however, if we're just getting a minor upgrade but at a steep price increase, I'll just pick up a used Mini 2.

Image quality and flight time superior to Air2S in a sub 250g package, not to mention the next generation DJI gimbal/airframe design?

At the expensive of probably far brittle shell.

As I've mentioned before the Mavic Pro allowed for a 90 degree gimbal flip.
The Mini 3 is getting it because its a very popular entry level drone for most people making content only for IG, especially now with IG Reels and TikTok.

Most companies tend to use higher end models to push out revolutionary design changes and then trickle down to lower end models.

The Air2S took the camera from the Mavic 2 Pro, etc.

You're not going to see a trickle up of innovations.

most dji drones are useless in the wind because you cannot move forward without the camera tilting down. Reviews will show how much more superior the 3pro is compared to the legacy designs
That's a fallacy, thousands of DJI users says the contrary. I've filmed with my Air2S at 35 mpg winds without having my gimbal tilted at all. Now, If you want to film in hurricane winds then you are not a droner, you are an idiot.

Last edited:
most dji drones are useless in the wind because you cannot move forward without the camera tilting down. Reviews will show how much more superior the 3pro is compared to the legacy designs
Who to believe? You, or the video in post #8 where we all saw with our own eyes?

Sorry but Tony Northrop does this drone stuff for a living so I hope you understand why people trust him more
Yes, and if Tony Northrop is the source for your BS claims here he's an idiot that does this for a living.

I've seen the actual relative wind performance between an Evo II an a Mini 2, Air 2S, and Mavic 2 Pro.

Autel clearly lies, or has a very misleading interpretation of what wind tolerance means. I will not accept any specs from Autel as proof of anything going forward.

The Evo II has better wind specs than the Nano+. Based on real world tests, I wouldn't buy an Evo or Nano at any price. The aircraft is a POS.

Except for oa, 4k and occusync 3. Do you think the mini 3 offers any real upgrades?

well the obstacle avoidance is useful, no matter how careful you are this can save the drone on your one bad day. but for the more useful stuff is the active track stuff. the ability to have it fly patterns around a GPS point or a moving object is great... ie. a circle around a moving boat while you only worry about camera work etc. Timelapse's are now included. It's basically an Air 2S minus the 1 inch sensor. How much does that matter? Well it certain matters but for most it might not, the Mini 2 was already better than the old Mavic Pro (1) in image quality and I bet with this halfway point point between the Mini 2 and the Air 2S 1 inch sensor most people will be MORE than satisfied with the image quality vs. size/price tradeoff vs. a much larger drone like the Air 2S or the Mavic 3. The new gimbal design is a huge improvement and putting it out front should eliminate the issues with the gimbal being forced down by the wind when traveling near the max speed or ever getting the props in the shot... it might get more damage in a forward crash however.

you will soon understand why they should have called it the “mavic 3 pro mini”
Because nobody on this board appears to understand how good this product is. I saw it 2 years ago the second I was shown the cad blueprints.
I have said from the beginning that this will make Air2S obsolete but you’ll see anyway
Saw it 2 years ago,and was shown the cad blueprints.keeping my cool,here goes.
Your right nobody on this board appears to understand how good this product MIGHT
be.However and for the last time its not out yet,small detail.Please do not reply to this
as I am all done engaging,all done no more.

well the obstacle avoidance is useful, no matter how careful you are this can save the drone on your one bad day. but for the more useful stuff is the active track stuff. the ability to have it fly patterns around a GPS point or a moving object is great... ie. a circle around a moving boat while you only worry about camera work etc. Timelapse's are now included. It's basically an Air 2S minus the 1 inch sensor. How much does that matter? Well it certain matters but for most it might not, the Mini 2 was already better than the old Mavic Pro (1) in image quality and I bet with this halfway point point between the Mini 2 and the Air 2S 1 inch sensor most people will be MORE than satisfied with the image quality vs. size/price tradeoff vs. a much larger drone like the Air 2S or the Mavic 3. The new gimbal design is a huge improvement and putting it out front should eliminate the issues with the gimbal being forced down by the wind when traveling near the max speed or ever getting the props in the shot... it might get more damage in a forward crash however.
Timelapse hasn't been confirmed.
And since it's not on the spec sheet, I'm pretty confident it's not getting it.

But what footage are you trying to capture while moving head first into the wind?

If you're storm chasing you would use a commercial grade drone.
Lack of visibility is an issue trying to go head first into rolling fog.

I see DJi as the new Apple. They don't release products that will cannibalize other products in their line up, especially those that are more expensive.

The iPad has been out for 10 years now and the Pro models sport the same processors as the Macbooks now yet Apple won't release a better iPadOS because it would kill the Macbook Air which is one of their most popular laptops to get people immersed into the eco-system.

I think its safe to say the Mini 3 Pro design has been in the pipelines well before the Mavic 3 launched.

The 90 degree vertical switch is actually a relic they pulled from the original Mavic Pro.

After the release of the spec sheet, its clear this is a mild bump and new body refresh from DJi.
Wind resistance is the same as the Mini 2 which was a dramatic improvement over the Mini 1.
Low light was an issue that plagued the Mini 2 so that has been improved with the new sensor.
And they added obstacle sensors so they can slap the "Pro" label on it.

At this point, I don't think hyperlapses or Mastershots are coming to this model which is fair given its position in the line up.

Both appear to be in the specs here from the first retailer leak. This is a HUGE bump from mini 2 if true, and places it near Air 2S capabilities minus the 1 inch sensor.

Reactions: Swamidoc

I'm sorry... what???? A 78 year old located in Berlin with access to highly sensitive internal DJI information, and all that years before the Mini 3 was even a thought in most people's minds?

Something is definitely not right here and it's getting very tiring...

The main ‘new’ design was already in use by other drones. I just got my anafi and explained to a friend how much better it was compared to DJI. He claimed that DJI would have the same design in a few years, which I did not believe. He then explained his contractor and how they working with a lens or camera company supposedly involved with DJI. Until he showed me the schematics I thought he was mistaken. It did appear to be legit. However it looked much bigger then the first mavic air and also what it is now.
Anyway, when the mavic 3 was teased I thought they got rid of the design as it looked more modern than mavic air 2 yet still the old design.

They plan these things years in advance. It was boxy btw like mavic pro and the OA sensors were in the front legs, not next to the gimbal. I was not able to take a picture but looked real legit, it was not like a fan render, it was a really really big file as that his brand new Titan RTX video card rendered it a not so smooth frame rate. So to create such a file it would not be workable on cheap consumer grade GPUs

Could you show some evidence of it? It would be cool to see those things when they are still early drafts...

Could you show some evidence of it? It would be cool to see those things when they are still early drafts...

I tried to be as cryptic as possible, just wanted to get reactions like “no way my mavic is already perfect!” but Nobody even responded lol.
anyway I can maybe PM you a cad screenshot of released DJI camera products? As those are nowhere to be found on the web would that corroborate my friend working on DJI products or at least having access to internal design files for you?

as for mini 3, at higher upward camera angles, when not oriented vertically, the camera might sometimes pick up the propellers. (As of may 6th 2022, this information does not exist publicly btw)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giku