DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 law question?

jackdaws

Reactions
Hey All,

I have new mini 3. I live in Spain/Cañarías.
Can anyone clarify what I need to do legally regarding licence etc for mini 3?
I’ve searched online and I’m confused, is 249g exempt of licences? I just don’t know. so I thought someone here will know!

I understand the no crowds, fly in sight etc.. I’m more searching for what I need to do if anything before starting to fly.

Thanks everyone.

Hello
Spain is subject to European flight rules. You must register your drone as soon as it is equipped with a camera on the site equivalent to Alpha Tango. you'd have a registration number that you'd have to stick on the drone, that's all. No mandatory training but recommended, you would fly in category A1 with all that this entails as rules to follow.A+patch45 from France

Reactions: jackdaws
While sub 250 gram drone doesn't require passing online A1/A3 test, it should be free to do when registering as operator and hence wise to do while at it.

Spain has very significant restrictions and no fly zones in about everywhere with more people living.

Spain is subject to European flight rules. You must register your drone...
Drone isn't registered in Europe.
It's pilot/owner needing registration as drone operator and that ID number is then attached to all drones.

Reactions: jackdaws
If I'm fully registered in the UK, with ID number clearly affixed to Mini 2, is this OK for Europe (The Canary Islands in particular)?

If not, what do I need to do and where from?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

If I'm fully registered in the UK, with ID number clearly affixed to Mini 2, is this OK for Europe (The Canary Islands in particular)?

If not, what do I need to do and where from?

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Sadly no. Although the criteria are near identical.

It has to be registered in any EU country. Doesn't matter which one.

Try Ireland or Cyprus - both have good, easy, English language registrations. 5 minute process.

Sadly no. Although the criteria are near identical.

It has to be registered in any EU country. Doesn't matter which one.

Try Ireland or Cyprus - both have good, easy, English language registrations. 5 minute process.
Thanks for this @Cymru, much appreciated. I will try the Irish ☘️ one, I think.

By the way, do you know if the sub-250g rules are basically the same as here in the UK? I am thinking of taking my Mini 2 (or a Mini 3 Pro if I can get over my frustration at the curved-horizon-with-auto-panos not being fixed).

All being well, I’ll be in Cymru on Thursday: taking our Electric Vehicle on first long run to the Brecon Beacons. I can laugh at all the fossil fuel drivers paying a fortune for fuel; but I will be laughing on the other side of my face in October when my fixed term energy deal ends and I have to face……the price cap!

Thanks for this @Cymru, much appreciated. I will try the Irish ☘️ one, I think.

By the way, do you know if the sub-250g rules are basically the same as here in the UK? I am thinking of taking my Mini 2 (or a Mini 3 Pro if I can get over my frustration at the curved-horizon-with-auto-panos not being fixed).

All being well, I’ll be in Cymru on Thursday: taking our Electric Vehicle on first long run to the Brecon Beacons. I can laugh at all the fossil fuel drivers paying a fortune for fuel; but I will be laughing on the other side of my face in October when my fixed term energy deal ends and I have to face……the price cap!
EASA drone laws::- Open Category - Civil Drones | EASA
Basically, yes same as UK *BUT* each country can add on no-fly zones on top of that so you have to check the local app and rules. Italy for example is very restricted in where you can fly. Greece too.

As for the EVs - those of us in the beacons laugh at them with the woeful range on hills as they get more and more panicked desperately trying to find anywhere at all to charge the things that isn't Cardiff. It really is amusing to see !

• Haha
Reactions: CJG
EASA drone laws::- Open Category - Civil Drones | EASA
Basically, yes same as UK *BUT* each country can add on no-fly zones on top of that so you have to check the local app and rules. Italy for example is very restricted in where you can fly. Greece too.

As for the EVs - those of us in the beacons laugh at them with the woeful range on hills as they get more and more panicked desperately trying to find anywhere at all to charge the things that isn't Cardiff. It really is amusing to see !
Thanks @Cymru: we are going on a walking holiday to La Gomera, so I will have to check on NFZs there.

As for EV's, thanks for the Vote of Confidence! Newport is also good for chargers, although my route plan includes Cardiff Gate Services/Cardiff Tesla Supercharger site (now open to Non-Tesla Drivers like me!). I have plenty of charge stops planned, just in case!

General warning, really DO expect most of the listed charger stations to not actually be working or available when you turn up.
I know several people completely caught out by it. Your range will drop off severely once you hit the hilly,windy roads depending exactly where you are going.
If its pen-y-fan or waterfalls expect the parking to be full by 8am on a weekend too....

You're brave taking a car to Newport - i wouldn't take anything there you didn't want to see on bricks or on fire 10 mins later.....

General warning, really DO expect most of the listed charger stations to not actually be working or available when you turn up.
I know several people completely caught out by it. Your range will drop off severely once you hit the hilly,windy roads depending exactly where you are going.
If its pen-y-fan or waterfalls expect the parking to be full by 8am on a weekend too....

You're brave taking a car to Newport - i wouldn't take anything there you didn't want to see on bricks or on fire 10 mins later.....
Thanks @Cymru !

Yes, It’s Pen-y-Fan, but we are going this Thursday and aim to be there by about 0900 (0400am start!!)

So far, the charging stations I have been monitoring seem reliable……

Daytime it'll be fine most likely, especially that early (assume you're going to the main car park and up the granny track route).
45-60 mins to the top. Be careful if drone flying near Corn Du - so called "hurricane alley". Even if winds are calm it funnels through the gap between CD and the ridge and can be 30-40kts with up currents. Moving a hundred metres is fine though.
Be slightly alert for gliders and Chinooks, especially on a Thursday as Sennybridge is usually very active.

Daytime it'll be fine most likely, especially that early (assume you're going to the main car park and up the granny track route).
45-60 mins to the top. Be careful if drone flying near Corn Du - so called "hurricane alley". Even if winds are calm it funnels through the gap between CD and the ridge and can be 30-40kts with up currents. Moving a hundred metres is fine though.
Be slightly alert for gliders and Chinooks, especially on a Thursday as Sennybridge is usually very active.
Thanks for this. Much appreciated

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998