DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 (not the pro) questions answered

3rdof5

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Greetings Pilots,
Searching for info on the mini 3 (not the Pro) leads to many many threads and very few of my questions answered so I though I'd share what I've learned here.
ACTUAL WEIGHT: ready to fly mine weighs exactly 245 grams. Oddly the DJI RC is heavier at 388 grams.
CHARGING: the DJI 65 watt charger included with the Mavic 3 will NOT charge mine. It tries, then shuts off and repeats. I don't believe the mini 3 BMS can handle the 65 watt charger (although it should). I can't report on whether the mini 3 Pro will accept the 65 watt charger.
I don't own the recommended DJI 30 watt charger but my Samsung fast charger for my phone and tablet charges it at 9 volts with no issues.
FLIGHT TIME: so far, I have reached 28 minutes in N mode, mostly hovering in medium wind with the standard battery, in air temps between 4 and 10C. Battery temp never exceeded 32C.
WIND RESISTANCE: the mini 3 (and the Pro) handle wind SURPRISINGLY WELL! These little birds clearly have to fight harder and react faster in the wind than the bigger birds do, but they manage to do that very well. This has impressed me the most.
RANGE: I can't report on range (with the DJI RC) but I didn't buy this bird for long range flights and as long as you can see it in the air (VLOS), your RC will never have signal issues.
CLOSEST AIRCRAFT COMPARISON: In my experience, in terms of capabilities, the mini 3 is pretty much a miniature Phantom 3 Pro. Both capture 4K at 30FPS (Max) with a very similar camera. Neither have OA but both have ground sensors, meaning they both require careful piloting to avoid crashes, especially in RTH scenarios.
The biggest differences is obvs the P3P can handle wind easier as it weighs almost 1KG more, in fact in very high wind I trust my Phantom even more than my Mavic 3 Classic, but the mini 3 is alot more fun in tight spaces and trumps the P3P with it's digital zoom and portrait mode.
BATTERY OVERCURRENT: I have not had this warning, yet, but from all I have read this typically occurs when the aircraft is pushed hard in Sport mode, and occurs more often with the Plus battery (likely because the aircraft is heavier and working harder) but can happen even with the regular battery. This seems to be a common issue, but I have not read anything about it causing a crash.
EDIT: one other thing I'd like to note is while the mini 3 and mini 3 Pro share the same heritage, they are very different aircraft. They are not identical in core functions. For example, the DJI RC is compatible with both, but the RC-PRO will only connect to the mini 3 Pro.
Charging compatibility is also different, but the batteries are the same for both.
I have not found any info on any other mini 3 specific issues other than they get hot if powered on for a long time with no props running so it's recommended to have a cooling fan blowing on it when powered on and not flying.
If anyone has further info to add please do so!
Happy Flying!

Last edited:
Thats pretty good list , overheating of the unit while flying sets off a forced landing.
The Mini 3 will not last more than about 1 min in the Pouring Rain without burning out all its Sensors and although it will not crash , it also will not start up again.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 3 in the Rain.

Reactions: 3rdof5
what will happen if i put tape over the scensors?
I find it quite anoying when im about to land it and take it with my hand, and if i come to close to the scensors, it will go up right away.
I actuaaly hit my finger in the propeller yesterday haha.
Would be better if it could just land in my hand.

I have never tried it but from I've read covering them with tape effectively disables them.

CHARGING: the DJI 65 watt charger included with the Mavic 3 will NOT charge mine. It tries, then shuts off and repeats. I don't believe the mini 3 BMS can handle the 65 watt charger (although it should). I can't report on whether the mini 3 Pro will accept the 65 watt charger.
I don't own the recommended DJI 30 watt charger but my Samsung fast charger for my phone and tablet charges it at 9 volts with no issues.
As the world is rapidly switching over to the Power Deliver and USB-C standards, I find it almost essential to have one of these. Eliminates much head-scratching when charging stuff from PD chargers.

Unlike most of the power readout cables available, this is very accurate, and cycles through voltage, current, power, accumulated energy (mAh), and charge time.

I've got 2, one in my "man purse", the other at home. J5create USB-C meter cable at Amazon:
61BbQx6E4DL._SL1500_.jpg

Oh that man-purse? A Tour lumbar pack from Mountainsmith. Got too much stuff to haul around everywhere these days. Still feel pretty manly 😁

Capture_daab8a97-5bcf-4c60-8109-b67f56042785_1200x.jpg

Reactions: @Rip
what will happen if i put tape over the scensors?
I find it quite anoying when im about to land it and take it with my hand, and if i come to close to the scensors, it will go up right away.
I actuaaly hit my finger in the propeller yesterday haha.
Would be better if it could just land in my hand.

Reactions: Joe Horn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_