DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Postponed???

"China has all but shutdown manufacturing and shipping on account of Covid."

That's a bit of an overstatement, isn't it? There are shutdowns but only localized ones.

Nah, 10th May is the current thinking.

Tomorrow is the day, right?

Clearly not. They give at least a few days notice on their website, for any upcoming announcement events. Right now there is nothing.

Lots of slowdowns, bottlenecks, delays but nothing like "China has all but shutdown manufacturing and shipping on account of Covid."

Coverage by outlets other than Yahoo doesn't sound so negative either.

Reactions: Chaosrider
Lots of slowdowns, bottlenecks, delays but nothing like "China has all but shutdown manufacturing and shipping on account of Covid."

Coverage by outlets other than Yahoo doesn't sound so negative either.
Hmmm... seems that "all but" covered your objection.

Some parts of China are completely locked down. Google the situation in Shenzen...

"China has all but shutdown manufacturing and shipping on account of Covid."

That's a bit of an overstatement, isn't it? There are shutdowns but only localized ones.
Yea, but "localized" to huge manufacturing areas. FORTUNE Magazine website: "According to shipping analytics firm Windward, 20% of the world’s roughly 9,000 active container ships are currently sitting in traffic jams outside congested ports. Close to 30% of that backlog alone is in China—double the domestic congestion rate in February—where a virulent Omicron wave is snarling supply lines." Shanghai has been in total lockdown for weeks and Beijing is following. Shenzen just opened up. This month, it took me a week to get a DHL box with some small diving lights from Shenzen to Hong Kong, which are right next to each other. Once in HK then it moved normally. China's crazy COVID policy is causing big business problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: cc_jim
Yea, but "localized" to huge manufacturing areas. FORTUNE Magazine website: "According to shipping analytics firm Windward, 20% of the world’s roughly 9,000 active container ships are currently sitting in traffic jams outside congested ports. Close to 30% of that backlog alone is in China—double the domestic congestion rate in February—where a virulent Omicron wave is snarling supply lines." Shanghai has been in total lockdown for weeks and Beijing is following. Shenzen just opened up. This month, it took me a week to get a DHL box with some small diving lights from Shenzen to Hong Kong, which are right next to each other. Once in HK then it moved normally. China's crazy COVID policy is causing big business problems.
This isn't a point worth belaboring, especially on a drone forum. There are manufacturing and shipping delays but not a near shut down in the entire nation of China. (30% of 20% is 6% of container ships sitting in Chinese ports.)

Let's agree that there are very serious, but not nearly entire, shutdowns and delays and go fly something. It's a still night here, so I think I'll do some a sunset time lapse.

I do remember posting November release on this , seems were getting closer to my target date and the smarter business decision for DJI as we near xmas .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Posted 18 hours ago... don't hold your collective breaths. : "Shanghai, the most important metropolis in China and the busiest container port on the planet, is in full lockdown as authorities face yet one more wave of COVID-19."

That said, if there really and truly is a Mini 3 coming in 2022, I'd truly considering getting one. I have been quite happy with my Mini 2. But I am not thinking it will be any time soon until China takes a new tack on how it handles COVID.

Reactions: cc_jim
Posted 18 hours ago... don't hold your collective breaths. : "Shanghai, the most important metropolis in China and the busiest container port on the planet, is in full lockdown as authorities face yet one more wave of COVID-19."

That said, if there really and truly is a Mini 3 coming in 2022, I'd truly considering getting one. I have been quite happy with my Mini 2. But I am not thinking it will be any time soon until China takes a new tack on how it handles COVID.
You could be right,but I think they will find a way to release it on May10th as projected.

Reactions: TheRock
The initial shipments have likely been on a container ship for a few weeks already.

Reactions: Aerophile
until China takes a new tack on how it handles COVID.
They could start by purchasing American vaccines, and pour their homebrew down the, how do the Brits put it, Loo?

As disappointing as the actual efficacy of the US vaccines has turned out to be, they still do provide some significant protection, if not immunity. This is substantially better than the Chinese vaccines are performing, or so I've read.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk