DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S in both photo and video

There's something going on with uneven sharpness with that lens from some images I have seen. From those same charts the 48 MP 100 ISO image for example the bottom chevron (right image) is looking a lot mushier than the top chevron (left image) you wouldn't see it in video so much but apparent in stills...

View attachment 148142

..would be good to see a test with the grass in each corner and middle...
These are far corners so it's expected that they would be slightly blurrier, especially at f1.7

Need to see more. The Mini is definitely sharper than the 2S, and that will likely lead to more and better details. But in the images shown it's got some noise/color issues going on. The bottom two shots are the 1600 ISO shots and you can see the Mini has coloring and noise issues. Look at the grass in the last shot, more details and sharper in the AMini over the 2S, but also some weird coloring that shouldn't be there.

I suspect in the "Real world" and not these test shots, the Mini 3 Pro will allow more details to be seen and the noise and coloring issues won't show as much so it might be better in a lot of cases. But I can see other cases where the noise and color issues are more troublesome than the loss of detail.

Either way, based on the information we have so far, doesn't seem like a "no brainer" to me. I'd like to see a lot more videos between them to determine.

View attachment 148138View attachment 148139View attachment 148140
The pictures of the Mini 3 in this shot are from the 48MP mode. It is definitely noisier at high ISO than the A2S in some cases, which is expected due to the size of the sensor and the size of the pixels. We will be posting a video tomorrow with a comparison between the 48MP and 12MP and you will see how impressive the Mini3 is with ISO treatment. I had to check the RAW data 10 times yesterday to even believe that the pictures were ISO3200 and 6400.
Here's the set of full size images at 48MP for the Mini 3: Login - Dropbox

And here's the full size images for the Air 2S: From RAW

It's actually not. That's what we thought at first but the center of the chart is in focus, the lens is just less sharp. We tested it twice. The same issue happens with actual in flight footage.
Here's a link to the full size images, including RAW files, of the Mini 3. We will have more comparison with the A2S in a few days.

And here's the full size images for the Air 2S, including RAW: From RAW
Thanks for your review, work, and objective assessment !

The Pilot Institute does good work but they are not God. They are not even photographers, they are pilots and educators. I want to know what real professionally trained photographers think. As I mentioned on another thread, the test Pilot Institute posted only focused on contrast of the photo, totally glossing over the noise in all the color. Here's a sample of their work. Tell me which one has smother color. Look at how much noise there is in the yellow and green tones.

View attachment 148122

Look at how much noise is in the "white" part of the photo on the left.

View attachment 148123
Greg has been teaching photography at a large university for the last 6 years. He also has owned his own photography company for years and has been photographing various things for almost 20 years. We were extremely careful when shooting these images to ensure we have consistent results.
The analysis is in the eyes of the beholder. You might like more contrast, you might like less noise. You have to take into account both of them when making a decision. The results are our personal opinion, everyone can come up with their own, this is why we linked to the full-size image.
And we love the Air2S, it has been our backup camera for a long time. With that said, the Mini 3 has an impressive camera. We will be posting the results of our 12MP test tomorrow and I think a lot of people will be very impressed.

Mini 3 files: Login - Dropbox
Air 2S files: From RAW

So we have personal interpretation of published reviews where the reviews are drawing different conclusions compared to what posters are claiming here. Outside taken pictures show much more dynamic range, however, people will claim they don’t see it so I don’t know what the purpose is then.

so lets turn it around:
is there ANY review claiming Air2S is sharper with more dynamic range?

if there is it can be linked in 20 seconds, no?
Interpreting photo quality can be very difficult, especially when comparing shots outside, in different light, even if they were shot one after the other. That's why we decided to test ours in a controlled environment, using false colors and histograms to ensure we get even lighting throughout the chart. We also use lights with the same color temperature and set all the drones to the same white balance, this helps us notice when colors are changing, like the Mini 3 Pro does when getting to ISO1600 (the second dual native ISO).
Everyone has preferences when it comes to what they like in an image, Some are not fans of sharper images, while others prefer less noise. This is why we give our opinion but also provide the data so everyone can decide if this is a drone for them. The Air2S is still an amazing drone and still has features that aren't available in the Mini 3 Pro.

You have an Air2S, I understand. However the written review is different from your observations. And the shot the video and analysed it
I was doing serious analysis, because I have the opportunity return my Air 2S for free and buy a Mini 3 Pro instead. My objective opinion saw the pros and cons of the Air 2S and I prefer it over the Mini 3.

Reactions: YVRGUY and Skyryder
I was doing serious analysis, because I have the opportunity return my Air 2S for free and buy a Mini 3 Pro instead. My objective opinion saw the pros and cons of the Air 2S and I prefer it over the Mini 3.
In that case Google ”confirmation bias”, there is not really an objective opinion.

”I prefer a drone that has less noise in case I need to shoot a Color chart at ISO1600! I don’t care about sharpness, resolution, other iso and/or dynamic range”

you look for reasons to validate a choice you already made

In that case Google ”confirmation bias”, there is not really an objective opinion.

”I prefer a drone that has less noise in case I need to shoot a Color chart at ISO1600! I don’t care about sharpness, resolution, other iso and/or dynamic range”

but high ISO noise is a huge issue in determining the quality of low light image which is why your drone would be shooting at high ISO. you can have a lens be sharp as hell (which eventually can actually result in a worse looking image to many) but a noisy low light image is unpleasant, a much smoother if slightly less sharp image would by most be considered superior.
look, again, I'm not trying to knock the mini 3 pro, I'm excited for mine to arrive... nor am I saying the camera is anything but great, I'm just continually shocked by how you have made it a hill to die on that somehow the mini 3 dumps all over the air 2s camera and magically negates the very real advantages of a 1 inch sensor. the mini 3 may well have a better camera, and the pilot institute folks are doing great work (thanks guys!) but your characterization of just how much better the mini 3 pro camera is and not acknowledging its weaknesses is weird don't you think?

but high ISO noise is a huge issue in determining the quality of low light image. you can have a lens be sharp as hell (which eventually can actually result in a worse looking image to many) but a noisy low light image is unpleasant, a much smoother if slightly less sharp image would by most be considered superior.
look, again, I'm not trying to knock the mini 3 pro, I'm excited for mine to arrive... nor am I saying the camera is anything but great, I'm just continually shocked by how you have made it a hill to die on that somehow the mini 3 dumps all over the air 2s camera and magically negates the very real advantages of a 1 inch sensor. the mini 3 may well have a better camera, and the pilot institute folks are doing great work (thanks guys!) but your characterization of just how much better the mini 3 pro camera is and not acknowledging its weaknesses is weird don't you think?
My reaction is with the knowledge of “It is definitely noisier at high ISO than the A2S in some cases, which is expected due to the size of the sensor and the size of the pixels. We will be posting a video tomorrow with a comparison between the 48MP and 12MP and you will see how impressive the Mini3 is with ISO treatment. I had to check the RAW data 10 times yesterday to even believe that the pictures were ISO3200 and 6400.”

slightly less sharp preference is great, as 12MP is exactly that lol!

This is the ultimate pot calling the kettle.....

You made a statement about them before it was even released without any samples of it and now that we have some samples and opinions about those that in some cases don't necessarily agree with your opinion you don't want to hear it and dismiss it as "confirmation bias". That is the ultimate confirmation bias.

As I stated above, I think for pictures the Mini Pro might be better in many real world applications, but not all.
For video,I want to see some more comparisons that are coming (at least one video is done but not yet released) but I think if you want to pop a video out of the drone and use it as-is, the Mini 3 is probably better. In that sense, the Air 2's intelligent modes were better than the 2S in some cases as well. For those that are more particular and will spend time color grading and correcting, I suspect from some early comments (without real comparisons) that the Air 2S will be quite a bit better.

I'd like to see more, but seems many photos and point and shoot video go to the Mini. Professional or more experienced video users probably will like the Air 2S and will get better video results from it-- all from what I've seen so far without detailed side by side comparisons or my hands on it. Maybe we learn something different soon that changes my very amateur opinion.

My biggest challenge is that the Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro was more or less the same price for me.

The A2S sensor does seem to have a lot of blurring near the edges compared to the M3P based on the image data back, and now I'm leaning more towards the M3P. M3P would require more post process work for the right colors but in many senses technically better but have limitations.

My biggest challenge is that the Air 2S and Mini 3 Pro was more or less the same price for me.

The A2S sensor does seem to have a lot of blurring near the edges compared to the M3P based on the image data back, and now I'm leaning more towards the M3P. M3P would require more post process work for the right colors but in many senses technically better but have limitations.

I mean honestly if they are the same price it comes down to 3 things...

1. do you want the new inexpensive screen based remote that only mini 3 offers?

2. do you plan on doing a lot of post processing of video with color grading, then perhaps Air 2S is better, but straight from camera then perhaps mini 3 is better. (both are likely near identical to the untrained eye anyway.)

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: do you want or need the FORM factor of the mini? you can't make the Air 2S smaller after you buy it... the mini 3 is incredibly tiny, photos and video don't do it justice so if you plan on traveling a lot, throwing it into a regular hiking backpack etc. then Mini 3 is a big win.

Does the mini3 process "raw" files? Some of the samples have that strand-like granularity rather than random dots. It's the same look you get after processing in Topaz.

I mean honestly if they are the same price it comes down to 3 things...

1. do you want the new inexpensive screen based remote that only mini 3 offers?

2. do you plan on doing a lot of post processing of video with color grading, then perhaps Air 2S is better, but straight from camera then perhaps mini 3 is better. (both are likely near identical to the untrained eye anyway.)

3. MOST IMPORTANTLY: do you want or need the FORM factor of the mini? you can't make the Air 2S smaller after you buy it... the mini 3 is incredibly tiny, photos and video don't do it justice so if you plan on traveling a lot, throwing it into a regular hiking backpack etc. then Mini 3 is a big win.
The Mini 3 is somewhat larger than the Mini 2.

Good photo size comparison between Mini 2, Mini 3, and Air 2S here:

So we have personal interpretation of published reviews where the reviews are drawing different conclusions compared to what posters are claiming here. Outside taken pictures show much more dynamic range, however, people will claim they don’t see it so I don’t know what the purpose is then.

so lets turn it around:
is there ANY review claiming Air2S is sharper with more dynamic range?

if there is it can be linked in 20 seconds, no?
That's a false argument. The Air 2S came out a year ago and no one is going to be bothered comparing it to a Mini. Only Mini 3 fanboys are obsessed with this comparison pushing the idea that a smaller 12 megapixel (with fake quad 48) sensor is somehow better than a 1" inch true 20 megapixel one with 10 bit color.

The Pilot Institue is a school for drone pilots, not a photographic reasearch facility. Their tests are not anymore accurate than any blogger doing the same thing. It's their opinion, it's not a scientific comparison. And even then, their own pics look more noisy in the solid color range than the Air 2S.

Here's some food for thought, did the Pilot Institute use a brand new Air 2S or did they use one sitting on their shelf for a year? Maybe it's just a flawed model or one that's showing some sings of and aging sensor. We have all seen iphones that have flawed screens with weird color shifts within the same model, there is always variation in mass produced products. A true scientific test would involve more than just one model of each. They would take at least 3 or more, maybe 10 of each and average out the results. And they would all be brand new. Doubt they did that.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
Thanks Greg, I'm sure if it had f5.6 this wouldn't be an issue but you can't have everything :) Love to know if you will be testing like this against the Mavic 3?? Cheers
Yes we will. We have collected images for the Mavic 3 in our chart but we are processing the samples right now. We collected 46 pictures (one for each F-stop at each ISO) so it's going to take a little longer to make sense of the data and decide what to show to not be overwhelming.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent