DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S in both photo and video

Here's some food for thought, did the Pilot Institute use a brand new Air 2S or did they use one sitting on their shelf for a year? Maybe it's just a flawed model or one that's showing some sings of and aging sensor. We have all seen iphones that have flawed screens with weird color shifts within the same model, there is always variation in mass produced products. A true scientific test would involve more than just one model of each. They would take at least 3 or more, maybe 10 of each and average out the results. And they would all be brand new. Doubt they did that.
I would like to see some data points and the research regarding sensors aging and how it affects quality. I wasn't able to find anything online on that topic. Do you have some?
If what you say is true, someone buying an Air2S (or any older drones) today would need to make sure they don't buy an "expired" model that is 6 months old? 12 months old? 3 months old? The Air2S came out in April 2021, are you saying that people shouldn't buy a used drone because the sensor expires? Or is the test valid because it would compare how an average Air2S would perform today in comparison to a brand drone?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pommy and Torque
Yes we will. We have collected images for the Mavic 3 in our chart but we are processing the samples right now. We collected 46 pictures (one for each F-stop at each ISO) so it's going to take a little longer to make sense of the data and decide what to show to not be overwhelming.
Can't wait! Thanks :)

Reactions: Torque
Sensor aging is not a thing in terrestrial applications. Definitely a thing in space applications where cosmic rays and hi levels of radiation can destroy pixels degrade sensitivity.

So the only thing that should really be aging is the battery.

Sensor aging is not a thing in terrestrial applications. Definitely a thing in space applications where cosmic rays and hi levels of radiation can destroy pixels degrade sensitivity.

So the only thing that should really be aging is the battery.
Sensors definitely can exhibit issues with age, see the Leica M9's sensor corrosion issues. Despite that, I agree that the age of the sensor isn't an issue here.

More broadly, I can say that the Mini 3 Pro has the same issue with all the quad bayer designs, and that's poor handling of fine details. You get false colors, color artifacts, etc.

I would like to see some data points and the research regarding sensors aging and how it affects quality. I wasn't able to find anything online on that topic. Do you have some?
If what you say is true, someone buying an Air2S (or any older drones) today would need to make sure they don't buy an "expired" model that is 6 months old? 12 months old? 3 months old? The Air2S came out in April 2021, are you saying that people shouldn't buy a used drone because the sensor expires? Or is the test valid because it would compare how an average Air2S would perform today in comparison to a brand drone?
Don’t let it get to you, he merely tries to discredit your work. You guys have an excellent approach especially with how you tested multiple drones at the same time. This already goes further then anybody ever attempted.

He absolutely does not want to accept that mini 3 pro has better image characteristics compared to air2s in certain areas.

first: you guys knew nothing about photography
second: you were just bloggers same as anyone
then: you didn’t use a new drone as the sensor would have aged (???)
also: you didn’t use 3 or 10 drones

conslusion: he will never accept your results and conclusions.
just wait a little while as everybody will have the same conclusion as you

Don’t let it get to you, he merely tries to discredit your work. You guys have an excellent approach especially with how you tested multiple drones at the same time. This already goes further then anybody ever attempted.

He absolutely does not want to accept that mini 3 pro has better image characteristics compared to air2s in certain areas.

I agree with this conclusion. I sold my Air 2S a week ago, and I'm glad I did. The Mini 3 Pro is incredible, and I can't wait to get mine.

Yeah, pretty funny how biased that guy is against the Mini 3 Pro.

Other than availability, I really see no reason to buy an Air 2S over a M3P right now.

Air 2S is still great, and I wouldn't upgrade to an M3P if I had one.

But if I was choosing between the two, there's only one smart choice.

Ok Pilot Institute's daylight comparison video is out between the Mini 2 / Mini 3 Pro / Air 2S.

The results show the Mini 2 is much worse than the others but I find the image between the Mini 3 Pro and Air 2S essentially close to identical with only slight variations that give one or the other the "win" based on preference and specific lighting. The moment they zoom into 4x on the image though you see the Air 2S suddenly is a clear winner with far less noise and warbling of the image thanks to its larger sensor and 10 bit color.

It just goes to show what a powerhouse the cheaper and smaller Mini 3 Pro is that the image is the equal of the Air 2S straight out of camera, but if you are a color grading master it might still benefit you to keep your Air 2S so you have the added headroom of changing the image it provides.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rudiger
All technology like this fails over time. LCD screens, OLED screens and I am sure camera sensors with constant exposed to like eventually fail. If you take a drone or a camera for that matter into extreme weather like heat and cold just the fact alone that things expand and contract with temp changes could cause wear on an item. LCD's get burn it, for example. Or, just the constant bumps from landings could loosen things over time. All I am saying is a more scientific method of testing would be to use both drones brand new out of the box.

• Haha
All technology like this fails over time. LCD screens, OLED screens and I am sure camera sensors with constant exposed to like eventually fail. If you take a drone or a camera for that matter into extreme weather like heat and cold just the fact alone that things expand and contract with temp changes could cause wear on an item. LCD's get burn it, for example. Or, just the constant bumps from landings could loosen things over time. All I am saying is a more scientific method of testing would be to use both drones brand new out of the box.
Your perhaps-it's-a-factor scenario isn't something that is observed with camera sensors in the real world.
It's not a thing.
And it's not like an Air 2S has been around long enough to age anyway.
The first examples only hit the market two years ago.

Yeah, pretty funny how biased that guy is against the Mini 3 Pro.

Other than availability, I really see no reason to buy an Air 2S over a M3P right now.

Air 2S is still great, and I wouldn't upgrade to an M3P if I had one.

But if I was choosing between the two, there's only one smart choice.
Well, here you go. Some good reasons the Air 2S is better choice. D-Log 10 Bit video, 5K (which they failed to show) and higher zoom options.

Bottom line, the Mini 3 Pro is a great little drone, but the Air 2S has better Pro quality video.

NOTE, They got the specs wrong, the Air 2S has Ocusync 3 not Ocusync 2.

Last edited:
Ok Pilot Institute's daylight comparison video is out between the Mini 2 / Mini 3 Pro / Air 2S.

The results show the Mini 2 is much worse than the others but I find the image between the Mini 3 Pro and Air 2S essentially close to identical with only slight variations that give one or the other the "win" based on preference and specific lighting. The moment they zoom into 4x on the image though you see the Air 2S suddenly is a clear winner with far less noise and warbling of the image thanks to its larger sensor and 10 bit color.

It just goes to show what a powerhouse the cheaper and smaller Mini 3 Pro is that the image is the equal of the Air 2S straight out of camera, but if you are a color grading master it might still benefit you to keep your Air 2S so you have the added headroom of changing the image it provides.

The rig they used to film the comparison videos. I thought this was pretty cool.

1652403060134.png

Here's the way I looked at it. If you're going to use the content straight out of the drone pretty much as is, it would seem that the Mini 3 Pro is configured for exactly that, just like a lot of point and shoots having that little extra sharpness and contrast out of the camera with the image processing tuned specifically for that.

If I had not gotten my Air 2S a few days ago, and saw the Mini 3 Pro release, I still would have gotten the Air 2S. Why? Because I can't do 10-bit color in a DLG/HLG Color Profile on the Mini 3, and for grading work, 10-bit color matters.

But if you're primarily going to use the drone for photography, the Mini 3 does seem to be a much more attractive option especially if you're comfortable utilizing the DNG raws but more so if you just want crisp Jpegs out of the camera.

That's the other thing about the specs though, at 1/1.3" sensor the same aperture (f/2.8) is going to have image degradation due to diffraction compared to the slightly larger 1" sensor. For example on the smaller 1/2.3" sensor of the mini, 2.8 is already on the edge of breaking down the image quality a little. So that f/1.7 aperture helps against diffraction.

The other thing is the Mini 3 is a 24mm equivalent focal length versus a 35mm equivalent. The wider FOV with smaller sensor generally means a larger perceived depth of field (a larger front-to-back perceived sharpness of the focused area), versus a larger sensor that is also a longer lens, that depth of field is shallower and the perceived sharpness can seem softer if it's not locked onto a clear subject, even if the longer lens is stopped down 1.6 stops from f/1.7 lens.

But for less than a grand for a kit that includes a remote that doesn't require an expensive smart phone or tablet? That's kind of hard to beat especially if you are mainly just wanting it pre-processed right out of the drone without the intention of pushing it further in post.

He's in the UK, I'm not sure if they have that requirement or if he is just not following it.
UK's CAA have pretty much the same rules like in EASA countries, as before Brexit, that was a common effort to harmonise between the member states.

That said, there's no requirement like in the US from the FAA to carry additional strobe lights.
The legal requirement is one green strobe while night flights (recreational flights are prohibited from night flights anyway).

Reactions: MS Coast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake