DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S in both photo and video

That's the other thing about the specs though, at 1/1.3" sensor the same aperture (f/2.8) is going to have image degradation due to diffraction compared to the slightly larger 1" sensor. For example on the smaller 1/2.3" sensor of the mini, 2.8 is already on the edge of breaking down the image quality a little. So that f/1.7 aperture helps against diffraction.

The other thing is the Mini 3 is a 24mm equivalent focal length versus a 35mm equivalent. The wider FOV with smaller sensor generally means a larger perceived depth of field (a larger front-to-back perceived sharpness of the focused area), versus a larger sensor that is also a longer lens, that depth of field is shallower and the perceived sharpness can seem softer if it's not locked onto a clear subject, even if the longer lens is stopped down 1.6 stops from f/1.7 lens.
I think thats the thing I noticed on the Air 2S vs Mini 3 footage, the Air 2S feels very soft and cinematic like compared to the Mini 3 which looks like its from early phone / digital cameras due to aperture. I wasn't able to describe that feel like you have. The Mini 3 gives more detail, and sharpness but it feels too sharp kind of like 120 Hz TVs / 48 FPS film / Soap opera effect.

All technology like this fails over time. LCD screens, OLED screens and I am sure camera sensors with constant exposed to like eventually fail. If you take a drone or a camera for that matter into extreme weather like heat and cold just the fact alone that things expand and contract with temp changes could cause wear on an item. LCD's get burn it, for example. Or, just the constant bumps from landings could loosen things over time. All I am saying is a more scientific method of testing would be to use both drones brand new out of the box.

LCD screens do not get burn in, but OLED screens do.

I believe it's the other way around. It was a selling point of OLED that they don't get burned in being newer than LCD and LED tech.
Nope. OLED suffers badly from burn-in compared to LCD. Just ask my buddy with a 55" LG OLED who has the YouTube menu burned in to his TV.

Haven’t received my Mini 3 Pro yet, so I can’t test it, but I’m really pleased with the camera on the Air 2S.

It’s amazing how far we’ve come camera wise. I remember being blown away with the camera quality of the original Mavic Pro. And the Air 2S blows that away. To think that the Mini 3 Pro might surpass that is mind boggling.

I believe it's the other way around. It was a selling point of OLED that they don't get burned in being newer than LCD and LED tech.

it's actually the opposite, although the most recent OLED screens suffer from it less.

DLP - burn in, but rare
Plasma - burn in, often and severe
LCD/LED - very rare burn in, almost never
OLED - burn in is a moderate issue, but recent sets are less susceptible and have software that "cleans" the screen from time to time to mitigate the issue.

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I just want a variable apperture drone that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
I have Air 2s and while it has fantastic video quality, I really miss variable aperture.
Sure I could sell that and get Mavic 2 Pro, but I think Mavic 2 Pro is too big of a downgrade in many fields to get that variable aperture.

Sensor aging, lol. I think I've heard enough in this thread.

Air 2s has a larger sensor that is capable of collecting more light. This translated in a higher dynamic range as well as less grain with a higher ISO.
That's a huge deal for us who are interested in raw footage and edit videos/photos afterwards. I'm more interested in having a clear image after boosting shadows and other details without the video/photo looking like @ss.

Now it's absolutely possible that M3P has a much sharper image compared to Air 2s but that I'm almost certain has nothing to do with its sensor but the lens used.

Say you have 2 cameras that are released within the same time frame (say not more than 3-5 years between them), each with different lenses. A high end €5000 camera and a crappy €200 lens and a mid range €1000 camera with a top end €2000 prime lens.
The low end camera will produce sharper images.

There's a possibility that the filter is dirty or distorted leaning to less sharp images. As the filter on Air 2s is removable, I wonder if it was tested with or without it.

Last edited:
Dont really see the Air2S as "better" than a M2P.
Image quality is roughly the same, variable aperture is fantastic. No more having to come back to change filters to move between photo and video flights.

Dont really see the Air2S as "better" than a M2P.
Image quality is roughly the same, variable aperture is fantastic. No more having to come back to change filters to move between photo and video flights.

Air 2s pros:
Size
150mbps bitrate
Better controller (I prefer my phone to be on top)
5.4k resolution as well as a digital zoom
Wider FoV

Mavic 2 Pro pros:
Variable aperture
360 sensors

I do not need the omni sensors and I'm giving up too much by changing to M2P.

Are you sure the Air2S actually does 150mbps in all modes? The mini 3 and others it seems reduces bit rate depending on mode so you dont really get benefit for a lot of it.

Digital zoom is awful on everything so really isn't a loss.
5.4k also is line skipped non native so doesnt really add to quality.
Wider FoV isn't always a bonus.

I use a tablet holder on my M2P so the tablet is on top and in front (or smart controller).

M2P isnt true omni-sensors. The sides only work in tripod and i think orbit mode. Not in general flight.

They're very similar bits of kit but for me the M2P is significantly more efficient as i can mix photo and video in one flight with a filter due to the variable aperture whereas on all fixed drones i have to come back and remove a filter to do a photo flight in the same area.

Are you sure the Air2S actually does 150mbps in all modes? The mini 3 and others it seems reduces bit rate depending on mode so you dont really get benefit for a lot of it.

I use a tablet holder on my M2P so the tablet is on top and in front (or smart controller).

M2P isnt true omni-sensors. The sides only work in tripod and i think orbit mode. Not in general flight.

They're very similar bits of kit but for me the M2P is significantly more efficient as i can mix photo and video in one flight with a filter due to the variable aperture whereas on all fixed drones i have to come back and remove a filter to do a photo flight in the same area.

Ah but we're talking more than just resolution vs resolution. We're talking more fps per resolution.
There's plenty to like about Air 2s compared to Mavic 2 Pro. I need as much fps as possible as I fly after fast moving vehices and I like having those 60 fps at 4k.

150mbps max bit rate when shooting h264, it seems to drop down to 125mbps with h.265, which is actually higher quality than h264 despite being lower bit rate (75mbps h265 is roughly the same quality as 150mbps h264, just requires a lot more processing power to decode 265).

But in comparison to the mini 3, even if they have the same bit rate, 150mbps h264 8bit footage with baked in extra sharpness, contrast, and saturation doesn't give a lot of room to work with versus 125mbps h265 at 10bit.

I remain unconvinced D-Cinelike will be useful to grade on the Mini due to 8 bit (and the compression).
Might be like LOG on the original Mavic Pro - nice in theory but the compression and bit rates made it relatively useless.

For some reason DJI prefers to go for a fixed compression per mode instead of always using the maximum bit rate and reducing the compression as each mode allows. This bakes in a lower quality than would otherwise be available.

I've found the wind stability, based on the one video of the British guy fighting the winds by the sea, to be quite impressive. In my experience, I think most people just simply don't fly when such conditions are present. So, if there is any wind resistance advantage between the 2S and the M3P, I think the likely negligible difference is moot.

The untested, arguably, negligible advantage the A2S has isn't worth picking over the M3P. Heck, even for the "first upgrade" that the Air 2S is positioned to be in DJI's lineup, the difference in price, performance, and future operating cost greatly skews towards the M3P. Plus, you'll be getting a better remote. The N1 is barebones at best, in my experience.

Also, I think the M3P is a safer drone to fly than the A2S. And that's something that people don't often consider when choosing between what drone to purchase. When one of these falls from 399', I'd much rather have it be the M3P.

I 100% agree with your last sentence. This is how DJI operates -they release a drone at lower tier that bests the one above it, and then they release one at the tier above to recapture the performance difference.

The low level drones see quicker iterations released, as they serve almost as a testing ground for newer tech.

Side bar (Mod Removed Language) on a personal note, I am and have been dismayed that the US can't or won't compete in the high end camera drone industry.

The Air 2s is naturally going to be more stable than the Mini 3 Pro. It weighs more and is more dense. That's not to say the Mini 3 Pro would have an issue per se.

I don't see how the M3P will have a lower future operating cost. That seems negligible at best. In fact, the Air 2s has an established line of compatible accessories, whereas the 3 does not yet. And as for it falling out of the sky, the difference in weight isn't going to matter much.

There are some other factors to consider with the Air 2s that may justify the cost:

1. 5K video capability
2. Larger, 1" sensor which will likely have a low light advantage
3. Compatibility with DJI RC Pro (I just got one...it's a massive upgrade) and previous Smart Controller.

That's not to say it's worth it for everyone. As I posted earlier, if you want the best photo quality and demand better portability, and are more budget-conscious, the M3P might make sense. But if you're looking for the best all-around recreational/photography drone? I think the Air 2s makes a very solid case.

Some good night video comparisons.

Think we are seeing similar things here. The Air 2S seems like a little more light is getting through and will give you more to work with if you spend time with it in post, but the 3 Pro is definitely sharper and showing a good bit more detail right off the SD card. I think this video is the first example I've seen where I would say I would definitely prefer the 3 Pro (unlike the pictures where we are adding sharpness at the expensive of noise, so its a compromise). Waiting for some more night comparisons to see for sure and some graded footage as people get their hands on them.

Reactions: mittenz and Stach

Think we are seeing similar things here. The Air 2S seems like a little more light is getting through and will give you more to work with if you spend time with it in post, but the 3 Pro is definitely sharper and showing a good bit more detail right off the SD card. I think this video is the first example I've seen where I would say I would definitely prefer the 3 Pro (unlike the pictures where we are adding sharpness at the expensive of noise, so its a compromise). Waiting for some more night comparisons to see for sure and some graded footage as people get their hands on them.
Meh, not a very good example, there's no real detail on settings except for one spot, looks like he just did 4K to 4K and didn't utilize the 5.4k video of the Air 2s, which having a bigger sensor would really shine. All these influences who have the Mini 3 seem a little bias that way. If you are going to do a comparison, show me the best of each drone, not 1080p to 1080p or 4K to 4K. Sure it's good to know, but at the end of the day, if one drone is capable of higher res, leaving it out is kind of misleading.

That's funny I was thinking the opposite. The M3P looks brighter and definitely gets more detail out of the image. I think it's a solid step ahead of the 2S in low light, but both look great overall. I'm sure the 2S has the edge in good light with a bit more DR with 10 bit.

This video is very impressive to me:

Reactions: Stach
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan