DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S in both photo and video

See the below video at 12:00. There's noticeable lateral movement of the camera. The gimbal can't compensate for this as it can only cancel out rotational movement. This is a pretty extreme example, where the author was deliberately testing the mini3 in very marginal conditions. A heavier drone may have fared slightly better, with less lateral movement, but we don't have an example in the same conditions to be able to do a meaningful comparison. I suspect an Air 2S would have had noticeable movement in those conditions too, but this would have been slightly slower (lower frequency, to be precise) overall, as its inertia would tend to dampen such movement a bit.

Reactions: boldblue737
"but just swap to the heavier battery on a windy day in the USA on the Mini 3 Pro and you'll IMMEDIATELY see a difference."

Observed fact or conjecture?

several reviewers who have both style of batteries commented on what a significant difference the heavier battery makes in wind stability. again everything I am talking about is stability of the platform in gusty conditions to enable the smoothest image (the gimbal can't correct everything when the drone is moving laterally and up and down while close to the ground or an object being filmed). when it comes to safety in the wind top speed matters to be able to fly into the wind and make progress obviously so higher top speed spec is important there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
Sure, a heavier object handles the wind better. The M3P would have to compensate with motor power to overcome the nearly 100% weight difference between the 2. And the M3P does have a good amount more thrust than the A2S.

Lower operating cost in the sense that the batteries are cheaper and, going by previous examples, parts are cheaper for the M3P.

I will concede that the A2S has more aftermarket parts, but the M3P will catch up.

Do you think the RC Pro will not be compatible with M3P in the future?
What DJI did was basically take the A2S and cut it in half, weight wise, while delivering negligible difference for most people in video/picture quality. That's quite the accomplishment, and I'm sure the Air 3 will up the ante on the M3P and will be a clear winner above it.

As for each of them falling out of the sky and hitting me, one weighs twice as much. Guess which I'd want to land on my head. Or my car...

So I was about to get into all this Thrust to Weight Ratio stuff. Then I decided to just compare the specs. It turns out the Air 2s outclasses the Mini 3 in virtually every area other than flight time. Max speed, max ascent and descent, max service ceiling, etc. It even matches the standard M3P battery in hover time. They match in wind resistance...supposedly. So no, it doesn't have "more thrust" per se....and even if the ratio is better (which it most certainly is given the M3P's weight), it doesn't translate to more agile performance our stability.

Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 10.53.55 AM.png

Now, as for operating cost: The standard batteries are cheaper. The Plus battery is not much cheaper. You can find new IFBs on ebay for $90. So that's kind of a wash.

Yes, the M3P will catch up...to a point. With its reduced weight and size though, it may be limited in terms of what kind of accessories it can carry. And with that battery design, you can probably forget about after market add on batteries like we can do with the 2s.

RC Pro: Given that they released the RC Plus, I highly doubt the Pro will be compatible with the Mini. In fact, the consensus here when the RCP was announced was that it wouldn't be compatible with the 2s. I suspect there was a huge outpouring of demand that led to that decision. I find it highly unlikely they will make it compatible.

Weight: One weighs half a pound. They other weighs about a pound. If either one hits your head from any significant height, you're screwed. If either hits your car from any significant height, the drone and car are likely going to be significantly damaged. You can't possibly be counting "what if it falls from the sky and hits my dog in the teeth" as a reason to buy one over the other. There are reasons to choose the M3P over the Air 2s (cost, video quality, portability, lack of need to register) but "I'd rather it hit me in the head" is not one of them. :)

Reactions: Torque
So I was about to get into all this Thrust to Weight Ratio stuff. Then I decided to just compare the specs. It turns out the Air 2s outclasses the Mini 3 in virtually every area other than flight time. Max speed, max ascent and descent, max service ceiling, etc. It even matches the standard M3P battery in hover time. They match in wind resistance...supposedly. So no, it doesn't have "more thrust" per se....and even if the ratio is better (which it most certainly is given the M3P's weight), it doesn't translate to more agile performance our stability.

View attachment 148580

Now, as for operating cost: The standard batteries are cheaper. The Plus battery is not much cheaper. You can find new IFBs on ebay for $90. So that's kind of a wash.

Yes, the M3P will catch up...to a point. With its reduced weight and size though, it may be limited in terms of what kind of accessories it can carry. And with that battery design, you can probably forget about after market add on batteries like we can do with the 2s.

RC Pro: Given that they released the RC Plus, I highly doubt the Pro will be compatible with the Mini. In fact, the consensus here when the RCP was announced was that it wouldn't be compatible with the 2s. I suspect there was a huge outpouring of demand that led to that decision. I find it highly unlikely they will make it compatible.

Weight: One weighs half a pound. They other weighs about a pound. If either one hits your head from any significant height, you're screwed. If either hits your car from any significant height, the drone and car are likely going to be significantly damaged. You can't possibly be counting "what if it falls from the sky and hits my dog in the teeth" as a reason to buy one over the other. There are reasons to choose the M3P over the Air 2s (cost, video quality, portability, lack of need to register) but "I'd rather it hit me in the head" is not one of them. :)

agree with 99% of this but I *do* think the RC Pro will eventually get compatibility with the mini 3 pro because their "Pro" $1200 controller selling point is for flyers who have many different drones, want to use it with all of them, and demand the best. leaving out their fancy new mini 3 pro doesn't make sense... however DJI always updates these controllers 3-6 months after the launch of the drone it seems.

"but just swap to the heavier battery on a windy day in the USA on the Mini 3 Pro and you'll IMMEDIATELY see a difference."

Observed fact or conjecture?
There will be a difference – physics.

Whether it will be enough to visually observe? I doubt it, the difference is so small.

Reactions: MS Coast

View attachment 148580

agree with 99% of this but I *do* think the RC Pro will eventually get compatibility with the mini 3 pro because their "Pro" $1200 controller selling point is for flyers who have many different drones, want to use it with all of them, and demand the best. leaving out their fancy new mini 3 pro doesn't make sense... however DJI always updates these controllers 3-6 months after the launch of the drone it seems.

I just don’t agree, mostly because they released the DJI RC along with it. EDITED: I keep mislabeling it the RC plus. It is the DJI RC.

I guess it depends on how separately they want to market the RC pro. In model airplanes, the movement has been towards a master controller that can control pretty much any of your aircraft. I guess they might go that way. We will see. My bet is still no.

FYI I have had two test flights with the new RC pro paired with my 2s. Amazing difference. Much snappier operating system, much more stable, better touch screen response, and most importantly, vastly improved signal. I’d say a rough estimate is 30-50% stronger.

This guy has some interesting points. Even with the upgrade to 10-bit it's still not a better drone than the Air 2S if weight is not an issue.

I don’t own an A2S or an M3P, but due to the restrictions on areas of use, I would choose a M3P over an A2S all day long. Considering the minor differences between the two, I’d say it’s a “no brainer.”
The best drone is the one that hasn’t been kneecapped by bureaucracy and over zealous regulations imo. Sadly - regardless of performance - the A2S is limited in use before it has even left the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: miemo and Torque
I don’t own an A2S or an M3P, but due to the restrictions on areas of use, I would choose a M3P over an A2S all day long. Considering the minor differences between the two, I’d say it’s a “no brainer.”
The best drone is the one that hasn’t been kneecapped by bureaucracy and over zealous regulations imo. Sadly - regardless of performance - the A2S is limited in use before it has even left the ground.
Things are a bit different here in the U.S. No difference in areas of operation allowed for the two.

Things are a bit different here in the U.S. No difference in areas of operation allowed for the two.
Then choose wisely. I know it is early days for the M3P, but I suspect that most of the differences between both models being discussed on this thread will prove to be negligible in real world use for most people.
I think that factors like end-of-life product support, average repair costs and future availability of spare parts and consumables should also be considered before deciding on which model to choose.

There is no kneecapping in the U.S. based on drone size. The rules are the same across the board. 5 buck to register that's the only difference. Plus I believe, if you add prop guards or the extended battery, it goes over the 249g limit so then technically you have to register it anyway. And (don't quot me on this) if you want to fly over people, the 249g must not be able to cause lacerations and therefore requires something like prop guards. A catch 22 basically.

There is no kneecapping in the U.S. based on drone size. The rules are the same across the board. 5 buck to register that's the only difference. Plus I believe, if you add prop guards or the extended battery, it goes over the 249g limit so then technically you have to register it anyway. And (don't quot me on this) if you want to fly over people, the 249g must not be able to cause lacerations and therefore requires something like prop guards. A catch 22 basically.

Yes, if anything that can weight under 249g WITH prop guards, there is a big difference in the US as you then can be a category 1 drone and have some ability to fly over people and transit (not sustained) over moving vehicles. That cold be very useful depending upon how/where you fly, but unfortunately, the Mini 3 does not meet that criteria.

If you add prop guards or the extended battery, it goes over the 249g limit so then technically you have to register it anyway. And (don't quot me on this) if you want to fly over people, the 249g must not be able to cause lacerations and therefore requires something like prop guards. A catch 22 basically.
Requiring prop guards on a sub 250 isn't a catch 22, it is a deliberate defacto restriction on the sub 250 class.

Noise, Noise, Noise, finally someone is talking past the hype. Mini 3 Pro is 12 megapixel, 48 number is more of a marketing gimmick. Look how grainy it gets in some instances.

Just got my drone today. Only 1 battery as Fly More kits don't exist here at all.

My brief tests backed up what i'd seen on all the other sample images.
The 12mp images are in fact excellent.

The 48mp as well as being less sharp and noisier have at times horrible artefacts appearing - a clear example here are lines on a road go purple.

Whatever noise reduction or processing its doing is creating artefacts on high contrast edges at 48.

First the clean 12mp:
12mpclean.jpg

Now the 2 x 48mp showing the clear colour issues:

48mpartefact.jpg

48mpartefact2.jpg

Unfortunately its not chromatic aberration so wont be simple to fix in post.

Last edited:
Reactions: z28lt1
Just got my drone today. Only 1 battery as Fly More kits don't exist here at all.

My brief tests backed up what i'd seen on all the other sample images.
The 12mp images are in fact excellent.

The 48mp as well as being less sharp and noisier have at times horrible artefacts appearing - a clear example here are lines on a road go purple.

Whatever noise reduction or processing its doing is creating artefacts on high contrast edges at 48.

First the clean 12mp:

Now the 2 x 48mp showing the clear colour issues:

Unfortunately its not chromatic aberration so wont be simple to fix in post.
Can I ask what software you used to process those .jpgs? I'm guessing that those .jpgs were processed onboard by the drone? I've seen this problem before, it's not chromatic aberation, it's a debayering issue. Try and process the original .dng in Photoshop or Lightroom using Adobe Camera Raw.

Those are DNGs put through Lightroom. All original process. Looks the same via ACR into Photoshop (as you'd expect).

Also showing on other DNG viewer and editing software so its baked into the file not a processing artefact.
They're present (but not as bad) in Capture One as well.
c1.jpg

Example above is processed in Capture 1 for comparison.

Im hoping it won't be long before DxO update PureRAW as i suspect they'll do a much better job.

Those are DNGs put through Lightroom. All original process. Looks the same via ACR into Photoshop (as you'd expect).

Also showing on other DNG viewer and editing software so its baked into the file not a processing artefact.
They're present (but not as bad) in Capture One as well.
View attachment 148807

Example above is processed in Capture 1 for comparison.

Im hoping it won't be long before DxO update PureRAW as i suspect they'll do a much better job.

Upon closer observation, the fringing seems to be effecting reflective surfaces. reflective surfaces scatter light. I'm sure that is not a coincidence.

Then choose wisely. I know it is early days for the M3P, but I suspect that most of the differences between both models being discussed on this thread will prove to be negligible in real world use for most people.
I think that factors like end-of-life product support, average repair costs and future availability of spare parts and consumables should also be considered before deciding on which model to choose.
The differences are not negligible. The differences in photo quality are negligible. The difference in video quality is negligible. But the overall aircraft, availability of parts, attachments, as well as flight performance are not negligible at all. The Air 2S wins hands-down. Just look at the specs. It’s also compatible with the new RC pro controller. As someone who is coming from the original smart controller, I can tell you the differences are significant. I’m not trashing the mini three, not at all. It certainly seems like a great product that has advantages. I but like anything, it has some disadvantages as well.

As for being knee capped, that only applies in your situation. For anyone in the United States, it really doesn’t apply at all. No issue with your decision to choose the mini. It seems to make more sense.

I just ordered both, the Air2S and the Mini3Pro but only get the Air2s today and the Mini3P comes end next Month so I can not compare them before make decision witch one to keep. Just read so much and seen alls this YouTube videos... In some of the the Air2s are better in Video Details because of 5,4k but don't forget no Active Track etc. working on that Resolution... and then seen some one the M3P was better... I did see not a huge difference in Photo Quality in Native Mode so the Air2s has 20MPX and the M3P only 12MP. In night the M3P are a Lot better... But one thing no-one talking about is the Hacks that can be Done on the Drone. The A2S can be permanent FCC and Max Altitude removal for Mountains Surfing or climbing. But the M3P can not. So iam tending to keep the Ai2s but its a really Hard decision so every Day I change my meaning about that :/// I got the Air2s with Fly More Combo + Smart Controller for only 1499€ and the M3P cost also with Fly More Kit + ND-Filter etc. about 1300€ so there is not a huge difference there.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BLEKOK