DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro beats Air2S in both photo and video

I just ordered both, the Air2S and the Mini3Pro but only get the Air2s today and the Mini3P comes end next Month so I can not compare them before make decision witch one to keep. Just read so much and seen alls this YouTube videos... In some of the the Air2s are better in Video Details because of 5,4k but don't forget no Active Track etc. working on that Resolution... and then seen some one the M3P was better... I did see not a huge difference in Photo Quality in Native Mode so the Air2s has 20MPX and the M3P only 12MP. In night the M3P are a Lot better... But one thing no-one talking about is the Hacks that can be Done on the Drone. The A2S can be permanent FCC and Max Altitude removal for Mountains Surfing or climbing. But the M3P can not. So iam tending to keep the Ai2s but its a really Hard decision so every Day I change my meaning about that :/// I got the Air2s with Fly More Combo + Smart Controller for only 1499€ and the M3P cost also with Fly More Kit + ND-Filter etc. about 1300€ so there is not a huge difference there.

You probably don’t care about the law that much, as FCC transmission is illegal in Europe so the weight restrictions of the A2S don’t limit where you would fly the thing. Nighttime flying is forbidden as well so the better low light performance of the M3P is wasted, unless you also break that law

Like I said before: mini 3 Pro has better low light and better dynamic range.

In some modes however, Air2S has a resolution advantage. Mini 3 pro photos are better quality looking at noise and dynamic range, but Air 2S are 20megapixel native compared to only 12 for mini 3 Pro

Anybody who tries to claim otherwise will have no comparison footage to back it up

I don’t own an A2S or an M3P, but due to the restrictions on areas of use, I would choose a M3P over an A2S all day long. Considering the minor differences between the two, I’d say it’s a “no brainer.”
The best drone is the one that hasn’t been kneecapped by bureaucracy and over zealous regulations imo. Sadly - regardless of performance - the A2S is limited in use before it has even left the ground.
One is handicapped by bureaucracy,the other is handicapped by laws of physics. If you fly coastal or lots of high wind areas, the Air 2S and Mavic 3 will give you more leeway than the weaker mini 1/2/3.

One is handicapped by bureaucracy,the other is handicapped by laws of physics. If you fly coastal or lots of high wind areas, the Air 2S and Mavic 3 will give you more leeway than the weaker mini 1/2/3.

Actually, looking at physics, mini 3 pro with the larger battery would still beat Air 2S; it can fly 50% longer. So while Air2S might be able to fly against the wind a few % faster, and you would have the gimbal tilting down with props in the shot, ruining your Air 2S image, Mini 3 Pro with the larger battery would be able to cover more distance; while producing better footage, both composition as well as quality.

The gimbal of the Mini 3 Pro can tilt beyond 60 degrees btw, so even if the body is tilted 20 degrees forward it will maintain that 60 degrees looking up. It really is the best

Actually, looking at physics, mini 3 pro with the larger battery would still beat Air 2S; it can fly 50% longer. So while Air2S might be able to fly against the wind a few % faster, and you would have the gimbal tilting down with props in the shot, ruining your Air 2S image, Mini 3 Pro with the larger battery would be able to cover more distance; while producing better footage, both composition as well as quality.

The gimbal of the Mini 3 Pro can tilt beyond 60 degrees btw, so even if the body is tilted 20 degrees forward it will maintain that 60 degrees looking up. It really is the best
That would be true assuming the Mini could make gains in the headwind. In my flying experience in a strong headwind, the Mini drones often are reduced to single digits or even push back where the larger 3s/4s drones can at least make a couple of kmh gain. Had that happen to me a couple of times especially when crossing a body of water *eek*

Larger Battery alone wont save you, its in those pucker moments you gotta find yourself a nice place to land and do the walk of shame to go fetch your drone :)

Reactions: Skyryder and Zorast
That would be true assuming the Mini could make gains in the headwind. In my flying experience in a strong headwind, the Mini drones often are reduced to single digits or even push back where the larger 3s/4s drones can at least make a couple of kmh gain. Had that happen to me a couple of times especially when crossing a body of water *eek*

Larger Battery alone wont save you, its in those pucker moments you gotta find yourself a nice place to land and do the walk of shame to go fetch your drone :)
Yes in a review someone say this is a negative aspect of the mini 3 Drone, its less Headroom in Power it have. U will see a lot of warning that the Battery are under to much Load etc. Another reviewer say, u can take the mini 3 with u in the mountains and then probably u can't use them because of the wind condition that there are, the mini is very shaky in fly when windy. Or u can't fly against the Wind when RTH... But the Mini3 is a very good Drone and the extra battery Life with Plus Batterys is really impressive. Also here a reviewer says the normal Battery are less than the Air2s! But why I need this Battery Life on the Mini3 when the RC Signal are not Good enough to use the Flytime ? The Mini3 is for small Radios Flying, Flying far away can effect in Lose your Drone. And in my case when iam in the Mountains, i think the Mini3 is not the right Drone. Another thing u have to think about. The Case of the Mini3 Drone is not a Lot Smaller than the Air2s. Die Gimbal Protection of the Mini3 are very large so there is only a 1-2 cm difference there. When looking at 1 picture u will not seen the gimbal protection which is seen in 2 Pic. And when opening up the mini 3 it is large as a air2s seen in pic 3,4. So the Bag comming with Fly More Kit are the "same" in Size...

Here is the YouTuber Zimy Da Kid, he make a official Promo Video for DJI, so he know what he say in real Life usage ;)

Attachments

• dji_mini_3_pro_comparison_appearance_v2.png
    dji_mini_3_pro_comparison_appearance_v2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • DJI_Mini_3_Pro_Neue_Bilder_zeigen_die_Mini_Drohne_auch_in_Action73.jpg
    DJI_Mini_3_Pro_Neue_Bilder_zeigen_die_Mini_Drohne_auch_in_Action73.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-31 um 09.19.22.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-31 um 09.19.22.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 8
  • DJI_Mini_3_Pro_Vergleichsphoto_Controller_Drohne_Verpackung_2.jpg
    DJI_Mini_3_Pro_Vergleichsphoto_Controller_Drohne_Verpackung_2.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Mini 1 and 2 have the same weight.
Do they have the same wind resistance?

Or are there factors other than weight which are a much bigger contributing factor.

Also mini 3 pro wind resistance is excellent, nobody can claim otherwise as they will never have proof:

Nobody in this board is going to be flying any drone in conditions worse than that in the mountains I am sure

Or are there factors other than weight which are a much bigger contributing factor.
Didn't this thread already cover the weight/wind resistance debate, back around post #114 or so?

Reactions: Torque
No .. they don't have the same ability to fight against wind.
Their weights are the same, but that's irrelevant.
Their max speed is the only contributing factor.

Mini 8 m/s
Mini 2 10 m/s
Mini 3 10 m/s.

Also mini 3 pro wind resistance is excellent
The Mini 3 has the same ability to fight against wind as the Mini 2.
nobody can claim otherwise as they will never have proof:
This makes no sense at all.

The problem is, flight against wind not wind resistance. To Stay in Wind is not the problem for the Mini 3. But RTH against wind when far away will be a problem. But still amazing what the mini 3 does...

This Guy also make a amazing test, the mini 3 shake a lot but the video is still "ok". Insane what DJI does with the Gimbal and Software...

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo
Didn't this thread already cover the weight/wind resistance debate, back around post #114 or so?
People still had hope the mini 3 pro would not have 10 bit

People still had hope the mini 3 pro would not have 10 bit
That was a strange reply to a link back to earlier in the thread where wind resistance and weight were discussed.🤔

Who are these supposed mini-3-haters you're desperate to find, and desperate to argue with that the mini 3 is far superior to all other drones in every respect?

Last edited:
Reactions: Meta4
I see some posts trying to state or suggest otherwise, which is normal, less than 24 hours ago the best DJI drone that is not the Mavic 3 was the Air2S, and now it isn’t anymore. “But the 1inch sensor??”, yes, it has a 1 inch sensor. A sensor can be as large as you want, a smaller more advanced sensor in a higher aperture, better lens will surpass it always. To me that is general knowledge but that is not what this thread is about. It is merely about the final results. The Air2S is still a good drone and it has advantages over the mini 3 pro. Image quality is not one of them though. See and read and see for yourself in this excellent review:

I know these facts go against current forum consensus, but we finally have to accept the inevitable new reality.
the Air2S is still an amazing drone. But if you want the best image quality both in video and photo in a DJI drone under 2000 dollar/euro, as of today, mini 3 PRO is the answer.
I have attached a Insta360 for $450 and you will b better off from the Mini 3 micro drone or the Mavic 3 . The micro drones such as the mini 1-2-3’s are nice toy lookalikes, the Mavic 2-2Pro & 2S &3 are more robust non toy look. There is a market for all of us.
I’m not buying this one! Or the Mavic 3-3Cine I’m saving my money and waiting for the Mavic 3S/pro.
There is my .50c

I've found the wind stability, based on the one video of the British guy fighting the winds by the sea, to be quite impressive. In my experience, I think most people just simply don't fly when such conditions are present. So, if there is any wind resistance advantage between the 2S and the M3P, I think the likely negligible difference is moot.

As has been pointed out in this thread, the advantage of a heavier drone isn't in respect to steady winds (where the power-to-weight ratio are what's critical) but with respect to gusts that cause the drone to accelerate one way or another. Since the camera is on a stabilized gimbal, really the value comes when those gusts are strong enough to accelerate the drone beyond the gimbal's ability to stabilize. An Air 2s, being twice as massive, will encounter that limit less often in equally gusty winds than the M3P.

As you point out, of course, lots of people don't fly in heavy winds. In Iceland, where I live, calm days are a luxury and it's a lot easier to end up pushing the limits of a small drone.

It's still quite a marginal difference and one that only matters in particular use cases.

As has been pointed out in this thread, the advantage of a heavier drone isn't in respect to steady winds (where the power-to-weight ratio are what's critical) ... An Air 2s, being twice as massive, will encounter that limit less often in equally gusty winds than the M3P.
The weight of the drone is irrelevant.
The speed that the drone is able to fly is what matters.
A slower drone will have less ability to fight against the wind.

It's still quite a marginal difference and one that only matters in particular use cases.
Look at the performance of the two drones and you can see that the difference is not marginal at all.

Air 2S
19 metres/sec Sport
15 metres/sec Normal

Mini 3
16 metres/sec Sport
10 metres/sec Normal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members