DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro Firmware update and RID and adjustable speed control

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
There is a nother thread that just got started about the Mini 3 now- or soon having speed control where we can dial down the max speed to 1m/s vs the current 5 m/s (11mph) in the cine mode. The video referenced in the other link highlights a very important issue. THE CINE MODE SPEED IS TOO FAST AND UNCONTROLLABLE TO BE PRECISE and begs to bring back the Tripod mode of the Mavic 2 (which is SO much better IMO).
Mini 3 and speed control link

But I have to assume that to do so one has (or will when available) to do a firmware upgrade of the drone as well as the controller?
But here's the rub. My Mini 3 Pro, being under 250 grams if stripped naked would not be required to have RID (as I understand it). So I have been avoiding doing any firmware upgrades because I do not want to install firmware which would turn on RID in this drone without the ability to turn it off. I do not want to activate RID if I don't have to until I see if we start seeing incidents because of it. My drone purchase going forward will probably automatically have it, but I want at least one alternative where I don't have to be broadcasting my flights.

So a few questions:
Is speed control now available on the Mini 3?
Does it require a firmware upgrade?
Does said firmware upgrade turn on RID that can or cannot be tuned off?

TIA

Once RID is enabled, you will not be able to turn it off. Delaying is futile anyway, since it will be required in October regardless. If you are flying within the rules, I wouldn't worry too much about someone seeing where you are flying from as most people won't know how to be able to track you until the software to do so becomes widespread.

Reactions: Bohemian