DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro for Indoor Real Estate

Prop guards, YES.

Be mindful of the walls and ceiling. The prop wash may suck the aircraft in to it.

I flew my Spark inside once and it skittered across the ceiling like an air hockey puck. :D

No damage but it was a surprise.

You probably won't have to worry about a RTH scenario as the aircraft may not pick up the GPS inside the house.

The height of the aircraft may be limited to the visual sensors with the lack of GPS. An example may be a shot of the foyer from above.

Since the FAA doesn't govern the airspace inside, a Part 107 is not needed for interior real estate content. If you fly out the front door into FAA airspace for a reveal shot of the house, you'll need the certificate.

You can probably do most indoor shoots with handheld gimbal type setup, even the drone in some sort of hand filming bracket setup . . . available for many drone types, not sure about the M3P as yet, but possibly out there.

You can do special high composure indoor stuff carefully with any drone really.
Prop guards are probably a good idea for sure, turn off OA sensors for any tight areas, fly in cinematic mode (slow flight and control), be prepared for atti type flying if GPS is erratic.
Best to stage and fly these carefully, eg in a high ceiling open loft type space, take the drone up slowly once, filming the space below, bring it down and land / catch.

Short and sharp ops, fly throughs are for FPV pros or when you get the hang of such with a little practice . . . the same can be achieved for walk throughs with the hand held gimbal type setup, be it camera / DJI gimbal cam, or drone in hand held bracket setup.

Best with the new venture.

Reactions: GFields
Even though the FAA does not govern indoor airspace, they still prohibit commercial operations (for compensation) by non-107 certificated pilots. Plus, no reputable insurer would provide commercial coverage for a non-licensed pilot.

Make sure you have plenty of light. I had a scary experience flying indoors in a darkened space and the drone went out of control for a few terrifying minutes zooming around and hitting a few things without damage. I finally was able to get it out of the air, but I was sweating bullets during the experience.

Thank you for the response. I have the 107. I'vebeen practicing with smaller drones with prop guards and have noticed the suck to the sides and ceiling. I would love to see illustrations of the airflow in those scenarios so I could better understand the physics behind it.

Reactions: MA2 317
Make sure you have plenty of light. I had a scary experience flying indoors in a darkened space and the drone went out of control for a few terrifying minutes zooming around and hitting a few things without damage. I finally was able to get it out of the air, but I was sweating bullets during the experience.
Will do. I was thinking of shutting the visual sensor that points to the floor sowhen you go over furniture it doesn't change altitude, however that may make it more unstable. Practicing without Atti mode on smaller drones.

You can probably do most indoor shoots with handheld gimbal type setup, even the drone in some sort of hand filming bracket setup . . . available for many drone types, not sure about the M3P as yet, but possibly out there.

Prop guards are probably a good idea for sure, turn off OA sensors for any tight areas, fly in cinematic mode (slow flight and control), be prepared for atti type flying if GPS is erratic.
Best to stage and fly these carefully, eg in a high ceiling open loft type space, take the drone up slowly once, filming the space below, bring it down and land / catch.

Short and sharp ops, fly throughs are for FPV pros or when you get the hang of such with a little practice . . . the same can be achieved for walk throughs with the hand held gimbal type setup, be it camera / DJI gimbal cam, or drone in hand held bracket setup.

Thanks I have a gimbal but still dislike the bop it creates. The drone may not be much better after seeing the effects of prop wash. Hoping to use GPS with hover isf signal is lost, but I doubt I will get any gps most of the time.

Even though the FAA does not govern indoor airspace, they still prohibit commercial operations (for compensation) by non-107 certificated pilots. Plus, no reputable insurer would provide commercial coverage for a non-licensed pilot.
Thanks, Experiencing that with smaller drones hoping it's not worse with the mavic 3 pro. I would imagine the more thrust it creates the more attraction to walls and ceilings. Trying to stay in the 3.5 to 6.5 ft range, to minimize the effect.

Be aware of very light objects inside the rooms! They will fly away from the flow of air coming from the propellers.
I remember flying inside over a group of musicians with their lecterns. We had to clip the partitions in order not to have music fly around...

Reactions: BetterBizWorks

Thanks for all the tips

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

Be aware of very light objects inside the rooms! They will fly away from the flow of air coming from the propellers.
I remember flying inside over a group of musicians with their lecterns. We had to clip the partitions in order not to have music fly around...
Good advice. Thank you.

Reactions: MA2 317
Thanks I have a gimbal but still dislike the bop it creates. The drone may not be much better after seeing the effects of prop wash. Hoping to use GPS with hover isf signal is lost, but I doubt I will get any gps most of the time.

Funny, in my home when testing / adjusting settings etc sometimes, I notice good GPS inside.
In flight it might be different though.

The danger is GPS connectivity cutting in and out, possibly first to the opti sensor mode if the floor conditions and altitude allow . . . secondly dropping out to atti mode, where you really have to be on the sticks to brake especially.

You should be in the same room when flying of course, and if doing a walk through right there behind the drone, so signal is not going to be a problem.

edit - of course for safety sake do set failsafe signal loss to hover, don't want any RTH events to occur :oops:

Last edited:
Have you considered the Avata for this type of work? I've flown mine around inside the house a number of times no issue going around tight turns and up and down floors. The motion controller makes for some very smooth flights.

Edit: I realize the Avata was not the subject of your post just putting another option out there.

Has anyone flown the mini 3 pro indoors. I need to do real estate videos. Any tips?
Thinking Prop guards, No RTH, Radar Chart On, Visual Navigation Off, lower exp settings, ATTI Flight mode. Anything else? I would be curious if anyone is using it for indoor residential flights.
I'd rather use a good camera and a Ronin.

It's probably easier to just hold the drone while it records than to fly it if you don't want to purchase additional equipment. Though it may get warmer than when it's flying. (Reminds me of when the mini came out, people had stick attachments to treat it like a stabilized run and gun camera).

Reactions: TrabSeyn
It's probably easier to just hold the drone while it records than to fly it if you don't want to purchase additional equipment. Though it may get warmer than when it's flying. (Reminds me of when the mini came out, people had stick attachments to treat it like a stabilized run and gun camera).
I have the gimbals but drone flight is smoother and gives me better angles. Thanks for the input.

Reactions: FlySkyJumper
Has anyone flown the mini 3 pro indoors. I need to do real estate videos. Any tips?
Thinking Prop guards, No RTH, Radar Chart On, Visual Navigation Off, lower exp settings, ATTI Flight mode. Anything else? I would be curious if anyone is using it for indoor residential flights.
Bought the Mini 3 Pro specifically for internal shoots (stills only). Prop guards for definite. Flip it into CINE mode to make it a lot less skittish. You won't get a GPS lock: so you'll be flying ATTI anyway. Be aware that you'll be in a home environment with a hell of a lot of powerful WiFi interference - flip the transmission signal up to 5.8ghz. Switch off proximity sensors (the prop guards will buffer the rotors and also keep your drone airborne in the eventuality of you actually coming into contact with an object). Make sure anything that can be knocked over or broken is moved out of the way before you put the bird in the air. Take note of anything and everything that hangs down from the ceilings and avoid them like the plague. Fly no higher than chest level. Be aware that you will have to counter for ATTI drift, and if the drone starts to act freaky: be prepared to CCS (Cross Control Sticks). OH! and finally... make sure you're carrying a metric tonne of P&P liability insurance.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78