DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3 Pro screw stuck

Drone Views Media

Reactions
Hi guys, I have an issue with a screw which won't come out, I was trying to change some props, and all I succeeded in doing was hollowing out the screw. Would it be cheaper to use a refresh at 75 Euro, or to get it fixed without using it? I don't know how this works

• Haha
Reactions: fotolowe
Is there a repair facility near you? What makes this repair tricky is that the screw heads are so small so you can't cut new slots in the screws. I haven't had to replace props on my Mini 3 yet but your post gives me trepidations. I did order a better screw driver for these screw heads as the one that DJI provides is close to rubbish.

Reactions: YVRGUY and Rchawks
Is there a repair facility near you? What makes this repair tricky is that the screw heads are so small so you can't cut new slots in the screws. I haven't had to replace props on my Mini 3 yet but your post gives me trepidations. I did order a better screw driver for these screw heads as the one that DJI provides is close to rubbish.
That screwdriver is so cheap, it looks like something you'd get in a McDonald's happy meal.

Reactions: Starz
One of the foum members recommended a better screw driver and mentioned the one shown below. With screws so small and delicate you have to be able to exert enough leverage and torque at the same time to get positive action without (hopefully) not stripping the screw head out. I hope I got the right one. I haven't tried it yet, but perhaps I should gently test it with all the screws in my Mini 3?

1661636069904.png

I came pretty close to this situation with my last prop changes. I did learn a way to support directly under the motor with one a finger from my other hand (resting on a table to) which allowed for better vertical control and more down-force on the (non DJI) screwdriver. I did think I should probably have a glove on in case of a slip--but I got it.

I also learned by using a lighted magnifier while working, that one of my screws was actually turning even though I thought it wasn't (and that screw hole has a lot of drag in and outward compared to the others--hoping it isn't poorly tapped).

Just putting those out there in case it helps someone.

My backup plan was to split the old prop under the screw (like one might do with a nut splitter in machine work) and use jeweler's pliers to spin the screw out if it would come. I'm not sure how such an attempt would affect any DJI warranty claim. I was fairly treated on my claim, but I found the turnaround times for warranty work to be hard to tolerate.

Best of luck,
Mike

Reactions: Drone Views Media
One of the foum members recommended a better screw driver and mentioned the one shown below. With screws so small and delicate you have to be able to exert enough leverage and torque at the same time to get positive action without (hopefully) not stripping the screw head out. I hope I got the right one. I haven't tried it yet, but perhaps I should gently test it with all the screws in my Mini 3?

View attachment 153994
Let us know!

FYI, The #0 PH driver from my Craftsman set was too big.
I did use a Model Maker's screwdriver from a General tool kit which worked well ($8 for a set?)

Last edited:
Here's an idea from another thread which is a variation on using the "nut splitter" technique on the prop's hub.
Vertically applied cutters to get through the prop hub enough to grab the screw head.
...amazing forum...so many smart folks...

I came pretty close to this situation with my last prop changes. I did learn a way to support directly under the motor with one a finger from my other hand (resting on a table to) which allowed for better vertical control and more down-force on the (non DJI) screwdriver. I did think I should probably have a glove on in case of a slip--but I got it.

I also learned by using a lighted magnifier while working, that one of my screws was actually turning even though I thought it wasn't (and that screw hole has a lot of drag in and outward compared to the others--hoping it isn't poorly tapped).

Just putting those out there in case it helps someone.

My backup plan was to split the old prop under the screw (like one might do with a nut splitter in machine work) and use jeweler's pliers to spin the screw out if it would come. I'm not sure how such an attempt would affect any DJI warranty claim. I was fairly treated on my claim, but I found the turnaround times for warranty work to be hard to tolerate.

Best of luck,
Mike
Thank you

Had some incident recently and had a hard time changing the probs too. The packaged screw driver by DJI is absolutely ridiculous and will only help you making a mess of the screws, threads or the fitting entirely.

I've ordered the exact same as in this video, but I guess, any decent PH 2, and Wera is absolutely decent, will suffice:

Last edited:
Had some incident recently and had a hard time changing the probs too. The packaged screw driver by DJI is absolutely ridiculous and will only help you making a mess of the screws, threads or the fitting entirely.

I've ordered the exact same as in this video, but I guess, any decent PH 2, and Wera is absolutely decent, will suffice:
one tip for where he says “inserting the screws can be a bit fiddley”…

I now put the screw into the prop Before I place the prop on the motor. I hold it in place with the screwdriver as I set the prop-screw combo down onto the post with a finger from my other hand under the motor. The screw is made centered over the hole and vertical by the prop hub. I find this the best method so far, and it doesn’t matter whether either the screw or drive is magnetized.

If the screw isn’t readily threading, turn it counterclockwise 1/4 to 1 turn and see if you feel the thread starter cuts finding each other, then turn clockwise to tighten. Back-searching always seems to go better and to have less threat of cross threading.

No more screw hunts on the floor, no more screws falling into the windings, greater chance of getting to heaven (due to the lack of muttered cus words under my breath).

Mike

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
Ya, I had the choice between the Minion tool kit or a book…😂. Do get a better screwdriver…I did for an arm repair on a Mini 2. BTW, take your drone with you to the store to ensure a snug / tight fit. The investment is worth it. ✅

Everyone says to "not over tighten" when screwing on props, including DJI maintenance support. In my previous job in the manufacture of torpedoes, no screw was screwed down without a specific measured torque.
Question is, is there a recommended torque value for the mini 3 pro? Is type of locktight - 242, 243, 262, 272 used?

View attachment 153994
Just a quick pointer for anyone in the UK (and possibly elsewhere), having been reading the 'tight screw' and DJI screwdriver made of cheese issues, I thought I would purchase one of the above screwdrivers.

On looking on Amazon, the one shown is on a 5 day delivery at £11.90. Alternatively, you can buy the 'ESD' version (low surface resistance for electrical work) for £6.72 next day.
Effectively the same screwdriver and probably what should be the more expensive option.

Image1.jpg

I appreciate it's only a small saving, but it's your money!

And yes I've got one, and yes it fits Thumbswayup

Same problem for me and I tried the special order screwdrivers and they too did not work and only stripped them out.. I will contact DJI in the morning as well.... Thanks everyone!!

Hi guys, I have an issue with a screw which won't come out, I was trying to change some props, and all I succeeded in doing was hollowing out the screw. Would it be cheaper to use a refresh at 75 Euro, or to get it fixed without using it? I don't know how this works
I had the same problem with my Mini 3 pro, the screw driver that comes with the fly more kit is bizarrely the wrong size. I saw a lot of people recommending PH000, I bought a precision screw driver kit with PH0, PH00 & PH000 sizes. I found the size that worked was PH00, the screws came out with little effort using that size. Link to the kit I bought here:

Set of 3 Phillips Screwdrivers PH0 PH00 PH000 Antislip Plastic Handle - Great iPhone Mobile Phone Laptop PC https://amzn.asia/d/gbethSH

Best fit for me is an JIS 000 Screwdriver.
Phillips PH000 fits not so perfect as the JIS Driver.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998