DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 3p tracking - how to kill the tutorial video

jphoto

Reactions
When starting tracking on the Mini 3P, you initiate tracking by drawing a box around your subject. Next, a window pops up (blocking your view) containing a tutorial video, and if you play it, it shows how the various tracking features work. You can tap a "skip" link to bypass the video, and get to the actual tracking control, pick the tracking type, then start.

Here's the problem. You can't pre-set any of this. You have to be in the air, and select your subject just to start the process. If your subject is already moving, the entire pop-over tutorial nonsense will cause you to loose your subject, and the tracking opportunity is lost.

I can't find it, but is there some way to permanently bypass the video to streamline the process of acquiring the subject? Like it works on, say, an Air 2S? The tutorail pretty much makes tracking setup useless for me, so I've been flying the tracking shots fully manually.

Also...anybody know anything about maximum subject speed that can be tracked? So far my attempts at tracking waterskiers have pretty much failed for several reasons, speed being one of them. A salom skier at competition speed is towed at 36mph, so you have just a little speed margin in sport mode anyway.

I suspect that the ability to track is related not just to the speed but to speed and distance from the subject, to the angular rate of change to be tracked.

I suspect that the ability to track is related not just to the speed but to speed and distance from the subject, to the angular rate of change to be tracked.
Of course, but that would be true of any drone.

I flew anothere 'test" today, and got into a slightly different situation. I selected the skier before the start, but when the boat was positioning for the start the sun reflected off the water around the skier and the Mini 3P lost him completely. Then he started, and skied out of frame. I was able to manually fly and catch up...sort of...but never could re-aquire the subject for tracking. When we stopped and acquired the boat as a subject, I did track, but at an every increasing distance.

I also tried tracking a boat, at 34mph, with the Air 2S, and that worked just fine, and the acquisition process is quick and clean.

Solved.

At the top right corner of the video window is the Skip link, which I've been hitting. But, at the bottom left is a link that says "don't show again". On my controller it was impossible to see, darker grey, and with my older eyes, just not visible. But, today in darker weather I saw it, tapped it, and the tutorial video is history. And that gives rise to the second tracking issue...next post.

Just adding this comment: I opened a support case with DJI about this (before I solved it on my own). The email exchange I had with them was on the edge of exasperating. I described the problem in detail in my initial request, the first response was a generic "copy/paste" message asking for detail, which I responded to with...you guessed it...detail. The support agent said the video would play only once, and stuck to that through to the end. He was wrong, and didn't know how to kill the repeating tutorial. I ended the support case by explaining to him how to remedy the problem. I now have a support case open about the second tracking problem (the drone backs away when Active Track is started), no response at all so far.

Just found button to turn off tutorials in the settings of rc, it said for hyperlapse tutorials etc. have yet to try in anger but looks good.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan