DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro batteries charging slow

bdooley

Reactions
My batteries are taking 3+ hours each to charge using the the fly more combo provided two way charging hub and (separately ordered) 30W charge plug. The firmware has been updated and this is the third charge for each of the batteries. It doesn’t seem to matter if I have one, two or all three batteries in the two way charging hub - charging is very slow. I am using the charge cords that were provided.

Any ideas why they would be taking so long to charge or what I can do to speed this up?

Are there any other chargers out there yet that will charge all three batteries at once? If so, links would be nice.

TIA

• Wow
Reactions: LoudThunder
A 30 watt charger will easily charge the batteries in around an hour. Is it a true 30 watt charger? Typically long charge times are the fault of an improper charger and not the hub or batteries.

This is the charger I bought. Says it is a 30w charger.

30W USB C Fast Charger for DJI... Amazon.com

Attached picture shows the ratings.

I have also tried connecting the hub to a wall outlet (that had a usb outlet) with a usb to usb c cord.

I am baffled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
  • Wow
Try charging the battery in the aircraft with the same charger and see how long it takes. Or try a different USB charge cord. That charger should work fine.

Try charging the battery in the aircraft with the same charger and see how long it takes. Or try a different USB charge cord. That charger should work fine.
Thanks, I will give both suggestions a try! Need to go out and discharge those batteries now that they y have finally charged. 😀

Which charger port did you use, the USB-A or the USB-C port? You should try the USB-C port using the USB-C-to-USB-C cable supplied with Mini 4 Pro.
I used the USB-A for the battery hub and the USB-C to charge the remote. Didn’t seem to speed up the battery charging when I disconnected the remote charge cord.

Does the speed at which the lights flash indicate how fast it is charging?

I used the USB-A for the battery hub and the USB-C to charge the remote. Didn’t seem to speed up the battery charging when I disconnected the remote charge cord.

Does the speed at which the lights flash indicate how fast it is charging?
Yes the speed does indicate how fast it is charging. Always use the USB C connector on the charger (PD charge mode).

will using a 60W charger affect the battery health? I plugged mine into a fast charger I have and they charge quickly, I just don't want to damage my batteries using this charger. The lights flash significantly faster as well!!

Some lipos are made to be charged at higher rates. I have never seen what charge rates are acceptable for DJI batteries. But if they are not made for higher charge rates then you will damage them. But I really don’t know the answer to this specific question.

Some lipos are made to be charged at higher rates. I have never seen what charge rates are acceptable for DJI batteries. But if they are not made for higher charge rates then you will damage them. But I really don’t know the answer to this specific question.
As far as I understand it the device being charged will have a charging rate limit. This is part of the USB C charging protocol. If you use a higher speed charger it will still be capped at the maximum a device can accept. I can't recall what the limit is on the Mini batteries (you can check in the specs) , but think it is circa 30w so the input won't exceed this even if the charger is capable.

Thanks for the responses. I could not find any info when I looked on the site or within the specs. I am using a charging brick for my Apple book ( 60W) charger. Seems to charge faster than my 30 W phone charger but I have not measured the actual rate.

I would assume that being "Intelligent batteries" meant that they would have some type of fail safe mechanism for over charging.

Thanks for the responses. I could not find any info when I looked on the site or within the specs. I am using a charging brick for my Apple book ( 60W) charger. Seems to charge faster than my 30 W phone charger but I have not measured the actual rate.

I would assume that being "Intelligent batteries" meant that they would have some type of fail safe mechanism for over charging.
Had chance to look up the specs. The max charge rate is 30w according to the DJI website:

• Recommended Charger​

• DJI 30W USB-C Charger or other USB Power Delivery chargers (30 W)*
    * When you charge the battery mounted to the aircraft or inserted into the Two-Way Charging Hub, the maximum charging power supported is 30 W.

Had chance to look up the specs. The max charge rate is 30w according to the DJI website:

• Recommended Charger​

• DJI 30W USB-C Charger or other USB Power Delivery chargers (30 W)*
    * When you charge the battery mounted to the aircraft or inserted into the Two-Way Charging Hub, the maximum charging power supported is 30 W.
Ah perfect so there is no risk of over charging then despite using a higher powered brick. Brought my M4P to Barbados on Vacay and realized that I left my 30W charging brick at home.
Thanks Chris!!

30W USB C Fast Charge
The charger you bought is not Power Delivery (PD) compliant.

It's CFast or QC (Quick Charge) compliant only.
Yes, it's compatible with DJI equipment, infact it's compatible with any equipment but can only output full 30W to equipment with QC specifications.

DJI battery Hubs with USB-C port need a charger equiped with PD (Power Delevery) specifications. (It's clearly stated in the user manual).

It has nothing to do with the cable you use.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I have seen the term PD used in other posts but my requests for information about it have gone unanswered.

I ordered this charger at the same time that I ordered my Mini 4 Pro. I obviously should have done some more research before ordering.

Using the USB C output of the charger does give better charging times but I will be looking for a new charger.

It sucks that DJI doesn’t provide a charger that works with the fly more kit!

The charger you bought is not Power Delivery (PD) compliant.

It's CFast or QC (Quick Charge) compliant only.
Yes, it's compatible with DJI equipment, infact it's compatible with any equipment but can only output full 30W to equipment with QC specifications.

DJI battery Hubs with USB-C port need a charger equiped with PD (Power Delevery) specifications. (It's clearly stated in the user manual).

It has nothing to do with the cable you use.

This small charger is QC & PD compliant.
It delivers 30W max on each USB-C port.
Total output power when all 3 ports are in use is 66W.

Quick Charge vs Power Delivery

Attachments

• PD vs QC.jpg
    PD vs QC.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Thanks. Just purchased this charger and will be returning the one I bought. Interestingly the description of the one I bought says it is PD compliant. But it appears that the cord they provided actually may have been the weak link.

This small charger is QC & PD compliant.
It delivers 30W max on each USB-C port.
Total output power when all 3 ports are in use is 66W.

Quick Charge vs Power Delivery

But it appears that the cord they provided actually may have been the weak link.
No it's not.
The total output power of the charger is 30W.
It has 2 USB-C ports, so only 15W per port (or 1 port 20W and 1 port 10W).

The advertised output power is ALWAYS the total for ALL ports.
How this power is devided amongst the ports must be described in the specifications.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne