DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro FAA Registration

Because it's the rules?

Not sure where you are reading that (maybe in a Part 107 section) but the FAA is very clear that:

I gave the references where all of those statements I quoted were located - at the FAA's website. And it was not in the part 107 section. What is the reference where you found your statement?

There are TWO different registration types. Recreation PILOT registration where pilot is registered and same number is used on ALL owners drones. Unregistered under 250 AND over 250 registered drones. Part 107 where EACH drone has an individual number. Either way the number is supposed to be on the drone.

Reactions: brett8883
Why do people say that drones under 250g are not required to have a registration number? Following is what is stated on my page in the dronezone site:

"All drones must be marked on the outside with a registration number.

You can mark all drones that you own and fly exclusively under The Exception for Recreational Flyers with the same registration number."

And this is stated under s44809:

"(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request."

Plus there's is this:

Mark Your Drone​

Your registration number must be visible on the aircraft without using tools.

All drones must be marked on the outside with a registration number.
You can mark all drones that you own and fly exclusively under The Exception for Recreational Flyers with the same registration number.
IMG_5586.jpeg

I included the link - it is just on the "How to register your drone" page
Thanks for your reply. It seems there's a conflict with the FAA's own rules. When clicking on the link in your post it takes you to s44809. And if you look under paragraph (8) it states this: "The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request." The only thing is I can't find chapter 441.

Thanks for your reply. It seems there's a conflict with the FAA's own rules. When clicking on the link in your post it takes you to s44809. And if you look under paragraph (8) it states this: "The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request." The only thing is I can't find chapter 441.

It's about registering aircraft, but it doesn't mention the word "drone" anywhere.

This has turned into an intriguing mystery. I have simply accepted that <250g drones do not require any registration at all, drone or pilot, as I've seen it stated so often everywhere.

Yet, when I tried to chase it down, which led me to 441, I couldn't find anything excepting these drones from recreational pilot registration.

This has turned into an intriguing mystery. I have simply accepted that <250g drones do not require any registration at all, drone or pilot, as I've seen it stated so often everywhere.

Yet, when I tried to chase it down, which led me to 441, I couldn't find anything excepting these drones from recreational pilot registration.
It might be that the rules are confusing now because the FAA recently changed course about registering drones if you're a recreational pilot. Originally, you registered as a pilot, but you did not register each drone. Now, even if you register as a recreational pilot, the FAA wants you to list all your drones and say whether they have RID. So, my best guess right now is, if you don't have any drones over 249g, then you don't need to register as a pilot or register your drones, but if you need to register because you have even one drone over 249g, then you have to tell the FAA about all your drones.

It might be that the rules are confusing now because the FAA recently changed course about registering drones if you're a recreational pilot. Originally, you registered as a pilot, but you did not register each drone. Now, even if you register as a recreational pilot, the FAA wants you to list all your drones and say whether they have RID. So, my best guess right now is, if you don't have any drones over 249g, then you don't need to register as a pilot or register your drones, but if you need to register because you have even one drone over 249g, then you have to tell the FAA about all your drones.
The problem with that strategy is it will leave a big hole in the database, missing a number of sub 250g drones with RID capabilities. As for your last statement, that means registration has come down to which drones you apply a sticker (or not) since all your drones will be in the database. How can a drone be in the database (against a single recreational registration number) yet that particular drone doesn't have a registration sticker applied?

Completely confusing but not so much when you realize defacto "all drones are to be registered" has been the goal all along.

I don't think there's been a change in recreational registration. In the past, if you wanted the drone to be registered, it had to be listed in your inventory and the drone had to display the registration number. Same thing now, just with RID information added.

I think you're correct about no registration being required if you're flying recreationally under 44908 with a drone that weighs less than 250 grams.

Reactions: InAz
Just wanted to mention, I remember exactly when the registered recreational pilot was not required to list the inventory. It's probably the main reason why the vast majority of recreational registrations have zero inventory attached to them. For far too long, it was not required even when the drone was > 250g. Registration meant attaching a sticker, nothing more. Even today, it's not a hard "requirement" in the sense that the process will block you from completing your registration unless you list your drones. It's going to take a huge effort to get current recreational registrations to re-visit their account and start listing their drone inventory. The FAA database is broken and the instructions are confusing (evidence from teh questions posted here every day) so it's no wonder.

Reactions: RogerDH
I just cancelled the registration on my Air 2s which I sold. Since the Mini 4 Pro is under the weight requirement, and since I have my Part 107, and may use it commercially, is the registration of this drone required? Thanks for any answers that can advise me properly. I'm USA based.
Yup! Anything you do commercially will require registration.

Yup! Anything you do commercially will require registration.
And if you're using the plus batteries, the drone weighs more than 250 grams and needs to be registered whether used commercially or recreationally.

Drone owners are responsible for registering their drones and keeping the information current. The FAA database is working just fine.

Reactions: MrTurnerPhoto
I think that you should just pay the $5.00 for the part 107 registration if you are a part 107 pilot. Just might be less expensive in the long run. Here's a quote from the FAA page, "The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years."

For me, as a 107 pilot, I register any drone I have that can produce good video. That protects me in case I ever decide to use the footage later.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_