DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro FAA Registration

snapdog

Reactions
Site
www.snapdog.com
I just cancelled the registration on my Air 2s which I sold. Since the Mini 4 Pro is under the weight requirement, and since I have my Part 107, and may use it commercially, is the registration of this drone required? Thanks for any answers that can advise me properly. I'm USA based.

I just cancelled the registration on my Air 2s which I sold. Since the Mini 4 Pro is under the weight requirement, and since I have my Part 107, and may use it commercially, is the registration of this drone required? Thanks for any answers that can advise me properly. I'm USA based.
Yes, if you are part 107 and if the large capacity batteries are used which take the drone over 250 grams.

I only have the standard batteries. Will I be required in this situation. Thanks!
If you are Part 107, Yes you will have to register the drone.

But if you hold a Part 107 license and are flying the drone only for recreation using the low capacity batteries, is there still a need to register? It would seem to me you only have to register if you are flying it commercial under Part 107 rules, right? Or does just the fact that you have a Part 107 license require you to register?

But if you hold a Part 107 license and are flying the drone only for recreation using the low capacity batteries, is there still a need to register? It would seem to me you only have to register if you are flying it commercial under Part 107 rules, right? Or does just the fact that you have a Part 107 license require you to register?
I have this same question and I hope to have an answer by the end of the day!

If anyone here can re define this question it would be @Vic Moss . Perhaps he can shed more light on this subject for those that ask.

You CAN have a drone that you fly recreationally only if you have a Part 107. But it must be flown under the recreational exception. ANY commercial use and it will need to be registered with an individual number like any other Part 107 aircraft. You are better off just registering it in case you happen to need it one day for something other than recreational flying.

The FAA registration database should allow someone with a part 107 license to go in and create a recreational flyer registration, get a registration number, and apply it to his non-commercial drones which are >249g. If that means anything. Not sure why you can't simply forgo add your <250g drone to your recreational inventory.

Yes, because you plan to fly it under the authority of p.107.

The FAA registration database should allow someone with a part 107 license to go in and create a recreational flyer registration, get a registration number, and apply it to his non-commercial drones which are >249g. If that means anything. Not sure why you can't simply forgo add your <250g drone to your recreational inventory.
Edit: Sorry I read this wrong the first time. You are correct. As a part 107 pilot once logged in you can go to the “recreational flyer dashboard” and “Manage Inventory” to add a recreational registration.

Last edited:
To condense this thread into one post:

A part 107 pilot can choose to fly recreationally or under part 107.

All aircraft flown under part 107 rules need to be registered with a separate part 107 registration.

Aircraft registered with a part 107 registration can be flown recreationally or under part 107. There is no need to get a recreational registration for aircraft that already has a 107 registration.

The only time a part 107 pilot does not need to register their drone is if that particular drone is flown EXCLUSIVELY under recreational rules AND it is under 250 grams.

If the aircraft is over 250 grams it needs either a recreational or part 107 registration even if flying exclusively under recreational rules.

In other words, if in doubt register it under part 107. It’s $5 it’s not a huge deal.

Reactions: NoBozos
The only drones that don't require registration are those under 250g and used ONLY for recreational flights. Since you plan on using this to fly under 107, you do need to register it.

But don't worry, you can fly a drone registered under 107 under recreational rules. You just can't fly a drone registered recreationally if you're flying under 107.

Short answer, yes you have to register it.

Reactions: Drone Master
No need to register. But you could then never use that drone for Part 107 purposes. But it's five dollars. Why not register it?

The only drones that don't require registration are those under 250g and used ONLY for recreational flights. Since you plan on using this to fly under 107, you do need to register it.

But don't worry, you can fly a drone registered under 107 under recreational rules. You just can't fly a drone registered recreationally if you're flying under 107.

Short answer, yes you have to register it.
Why do people say that drones under 250g are not required to have a registration number? Following is what is stated on my page in the dronezone site:

"All drones must be marked on the outside with a registration number.

You can mark all drones that you own and fly exclusively under The Exception for Recreational Flyers with the same registration number."

And this is stated under s44809:

"(8) The aircraft is registered and marked in accordance with chapter 441 of this title and proof of registration is made available to the Administrator or a designee of the Administrator or law enforcement upon request."

Plus there's is this:

Mark Your Drone​

Your registration number must be visible on the aircraft without using tools.

All drones must be marked on the outside with a registration number.
You can mark all drones that you own and fly exclusively under The Exception for Recreational Flyers with the same registration number.

Reactions: mobilehomer

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_