DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 4 Pro plus battery: how is the Remote ID activated?

giovi321

Reactions
I know that when using the plus battery on the Mini 4 Pro the Remote ID is automatically activated.
I was wondering if the firmware activated the Remote ID because it talks to the battery and identifies the battery as the plus version, or if simply the drone can sense that the weight is above 249g and activates the remote ID.

Thanks!

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I know that when using the plus battery on the Mini 4 Pro the Remote ID is automatically activated.
I was wondering if the firmware activated the Remote ID because it talks to the battery and identifies the battery as the plus version, or if simply the drone can sense that the weight is above 249g and activates the remote ID.

Thanks!

Good question. For a straightforward empirical answer, you could attach a weight to the drone with the lighter battery installed and see whether RID is enabled.

The standard battery weighs 77.9 grams; the plus battery weighs 121 grams, so you'd need to add 43 grams or more. Two AA alkaline batteries at about 23 grams each would do.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Good question. For a straightforward empirical answer, you could attach a weight to the drone with the lighter battery installed and see whether RID is enabled.

The standard battery weighs 77.9 grams; the plus battery weighs 121 grams, so you'd need to add 43 grams or more. Two AA alkaline batteries at about 23 grams each would do.
That's actually a great idea. Simple yet effective! Will try over the weekend, thank you for the idea!

Just in case.......
If you try that it might be an idea to tape the weight to the drone rather than suspend via a single string. Given the threads about oscillating mini 4 pros it might be a bad idea to have a free swinging pendulum attached.
If you do tape be careful not block ventilation.

I would think the Battery tells the drone by code.
I don't think there is a complex system that weighs how much excess the drone has and then "turns on" the RID when Necessary.
How would such a "scale" work?
I think you will find that the drone can detect added weight via the increased rpm necessary to fly. There is a recent thread on I think the DJI forum where someone complained about either a mini 3 series drone or a mini 4 pro being range limited. It turned out they had installed prop guards which had triggered payload mode.
That said, having the battery tell the drone it is over 250g would be a good way to go, belt and braces approach.

Reactions: Cafguy
The drone does recognize when it is overweight (the mini2 se shows a message when you apply the protection for the propellers). However, I don't know if this triggers the Remote ID

Ok I can confirm: the drone knows about the plus battery BEFORE take off, so it knows it is a plus battery thanks to either the specs of the battery communicated by the BMS OR thanks to a specific "flag" that signals that it is a plus battery. Would be interesting to find out this.

with regards to the battery, actual weightof the battery is not what activates RID, but the BMS when it talks to the drone identifies what battery is inserted, each battery has a unique identifier that the drone recognises ,in the same way as it knows when a battery that has missed being updated during a firmware update ,needs doing
again with the prop guards activating payload mode ,its the feedback from the ESC's, because the guards change the amount of thrust that is required to lift the drone, and keep it in a stable hover,that is detected not the weight of the prop guards themselves

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe