DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Goes Mad!

BushWacker

Reactions
I launched my mini from a 2nd story balcony in Tiburon, CA. I fly over the street about 150' and it stops responding to my controller, dives and crashed onto the roof of the building in front of me with no left stick input. I pull it up with the left stick and start to bring it back towards me and it comes back at me full speed and won't stop even when I let go of both sticks. It continues full speed right into the building I launched from. Thank goodness it didn't cause any injury to anyone nor the building I hit from where I launched. It broke an arm and the camera/gimbal is toast too. I have the flight data file, how do I upload it here? Any assistance is Much appreciated. I have 1 repair left on my Refresh but I'm hoping it might be covered under warranty instead since it's less than 6 months old.

sounds like the classic compass interference caused by the rebar in the building you launched from

if you calibrated while on the balcony, then you just compounded the issue with the compass

If you have the files.DAT & .txt ( which you say you do) I think you can upload them via the "attach files" buttom below and to the right of the text entry window..
That worked when I tested it in theis post though I have now deleted the file it attached

Did you power up the drone near steel objects ? In my case, it was the steel reinforcement in the balcony floor. As the result, the compass became way off ( almost by 180 deg ). The consequence :

Last edited:
yes that is very similar to the reaction mine had except I flew across the street and it started freaking out and when I tried to bring it back it went right into the building.

If you have the files.DAT & .txt ( which you say you do) I think you can upload them via the "attach files" buttom below and to the right of the text entry window..
That worked when I tested it in theis post though I have now deleted the file it attached
I see Insert Link, Insert Picture, Insert Media but No Insert File.

They are in the text box. The "attach files" button is, for me, below the text box

I think you may be right, I did ask to calibrate before I took off which I did and thought things were good.
The wording of DJI's warning is not good.
The compass was warning you of a problem and recalibrating the perfectly functioning compass won't fix the problem that it's warning you of.
Launching from reinforced concrete surfaces is asking for trouble.

Reactions: Capt KO
DJI need to work on the text of their warnings IMO. They are very vague and/or all encompassing, should be dialled-in and totally explicit. They should hire some native english speaking testers if they want to make any significant progress on improving the UI

I share your irritation. I am regularly frustrated, and often amused, by English instructions which were written or translated by folks whose primary language is not English. Although when loss of expensive equipment ensues, then not so amused.

I find this forum to be invaluable in learning all manner of drone stuff. I read the Crash thread every day. I will confess though, that often I will read something there, realize I made the exact same error, and realize how lucky I was not to have crashed.

Just a slight digression: I crashed my MP into a catwalk halfway up a three hundred foot abandoned smokestack. It was irretrievable. Man, talk about nauseous.

Unbelievably, my wife was not opposed to my replacing the loss with my current M2P. I am determined not to lose this one.

I

Reactions: RMS001
They are in the text box. The "attach files" button is, for me, below the text box

Thank you I was looking above and didn't look below. Attached is the .DAT file (I think). I clicked on Attache Files, selected the file and got the progress bar that went to 100% but there is a line through the file name like there might be a problem and I don't see the file attached. Any help finding something in here to convince DJI that I didn't crash it is much appreciated. I don't know why but all my flight show up on AirData.com but this one. Could it be because this flight was so short?

DJI said to Sync my fight on DJI Go but I don't have DJI Go, I do have DJI Assistant 2 and Auto-Sync is and was already on. Do I assume they have it now or is there a way to check. Their tech support is Not very accurate.

Thank you I was looking above and didn't look below. Attached is the .DAT file (I think). I clicked on Attache Files, selected the file and got the progress bar that went to 100% but there is a line through the file name like there might be a problem and I don't see the file attached. Any help finding something in here to convince DJI that I didn't crash it is much appreciated. I don't know why but all my flight show up on AirData.com but this one. Could it be because this flight was so short?

DJI said to Sync my fight on DJI Go but I don't have DJI Go, I do have DJI Assistant 2 and Auto-Sync is and was already on. Do I assume they have it now or is there a way to check. Their tech support is Not very accurate.

There is no file attached yet. Are you talking about a mobile device DAT file or the aircraft DAT file? If it's the aircraft DAT file then it will exceed the 10 MB file size limit on the forum.

If you want to share your logs here at the forum you don't have to mess around with Airdata or DJI Assistant ... the readable logs are in the mobile device you flew with.

Below I have made it simple for you to find them ... retrieve the latest logs & attach them to a new post here. One disclaimer though ... most probably the mobile device .DAT log is gone as you had autosync activated, it's a common problem with DJI FLY app unfortunately.

And yes, if you had autosync on, DJI should have the needed logs already ... if they continue to claim otherwise, you can manually retrieve them & mail them in.

Mobile device .TXT logs: (usually best to start sharing this as it contains info about which .DAT log that belongs to the flight)

iOS devices:
You need to access the app files via computer, either using iTunes or with a file system browser such as iExplorer or directly in the iOS "Files" app.

The TXT logs are in Apps » DJI Fly » FlightRecords (or through iOS Files app by selecting Browse » On My iPhone » DJI Fly » FlightRecords.)

Android devices:
The file system should mount when plugged into a Windows machine, or via various software options on a Mac.

The TXT logs are in DJI » dji.go.v5 » FlightRecord.

Mobile device .DAT logs:

These are retrieved by the same method as the TXT logs.

Under both iOS and Android they are in a subfolder, MCDatFlightRecords, in the folder that contains the TXT logs.

Reactions: genesimmons
Thank you for dumbing it down for me, this is MUCH simpler. (see attached) I was using an Adroid device and this was very simple to retrieve.

I'm looking to see if there is anything in here that will show that it crashed onto the roof of the building across the street without any left stick downward input OR show that I didn't Not fly it back into the building I launched from. Would something like that show up here?

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-07-12_[11-57-54].txt
    77.4 KB · Views: 11
The flight path showed up on AirData.com today. Here is a picture of the flight path in Google Earth, it's a "pretty" good representation although I didn't fly past the building across the street like it shows. You can see it was a Very short flight. I launched from the 2nd story balcony to the East (right in the picture) it went across the street, went straight down and bounced off of the roof of the building. I then brought it back and it came full blast right into the wall of the building I launched form just below the 2nd story balcony that I had launched from.MiniGoesMadFlightPath.jpg

The wording of DJI's warning is not good.
The compass was warning you of a problem and recalibrating the perfectly functioning compass won't fix the problem that it's warning you of.
Launching from reinforced concrete surfaces is asking for trouble.
That wording causes more crashes than wind ever could. And it’s been used on All their drones. No sense. Better if it said, “ bad compass location, move 6 ft and try again” or “ keep moving until the warning stops.” Can’t help but feel bad for the uninformed. It’s one of the first things I show new pilots after the sale. Purposely cause the compass warning then move to make it go away. Dangerous warning. ? A cure (recalibrate) worse than the disease (bad location). Sad

Thank you for dumbing it down for me, this is MUCH simpler. (see attached) I was using an Adroid device and this was very simple to retrieve.

I'm looking to see if there is anything in here that will show that it crashed onto the roof of the building across the street without any left stick downward input OR show that I didn't Not fly it back into the building I launched from. Would something like that show up here?
This doesn't look like a yaw error ...

Would like to take a look at the mobile device .DAT log ending with FLY024.DAT also ... if it's not erased.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan