DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini IPAD Mini 5 WiFi only

WingmanLobo

Reactions
Can I run go4 app with all features .
If I set up a WiFi hotspot on my phone and connect to a iPad mini 5. I really don’t want to pay for cell service for iPad.

Can I run go4 app with all features .
If I set up a WiFi hotspot on my phone and connect to a iPad mini 5. I really don’t want to pay for cell service for iPad.
All features except Follow-me and resetting home point to the current location of the controller.
Neither feature is used much by most flyers and there are alternatives if you need them.

All features except Follow-me and resetting home point to the current location of the controller.
Neither feature is used much by most flyers and there are alternatives if you need them.

Thanks for you help.

Wait, is that iPad capable of cellular data? If so, then it does have GPS even if you don't have cellular data activated.

Wait, is that iPad capable of cellular data? If so, then it does have GPS even if you don't have cellular data activated.
Wifi only (in the thread title) kind of suggests that it's not cellular capable

I have a iPhone 6S which I turn the hot spot on, have the iPad Mini 5 link to that, and I've never had a problem. Works great.

No. An iPad with cellular actually has GPS hardware and can be used whether cellular is activated or not. For some reason though, Go will say the GPS signal is weak.
WiFi only iPad (no SIM card slot) does not have GPS hardware at all. It's iOS has other tricks for location services, mainly using a database of fixed WiFi access points and their addresses. This database is populated by devices that do have both and phone home to the cloud with the information. Called Crowd Sourcing, similar to how Google gets traffic information.

There are rumors that a WiFi only iPad can get GPS information from an iPhone connected by hotspot, but this has not been confirmed. There are apps that will do it for you though.
Now whether Go or Fly can pick up on the passed on GPS information is another story.

If the ipad has celluler data and its not activated with a plan, is it using gps through the hotspot? If yes, would trust hotspot for flying a drone?
GPS data comes from GPS satellites, not internet data.
Im not sure I would trust hotspot when flying my drones? Im trying to figure this out myself
There's nothing to trust or not trust.
Using a hotspot would only provide internet data which is not used for any flight features at all.
The only thing it would enable you to do is download unnecessary maps.

No. An iPad with cellular actually has GPS hardware and can be used whether cellular is activated or not. For some reason though, Go will say the GPS signal is weak.
WiFi only iPad (no SIM card slot) does not have GPS hardware at all. It's iOS has other tricks for location services, mainly using a database of fixed WiFi access points and their addresses. This database is populated by devices that do have both and phone home to the cloud with the information. Called Crowd Sourcing, similar to how Google gets traffic information.

There are rumors that a WiFi only iPad can get GPS information from an iPhone connected by hotspot, but this has not been confirmed. There are apps that will do it for you though.
Now whether Go or Fly can pick up on the passed on GPS information is another story.
Your awesome, starting to make sense, thank you

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes