DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Pro 3 - Return To Home

LGLDSR73

Reactions
Greetings,

I hope I am in the correct Forum to be posting this question....

I am new to Drones and am purchasing a Mini Pro-3 (RC) Kit. With respect to the function of RTH, just how close is the RTH function? 10'? 20'? More? Less? I'm basing this on a given fixed starting position and remaining there, but it does beg the question if the Drone sees RTH as where the Smart Controller is. That said, I couldn't see how it could be otherwise.

Many thanks. Absolutely fantastic Forum, hands-down.

Lyman

With respect to the function of RTH, just how close is the RTH function? 10'? 20'? More? Less?
The RTH procedure is a little complex.
I'd suggest that you read what the manual says to describe it.
You'll find the relevant section on pages 15-17 here:

If you are asking how close RTH autolanding will bring the drone back to the home point, that will usually be within 6 feet, but could be a little more sometimes.
However you do not have to rely on RTH to land the drone for you as you can cancel and land it anywhere you choose.
I'm basing this on a given fixed starting position and remaining there, but it does beg the question if the Drone sees RTH as where the Smart Controller is. That said, I couldn't see how it could be otherwise.
Your drone will record a homepoint as soon as it gets good GPS location data.
You should wait for this before flying off.
RTH will bring the drone back to the homepoint it recorded, unless you reset the homepoint to a different location during the flight.
It will not follow the controller and land wherever the controller happens to be.

Unfortunately the M3P does not include the Precision Landing feature available on many DJI drones, so RTH accuracy is limited to GPS accuracy when recording the Home Point (takeoff location) and at return. GPS errors during these two measurements can cause the landing to be off by as much as 20' or so.

In practice, it will generally be within 3-10 feet if left to land completely automatically.

Precision Landing gets within inches. Hopefully it will be added in a future firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: LGLDSR73
Just to add a bit more anecdotal data - my experience has been sometimes it is a foot or less, sometimes it is 15' or more. I almost never have RTH land by itself. I usually use it (being lazy) to get the drone close, and then I land it myself.

The advice to read the manual on RTH is a very good one - read it and then read it again - and maybe a third or fourth time. It is really easy to miss some aspects of things when reading the manual.

The GPS used for recording and returning is located in the drone. It is set when the drone is powered up. Sometimes it won’t set until the drone is off the ground. Wait until the controller tells you that the home point is set before moving from the takeoff position.

The spec for the GPS system used by the drone is +- 16 feet horizontally 95% of the time. Generally that gets closer, often under 10 feet, but is not guaranteed

If you are asking how close RTH autolanding will bring the drone back to the home point, that will usually be within 6 feet, but could be a little more sometimes.
However you do not have to rely on RTH to land the drone for you as you can cancel and land it anywhere you choose.

RTH will bring the drone back to the homepoint it recorded, unless you reset the homepoint to a different location during the flight.
It will not follow the controller and land wherever the controller happens to be.
Excellent information and thank you!
Lyman

Thanks Meta4 and thanks for the URL. I'll land it manually, no concerns there. My concern, being new, is that if it gets out of visual range is getting it at least back within sight.

Best,

Lyman

Reactions: MS Coast
Unfortunately the M3P does not include the Precision Landing feature available on many DJI drones, so RTH accuracy is limited to GPS accuracy when recording the Home Point (takeoff location) and at return. GPS errors during these two measurements can cause the landing to be off by as much as 20' or so.

In practice, it will generally be within 3-10 feet if left to land completely automatically.

Precision Landing gets within inches. Hopefully it will be added in a future firmware update, but I'm not holding my breath.
Thanks Mightypilot2000!

Just to add a bit more anecdotal data - my experience has been sometimes it is a foot or less, sometimes it is 15' or more. I almost never have RTH land by itself. I usually use it (being lazy) to get the drone close, and then I land it myself.

The advice to read the manual on RTH is a very good one - read it and then read it again - and maybe a third or fourth time. It is really easy to miss some aspects of things when reading the manual.
Thank you, Rwilliam99. I am a big believer in reading the Manual. The RTH is important to me only out of concern should the Drone get out of sight which I would hope would not, and should not, happen.

Best,

Lyman

Thanks Meta4 and thanks for the URL. I'll land it manually, no concerns there. My concern, being new, is that if it gets out of visual range is getting it at least back within sight.

Best,

Lyman
Rest assured on that one.

In nearly 10 years and at least a dozen different DJI models, I've never had an RTH failure and gotten my aircraft back every time. I've experienced every RTH mode, and usually use the feature when I'm a long way away and ready to come home, 'cause my flying skills are superb, I don't need practice flying in a straight line, and am lazy 😁

Thanks Mightypilot2000!
The M3P is an excellent drone.

However, you may have a situation where Precision Landing is important, like a small deck you're launching from, in which case the Air 2S is a good alternative, with about the same functionality and capability, and includes PL. It's also supported on the DJI RC.

It has other advantages over the M3P such as better wind/gust stability. Disadvantages like shorter run time.

The M3P is an excellent drone.

However, you may have a situation where Precision Landing is important, like a small deck you're launching from, in which case the Air 2S is a good alternative, with about the same functionality and capability, and includes PL. It's also supported on the DJI RC.

It has other advantages over the M3P such as better wind/gust stability. Disadvantages like shorter run time.
Thanks, will take a look at it.
Lyman

Rest assured on that one.

In nearly 10 years and at least a dozen different DJI models, I've never had an RTH failure and gotten my aircraft back every time. I've experienced every RTH mode, and usually use the feature when I'm a long way away and ready to come home, 'cause my flying skills are superb, I don't need practice flying in a straight line, and am lazy 😁
Thanks, LOL

Greetings,

I hope I am in the correct Forum to be posting this question....

I am new to Drones and am purchasing a Mini Pro-3 (RC) Kit. With respect to the function of RTH, just how close is the RTH function? 10'? 20'? More? Less? I'm basing this on a given fixed starting position and remaining there, but it does beg the question if the Drone sees RTH as where the Smart Controller is. That said, I couldn't see how it could be otherwise.

Many thanks. Absolutely fantastic Forum, hands-down.

Lyman
inches to a foot for me

Although the RTH autolanding may sometimes put the drone within a foot of the launch position, you cannot rely on that.
Consumer GPS just does not have that sort of repeatable accuracy.
Thanks, I do not imagine they would. So long as it comes close enough that I can grab it I'll be happy. Much appreciated!
Lyman

Thanks, I do not imagine they would. So long as it comes close enough that I can grab it I'll be happy. Much appreciated!
Lyman

This may seem redundant or obvious, but I'm going to state it anyway (just in case others learn the hard way like I have) - RTH only works well when you wait until you get the 'The Home Point has been updated' message before taking off. Where ever your drone is at the point at which you get that message is where it will return to when you invoke the RTH function.

Example - you take off before you get the home point message - you fly 100' south at which point you get the "Home point has been updated" message - 100' south of you is where the drone will return to when you invoke RTH.

Apologies if that seems too basic, but it is a critical understanding one should have.

Lyman
My suggestion: Land it on your flat upturned hand and close your fingers and thumb on the fuselage rather than grab it.

There are some good discussions here about hand catching for landings. You might want to do some reading on the various techniques. Some folks snatch the drone out of the air and turn it upside to force the motors to stop. I'm not in that camp.

This may seem redundant or obvious, but I'm going to state it anyway (just in case others learn the hard way like I have) - RTH only works well when you wait until you get the 'The Home Point has been updated' message before taking off. Where ever your drone is at the point at which you get that message is where it will return to when you invoke the RTH function.

Example - you take off before you get the home point message - you fly 100' south at which point you get the "Home point has been updated" message - 100' south of you is where the drone will return to when you invoke RTH.

Apologies if that seems too basic, but it is a critical understanding one should have.
"...but it is a critical understanding one should have.:. UNDERSTATEMENT. Thank you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972