DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini problems after update- so slow. Shows restricted zone

Leviathan1205

Reactions
Hello,

this is my first post. Hope to find some help.

up to yesterday I had no problems with my mini except really poor range in the city. Maybe 200 meters in pretty open spaces. I live in Canada and have the fcc version. So maybe this is normal. If I get a chance to go to the country I will update.

I just updated to new firmware for both drone and fly safe. Now when I try to take off it tells me I am near an airport restricted zone. Which I am not. I was in a enhanced warning zone. So I moved.

I was allowed to take off in the enhanced zone but my horizontal movement is now at a snails pace. Does not matter what mode.

I moved far out of any restrictions. But I still get the warning that I am near a restricted zone.

it takes off. But forward, reverse, side flight is barely moving.

Any thoughts of what to do?

Thanks

ps200 meter range normal for open space city range? Direct line of sight? In Canada with fcc similar to us version?

Glad I'm not the only one....

I also live in Canada, Toronto area. Same exact issue. After the latest update the app is saying that I am in a restricted zone. But I am nowhere near any restricted zones! Closest one is 40km away. Horizontal movement is also extremely slow, and doesn't seem to matter which mode I am in.

Please help!

Same. In Toronto proper I was testing. West end and east end too. Says near downsview airport which is nowwhere near my 2 locations. But even with that still flys.
Horizontal movement is about the same as my 85 year old mother. Drone has been restarted a few times in both areas.

Wind speed is about 10mph constant and 15 Mph gusts. Even at ground level 10 feet off the ground makes no difference in speed. So I know it’s not wind.

Same. In Toronto proper I was testing. West end and east end too. Says near downsview airport which is nowwhere near my 2 locations. But even with that still flys.
Horizontal movement is about the same as my 85 year old mother. Drone has been restarted a few times in both areas.

Wind speed is about 10mph constant and 15 Mph gusts. Even at ground level 10 feet off the ground makes no difference in speed. So I know it’s not wind.

Yep, that's exactly what mine is doing. Says i'm at Downsview airport, but I am about 50km from there over in west GTA. So it must be a software issue since the last update, that sucks, I guess we'll have to wait for a fix...

I have been back and forth with a guy at DJI all afternoon about this. The more people that contact them, the better. I'm in Keswick and getting those Downsview warnings as well! Their e-mail is [email protected].

I just sent them an email. Thanks for that. Hopefully this gets resolved soon. Is yours also flying very slow in horizontal directions?

Last edited:
Exact same issues with mine too. I get the Downsview warning and all forward and backwards movement is set at the cinematic speed no matter what mode I’m in. I live about 100 km from Downsview.

Yep, that's exactly what mine is doing. Says i'm at Downsview airport, but I am about 50km from there over in west GTA. So it must be a software issue since the last update, that sucks, I guess we'll have to wait for a fix...
How is your range around Toronto? I can’t get much past 200 meters out. Direct line of sight. Before this issue

How is your range around Toronto? I can’t get much past 200 meters out. Direct line of sight. Before this issue

It depends how close I am to houses/condo towers. The mavic mini uses wifi, so if you're near wifi you'll get interference. But i've taken it out to the country, and I get much much better range. I've done 1km without any issues, just haven't taken it further because I'm afraid of it blowing away or something.

It depends how close I am to houses/condo towers. The mavic mini uses wifi, so if you're near wifi you'll get interference. But i've taken it out to the country, and I get much much better range. I've done 1km without any issues, just haven't taken it further because I'm afraid of it blowing away or something.

Yeah I have only been flying in a bit the last few weeks due to weather. Took it to some park type areas, over water like close to the lake. At around 150 m it starts to get choppy. Signal loss reports around 200m. I wonder if all the people at home using wifi as they are locked in due to Covid, is making signal interference worse?

Reactions: Frankeh
Yeah I have only been flying in a bit the last few weeks due to weather. Took it to some park type areas, over water like close to the lake. At around 150 m it starts to get choppy. Signal loss reports around 200m. I wonder if all the people at home using wifi as they are locked in due to Covid, is making signal interference worse?

I flew near some waterfalls last week, far from any houses. I was able to fly it 600m away without issue. Could have gone further but didn't need to.

I sent an email as well. I used DJI assistant to revert the drone back to the previous but that was a disaster. It lost connection 10 ft out and wouldn’t record any video. Also still gave me the Downsview warning. Went back to the new version and it is the same as the first time I upgraded to it.

I must say, I saw alot of bad reviews of the urban range of the MM before I bought it, but I have the FCC model and in my city, which is a big capital city, I can very easily pass the 1000m mark with a very solid signal, but line of sight is very very important, as soon as a tree gets in the way the signal drops as far as 200m.

I too am experiencing this. I’m up in Wasaga... funny thing is the restricted area warning comes through with an Eastern accent... funny. The slow flight is not funny at all. My drone is all but useless

I too am experiencing this. I’m up in Wasaga... funny thing is the restricted area warning comes through with an Eastern accent... funny. The slow flight is not funny at all. My drone is all but useless

Well it's at least a little reassuring that we're all having this problem. Hopefully they can patch this quickly, because I agree, the drone is basically useless right now.

Reactions: Stryder
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast