DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini SE is one tough cookie !

IFlied

Reactions
Sitting on my porch, watching a woodpecker working on willow tree. Thought I’d fly up and record video. Target bird left before my bird got off the ground. But, decided to fly a bit anyway. Flew to my shop about 100 feet away, flew under shed roof, stopped, and began 360 degree inspection yaw. Watching the screen now, heard a nasty rattling sound, looked up and saw drone wobbling wildly as it began to crash. But it didn’t! Managed to fly out of there, flew around the yard a couple minutes, then returned and landed easily. Could not believe what I saw! Rear propellers got chomped! No, I’ll not try to fly this way.

Can’t blame myself of course :rolleyes:, maybe lost GPS under aluminum shed roof?

Ordered props form Amazon about 10 days ago. They’re on a slow boat from China, maybe.

Attachments

• 4EB709C1-848E-4D69-B35D-BBA2757950B4.jpeg
    4EB709C1-848E-4D69-B35D-BBA2757950B4.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 63
Wow, it's a pity the DAT log is likely unreadable, it would be interesting to see what the motor speeds were.

Can you post the txt flight log?

Sorry to hear that this has happened! I would definitely stay away from that shed! I am wondering if the drone went into altitude mode, if so your commands would be much different than excepted.
Maybe you hit the wall, or a hanging light fixture or the ceiling.
Were you recording at the time of the crash?

Haven’t yet learned how to access flight logs - I’m looking that up now. Very curious. Will post when I find them.

Thought I was recording, but found nothing (from this flight) on SD card. Probably forgot to start recording. Getting old and forgetful.

Agree the se pretty tough,,I flew into a wooden post ,hit the ground with no damage, I was amazed, I dont recommend flying into such a object though ,,didnt you get spare props with it

Reactions: dozzn
Finally got the flight log - hope this link stays good for a while:

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Thanks for the link !

And btw, the props ordered from DJI arrived in the mail Saturday. The slow boat was pretty quick after all. Haven’t been out yet, very busy and very windy.

Not being awkward but I can't see anywhere in that flight where it looks like you attempted a 360 deg yaw, have you posted the correct log?
Also was that flight UNDER the tree canopy or from a balcony? The heights reported in the log are surely too low to be above those trees if the drone took off from the ground.

BTW when you change the props BE SURE to put the replacements on the correct motors. The bags are labelled to show where they should go and the props are marked to match marks (beside the motors) on their appropriate arms.

If that is the correct log then, to see the interesting stuff about motor speeds, we need the DAT flight log. It should be in the "MCDatFlightRecords" subfolder of the folder where you found this txt, the name of the DAT corresponding to the log posted above will contain "FLY038"

Last edited:
Reactions: eva2000
Not being awkward but I can't see anywhere in that flight where it looks like you attempted a 360 deg yaw, have you posted the correct log?
Also was that flight UNDER the tree canopy or from a balcony? The heights reported in the log are surely too low to be above those trees if the drone took off from the ground.

BTW when you change the props BE SURE to put the replacements on the correct motors. The bags are labelled to show where they should go and the props are marked to match marks (beside the motors) on their appropriate arms.

If that is the correct log then, to see the interesting stuff about motor speeds, we need the DAT flight log. It should be in the "MCDatFlightRecords" subfolder of the folder where you found this txt, the name of the DAT corresponding to the log posted above will contain "FLY038"
Looks to me like the incident started at 365 secs where the number of satellites went to 0 and navHealth also went to 0. Following that the pitch and roll data shows the wobbling. At about 367.5 secs left rudder (black dotted trace) was input but then released. Maybe @IFlied saw the wobbling and aborted the 360 attempt?
1647821700395.png

No indication what caused the wobbling. Maybe the .DAT will help determine this.

Well, my intent was to do a 360 - thought I had started that, but apparently not. Plans sometimes change quickly.

The satellite view of the trees is from last summer, maybe even before. Leaves are down now, and one very large maple tree has been removed. I use the stump, 3 - 4 feet in diameter, for a launch/landing pad.

re: props - I’d already replaced left side with the included spares; new sets from DJI arrived Saturday, might get them on today. Will be careful.

Re: DAT flight log; I’ll dig that up soon, and post when I figure out how.

Thanks for your interest and comments 😊

Yorkshire_Pud, I finally found “MCDatFlightRecords”, but it’s dated 3/23, yesterday. I guess the file from 3/18 has been replaced! Sorry I didn’t catch that sooner.
Anyway, the bird is flying well with the new props. I’ll try to be more careful, for sure!
I’m going to search the forum for info on .dat files, see what I van learn.

Yorkshire_Pud, I finally found “MCDatFlightRecords”, but it’s dated 3/23, yesterday. I guess the file from 3/18 has been replaced! Sorry I didn’t catch that sooner.
Anyway, the bird is flying well with the new props. I’ll try to be more careful, for sure!
I’m going to search the forum for info on .dat files, see what I van learn.
Just to be clear. MCDatFlightRecords is a folder. Did it contain any .DAT files?

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
As in Budwalker's post, "MCDatFlightRecords" is a folder, if it has contents then the name of the DAT, corresponding to the log posted above, will contain "FLY038".
They should not be over written but the DAT's may be deleted in you sync. That is one of the reasons I do not sync my logs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BudWalker

That folder contains only the most recent DAT file. I will turn off the log sync option. Perhaps the DAT file we want lives on in the drone itself ?​

I’m now reading this thread:

“Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide”​

Cool rainy day here - good opportunity for some serious study.

That folder contains only the most recent DAT file. I will turn off the log sync option. Perhaps the DAT file we want lives on in the drone itself ?​

I’m now reading this thread:

“Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide”​

Cool rainy day here - good opportunity for some serious study.
Raining here too some snow expected. Saturday looks great though.calm

There is a DAT on the drone but there is probably beep beeep all you can do with it, it is probably encrypted.
You could ask DJI for the one with the name containing FLY038 but whether or not they will give it to you I do not know.

There is a third possible 'DAT' but it too may be encrypted.
Take the mSD card out of the drone and put it into a reader attached to your computer. Make sure you have set your comuters permissions to show "hidden folders". Open the card and open the folder MISC, open LOG, open flylog.
COP, note COPY fc.log.log to your computer twice, you may have to let the computer add something to the name of the 'second' copy.
Change the extension of the second copy from log to DAT so that in essance fc.log.log becomes fc.log.DAT, you could 'correct' the name change whilst changing the extension.

Download both and install both CsvView and DatCon from CsvView Downloads
I assume a windows computer. See if either of thoses programs will process fc.log.DAT

IT WILL BE A SLOOOWWWW processing if they do process the DAT but it might be worth it.
However I suspect the log is encrypted and the processing will fail.

Last edited:
Thank you YP, will try that !
If you do manage to get the fc.log I suggest you post it so that I can take a look. It can be very tricky extracting the right info. It will be 512 Mb so you’ll need to use a public sharing site like Dropbox or GoogleDrive.

Well, I finally got the files into GoogleDrive.
Now I need some help - how do I share them with this group, or with one or more individuals ?
Sorry to need so much hand-holding !
Maybe this is it:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi