DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini SE Propellor Thread Stripped

Djambosan

Reactions
Hi, Today I landed my drone after it started making a weird buzzing sound, literally brought it in and the second the motors turned off one of the propellors just fell out, I have noticed this particular propellor come loose a few times before so I've been tightening each one before I fly, anyway the thread inside the motor has stripped and I was wondering if anyone knew what size Tap and Die set I should get to fix my problem? Probably gonna combine it with a bit of TFE tape to help secure it aswell.
If anyone has any other suggestions they are very welcome, Thankyou

I was wondering if anyone knew what size Tap and Die set I should get to fix my problem?

I think that the drill and tap is the least of your problems. Just how far do you think you can drill through the motor cap before you rip out the stator's wiring? Even if you were especially careful and you were able to mount the motor in a drilling machine (not a drill press…), and then using the same machine setup, and then used a mounted tap, and you did not drill or run the tap into the wiring; how are you going to handle all the metal debris from the drill and tap that falls into the motor?

And since this is a high RPM motor, you would have to do both screw holes so they have the same weight of screw holding the props and stay balanced…

It is not worth it. The drone is probably still covered by a warranty and since you will have to remove the props to send it back, they will not see any striping or excessive messing with the screws. Just tell DJI the screw(s) have been a continuing problem since you bought it and never considered it a warranty issue until you almost lost a propeller…

Let DJI fix it, more likely replace it and send you back a new one and if you did not buy the Care Refresh the first time, you can buy it now…

motor.png

Reactions: eva2000 and Starz
I think that the drill and tap is the least of your problems. Just how far do you think you can drill through the motor cap before you rip out the stator's wiring? Even if you were especially careful and you were able to mount the motor in a drilling machine (not a drill press…), and then using the same machine setup, and then used a mounted tap, and you did not drill or run the tap into the wiring; how are you going to handle all the metal debris from the drill and tap that falls into the motor?

And since this is a high RPM motor, you would have to do both screw holes so they have the same weight of screw holding the props and stay balanced…

It is not worth it. The drone is probably still covered by a warranty and since you will have to remove the props to send it back, they will not see any striping or excessive messing with the screws. Just tell DJI the screw(s) have been a continuing problem since you bought it and never considered it a warranty issue until you almost lost a propeller…

Let DJI fix it, more likely replace it and send you back a new one and if you did not buy the Care Refresh the first time, you can buy it now…

View attachment 152020
Hey :) I wasn't planning on doing any drilling, was just going to re-tap the hole that's already there and put some tfe tape on the screw to lock it in as the thread wouldn't be as strong :) I doubt the weight difference in the tape will do much but we will see haha :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78