DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Stuck in tree. Can someone tell me what happened?

in the case from the “Fly More” package

Not sure about the mini, but the Flymore cases are usually VERY tight fitting for most aircraft.

If the mini was always placed rear first into a flymore bag, then yes I suppose it could have an effect on rear props over the front ones.
Still, that doesn't explain why uncommanded descents can be so random during a flight, or series of flights.
Very strange, and obviously DJI aren't coming up with a solution easily.

It seems like people here are still trying to figure out if storage is an issue. If my input helps, I had a total of 8 flights, and the drone was kept at room temperature in the case from the “Fly More” package since I bought it a couple of weeks ago. I can’t imagine in my specific case that storage was an issue.

I'm not convinced. The props are supposed to be in this position in the case:

fullsizeoutput_cc4.jpeg

But it is very easy for them to end up going in like this, leading to the raised support below the aircraft pushing on them:

fullsizeoutput_cc0.jpeg

Reactions: Tweeter and Capt KO
Good analysis sar104, thanks for doing these for people here.

Should be a straight warranty claim, based on past uncontrolled descent issues.
Even without the drone, DJI have been generally replacing straight out where the logs show this.

If you approach them with "my Mini did the uncontrolled descent problem and landed in a tree" they will know that you know the cause, and should be less hassle waiting for them to confirm positively.

Get onto their chat or whatever is easiest / fastest, they will probably get you to sync logs if not already done automatically.
Good luck, and let us know the outcome here.

There seems to be so many inconsistencies with that though.
A mini owner can be 15 mins into a flight, and the problem occurs.
Next 3 flights no problems, might happen anytime.

If the rear props are the issue, it's hard to imagine only the rear props will show that storage problem.
Surely not all pilots use the same bag etc so rear props are constantly getting this happen.

A big negative is the mini props are screwed on, special loctite, and should be left on, and the props could deform ?
Terrible design.

Maybe, as has been suggested by various people, the final straw is if the motor spins up to near maximum at some point in the flight, leading to the increased centripetal and aerodynamic forces further deforming the props.

I really don't like the screw attachment method. That seems very inferior to the bayonet method, and I'm sure it was done just to save a few grams.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Is there a prop lock that will hold the mini props as shown ?
IF so, it may well add more stress to the props in a case, not sure.

All prop holders for the mini seem to not guarantee position, even the DJI one.

Not sure how that )or if that) even hold the bottom props.

Amazon one is similar is uncertain position.

I really don't like the screw attachment method. That seems very inferior to the bayonet method, and I'm sure it was done just to save a few grams.

I see Master Airscrew are developing props for the Mini, they've mentioned it a couple of times on their facebook page. Release date is 'soon', TBA

I have high hopes, and I hope they are reading this forum.

Reactions: Capt KO
The first step in this is to figure out what is really going on. Jumping to proposing solutions without defining the cause will be long and frustrating.

Reactions: Pietros and Meta4
As mentioned by others, check with local tree services. It looks like a pretty easy tree to climb with spikes. Relatively straight and narrow, if you knew a pole climber it would be an easy task. At least you found it out there. Maybe shoot a rope over it with a wrist rocket or bow & arrow, then use the rope to dislodge it. Hope you can get it out.

The first step in this is to figure out what is really going on. Jumping to proposing solutions without defining the cause will be long and frustrating.

DJI have probably been trying for nearly 5 months now, not looking good if they can't work it out.
I think the analysis people on this forum first discovered the uncommanded descent issue, it certainly brings a lot of new mini owners here with first posts looking for answers to what happened to theirs, and where to search for it.

Reactions: Capt KO
Flight log: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

What I believe to have happened (hopefully someone can help confirm or correct this):

I was flying ~200ft altitude, roughly 3-4mph straight from my house to get a aerial view of my area. After about 2800ft distance, I received interference issues. I pressed on for a moment and it seemed to clear up. After receiving more interference messages, the drone entered an automatic RTH. Noticing the altitude dropping, I canceled the RTH to try to bring the drone back manually. It received strong wind warnings, then dropped to 35ft after that.

It’s lodged pretty good in the middle of the woods surrounded by a very swampy area.

View attachment 99110

The red dot at the top of the tree in the middle of this photo.

In addition to finding out what happened, how can I safely retrieve this? I looked up some methods such as a telescoping pole and a fishing rod, but none of these look like they would work in this particular scenario. Any advice is appreciated.
worst case senario chainsaw or try to climb

I tied some fishing line to an arrow and shot it up over the branch my drone got stuck on. Was able to shake the limb enough to dislodge the drone. It came down from about 35 feet without getting damaged as it bounced from branch to branch on its decent.

Had I needed to, I was prepared to tie lightweight nylon cord to the fishing line and drag it up over the branch.

I bought a cheap kids compound bow for this.

What I believe to have happened (hopefully someone can help confirm or correct this):

I was flying ~200ft altitude, roughly 3-4mph straight from my house to get a aerial view of my area. After about 2800ft distance, I received interference issues. I pressed on for a moment and it seemed to clear up. After receiving more interference messages, the drone entered an automatic RTH. Noticing the altitude dropping, I canceled the RTH to try to bring the drone back manually. It received strong wind warnings, then dropped to 35ft after that.

It’s lodged pretty good in the middle of the woods surrounded by a very swampy area.

View attachment 99110

In addition to finding out what happened, how can I safely retrieve this? I looked up some methods such as a telescoping pole and a fishing rod, but none of these look like they would work in this particular scenario. Any advice is appreciated.

I can tell you what happened. You flew too far out, lost reliable control signal and crashed. The retrieval part is a different issue.

I can tell you what happened. You flew too far out, lost reliable control signal and crashed. The retrieval part is a different issue.

No - that's not what happened. Read post #11.

View attachment 99110

Me thinks you're up a tree with this one!

• Haha
Reactions: Thomas B

View attachment 99110

Cut the tree down

I really don’t think I can cut the tree down. I don’t have the tools or expertise to cut the tree down, and it’s not my tree. I inquired with three different tree service providers in my area, and I will have to talk to the person who’s land the tree is on to retrieve it. I think this is the best route for me given the circumstances.

I appreciate the good humor and great advice from many of you. Thanks again!

Reactions: Camino Ken
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61