DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mini2 loss of VLOS

Newguy126

Reactions
General question from newbie. If I lose VLOS and the screen goes blank have I lost all control? In other words, do I have some control to, for example, back up to where I get the screen again? Or does it just go into hover (if I have that setting selected) and eventually land where it is? Thanks, just getting used to flying my new Mavic mini2. I did lose screen once and it went to RTH and came home. Nice feature.

You’ll still have control of the drone with a black screen. Your device does nothing more than provide you with information regarding the location/direction of the drone. You are able to fly the drone without having a phone or tablet connected to the remote control at all.

When you get a black screen, I recommend releasing the sticks so the drone goes into a hover. While the drone is hovering you can reload the app and regain visuals on your device.

Reactions: hiflyer201
Well, I'm an inexperienced flyer, but from your post you state this has already happened to you and your machine returned to you by RTH so I see no reason to change things.
You can change the setting to hover but you can cancel RTH when you establish VLOS and carry on flying too.
If you do set it to hover and do Not re-establish connection then you are going to go looking for it!

Well, I'm an inexperienced flyer, but from your post you state this has already happened to you and your machine returned to you by RTH so I see no reason to change things.
You can change the setting to hover but you can cancel RTH when you establish VLOS and carry on flying too.
If you do set it to hover and do Not re-establish connection then you are going to go looking for it!
We’re having two different conversations.

If your drone is in RTH mode it is because you either requested it, or it lost connection and is returning because you have it preset to do so in the app. That is the RTH, hover or land option that you are referring to.

If your screen goes black, that means you have another problem. It means the remote control is no longer connected to the phone, and you can’t see where it is headed. But until you work that out, I’d recommend removing your hands from the sticks, so that your drone will hover. This will prevent you from flying into something while you can’t see in front of you.

I hope this helps, and is a little more clear.

Reactions: natgild and Yogi053
We’re having two different conversations.

If your drone is in RTH mode it is because you either requested it, or it lost connection and is returning because you have it preset to do so in the app. That is the RTH, hover or land option that you are referring to.

If your screen goes black, that means you have another problem. It means the remote control is no longer connected to the phone, and you can’t see where it is headed. But until you work that out, I’d recommend removing your hands from the sticks, so that your drone will hover. This will prevent you from flying into something while you can’t see in front of you.

I hope this helps, and is a little more clear.
I did get that Tony but, if for some reason, the op cannot get his screen back, I, and as I said I am inexperienced, thought it would be better to leave that particular setting on RTH. I am still willing to learn from those more experienced than I am.

Tony, you are totally correct in what you say.
If the op just hovers and cannot establish his screen back his machine will come back to him on failsafe RTH. I apologise if I butted in too early.

Actually and for clarity, not nit picking, the (RTH, hover or land) are "Loss Of" control? "Signal" options. They need to be given careful thought as the drone may reject any remote landing site and hover etc. and then the low battery RTH can eventually kick in. In wind this could lead to a "blown away" drone etc. I have experimented with this (loss of signal option set to hover) and the low battery RTH RTH'd the drone after the drone had hovered long enough to drain the battery sufficiently.

This thread does however raise one point that comes to mind, some of the manuals I have read mention RTH if there is a loss of video signal e.g.
p14 of the Mini 2 manual " RTH will also be triggered in other abnormal scenarios such as if there is a loss of video transmission."
Bottom of p12 in the MM manual "RTH will also be triggered if the video link is disconnected."

I have always wondered if this is separate from a Loss of control signal RTH, perhaps someone can clarify that?

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, just screen going blank is not enough. Why did the screen go blank?
Loss of signal will have the display go B&W since nothing is coming in. The failsafe setting will take over.
I suppose you could get a partial loss of signal, where it probably asks you if you want to RTH.

App crash. Remote will still give you control. See if you can restart the app. If not, RTH.

App disconnected from RC. You still have control from RC. Same solution as app crash except check cable connection as well.

Be sure you have your RTH set to an optimal height. Not too low that you'll hit something but not so high that you might encounter too high winds.

That's why I like the M2 remote having the LCD display. Lots of telemetry there. If you're good you can use it to manually find your way home.

I felt a bit confused reading the original post..."lost VLOS and the screen went black..." I hope that Newguy was not thinking that VLOS is what he sees on the screen.

I felt a bit confused reading the original post..."lost VLOS and the screen went black..." I hope that Newguy was not thinking that VLOS is what he sees on the screen.
I was thinking he lost both, VLOS and the screen.

If you do plan to fly BVLOS, not that I'm suggesting or encouraging you do, plan a contingency in the event you lose FPV and/or telemetry.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio