DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minimum Laptop specs for editing footage

downtoearth

Reactions
Hi all, I'm considering purchasing a M2P and want to first check my MacBook Pro has enough capacity to adequately edit the footage. I'm a newbie to video editing so am not clear what specs I require for editing the H.265 footage. I realise I have nowhere near the specs for 4k editing, but what about 1080p?

My laptop specs are: 2015 MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7 processor, 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Memory, Intel Iris Pro 1536MB Graphics card.

Any advice or suggestions much appreciated, thanks. I'm keen to make sure I don't go and buy a drone without the computer power to use it!

Go to larryjordan.com and you will find an article that addresses this. He notes it’s more about storage capability and speed than the computer.

Also Larry Jordan is the best resource I’ve found for video editing.

If you haven't already it's worth downloading some raw sample footage and editing software then have a go as your machine will be capable but it will be a case of whether it's fast enough for your use or takes too long.

Go to larryjordan.com and you will find an article that addresses this. He notes it’s more about storage capability and speed than the computer.

I wasn't able to find an article that promotes storage performance in such a way but in general it's not the case, unless you're already using a seriously fast PC your storage speed isn't going to matter that much. The primary component for rendering and transcoding speed is the processor and it's one of the few jobs that can take advantage of larger core counts assuming the software is written well enough, increasingly graphics cards again if the software supports can provide significant performance boosts for video work. Although I use a fast SSD for some applications it's still a mechanical hard drive I use for 4K video output as its large capacity is well suited to it and despite being much slower than the SSDs, it doesn't bottleneck the video render.

I use a 2015 MacBook Pro i7 with a 4 TB external raid array for storage and have no issues with 4K video in FCPX.

Awesome tip
If you haven't already it's worth downloading some raw sample footage and editing software then have a go as your machine will be capable but it will be a case of whether it's fast enough for your use or takes too long.

I wasn't able to find an article that promotes storage performance in such a way but in general it's not the case, unless you're already using a seriously fast PC your storage speed isn't going to matter that much. The primary component for rendering and transcoding speed is the processor and it's one of the few jobs that can take advantage of larger core counts assuming the software is written well enough, increasingly graphics cards again if the software supports can provide significant performance boosts for video work. Although I use a fast SSD for some applications it's still a mechanical hard drive I use for 4K video output as its large capacity is well suited to it and despite being much slower than the SSDs, it doesn't bottleneck the video render.
Awesome idea thank you. Am doing it right now. I see the files are downloaded as .MOV, is this how the M2P saves the raw files?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_