DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minneapolis/St. Paul area

Hi from Corcoran!
I'm new to the MP forum and the drone adventure in MN. I was wondering about the 3 Rivers Park system and what they have by way of restrictions on drone flights. Being close to Crow Hassen there is a lot of open space out there I'd like to fly.
Other options I have pondered are basic industrial parks scattered around the cities. Not much to look at, but larger space and not much traffic.
I'd enjoy getting together if that still on anyones "radar"!
Yes, we live close to Cleary Lake, and The Landing. In order to fly in the parks, you need a permit according to the Three Rivers website. I live in Belle Plaine and there are a number of places I can fly around here. A lot of open farmland and the Minnesota River valley.

Thanks tleonhar! Looks like I will not be flying there.

Interesting update, I just checked their website, it says we need a permit to fly a drone, but when we cluck on the link, they only talk about commercial and professional photography, this is a change from last year. It almost exempts us for recreational. Did I discover a loophole??? Anyway here's the site, click on the link for drones. Public Safety | Three Rivers Park District

Ahh... The legendary "loop hole"! I like it! :)Thumbswayup
I looked at the link and come to the same conclusion as you have. I guess it may be worth printing out the web page which states "professional" for reference if I get questioned. Every interaction I have ever had with the HC Park Service has be great!
Thank you for the update!
...now for the wind to die down...

Reactions: tleonhar
Interesting update, I just checked their website, it says we need a permit to fly a drone, but when we cluck on the link, they only talk about commercial and professional photography, this is a change from last year. It almost exempts us for recreational. Did I discover a loophole??? Anyway here's the site, click on the link for drones. Public Safety | Three Rivers Park District

Not to bust your bubble, but I think it's pretty clear that drones are prohibited for recreational use in Three Rivers parks, they're considered powered toys. It's right there on the front page. Sounds like they might make an exception if you get a permit for photography.

Reactions: Kneebeard
Do you need any permission to fly at those lakes?
Minnehaha falls is in the red-zone on the airmap app. It's part of the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area. I wouldn't risk flying there. I just got a drone, am totally new to flying, but don't want to face any fines. As far as I know state forests are ok (not state parks), and private property. All of Three Rivers Park District is no-fly, and Minneapolis requires a permit to fly in any of their parks - though this one is a bit unclear if you launch and land outside the park. Links below

Public Safety | Three Rivers Park District
Minnesota – State Drone Law
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board

Reactions: tleonhar
Minnehaha falls is in the red-zone on the airmap app. It's part of the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area. I wouldn't risk flying there. I just got a drone, am totally new to flying, but don't want to face any fines. As far as I know state forests are ok (not state parks), and private property. All of Three Rivers Park District is no-fly, and Minneapolis requires a permit to fly in any of their parks - though this one is a bit unclear if you launch and land outside the park. Links below

Public Safety | Three Rivers Park District
Minnesota – State Drone Law
Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board
Good point, also isn't Minnehaha within the five mile radius of MSP? Not 100% sure, but its only the 2nd or third stop after the airport on the train.

I fly in the Minneapolis River Gorge area, there are hospitals but if you keep the altitude below 250 and keep a sharp ear I see no harm

Not to bust your bubble, but I think it's pretty clear that drones are prohibited for recreational use in Three Rivers parks, they're considered powered toys. It's right there on the front page. Sounds like they might make an exception if you get a permit for photography.
When I read the website I emailed for clarification asking if I could get a permit to fly my drone (to video myself running in the park) on the horse trails. Here's the response I got:
Thank you for your patience on your question about drone use. Unfortunately drones are against Park District ordinances and are not allowed for personal use. They are only allowed for advertising and major film with an approved permit.

I just noticed that the Minneapolis area UAS grids were updated, on 25 March, according to ArcGIS Web Application

It looks like the only 0 grids left are directly over MSP and MOA.

My work was in a zero grid, except for a small strip on our west side that was 100'. Now that strip is 300' and the rest of our property is 100'.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851