DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minneapolis/St. Paul area

WEOTN

Reactions
Hoping to stimulate something here. New Mavic owner here, first 'real' drone. Would like to meet up with other pilots for an impromptu fly in within an hour's drive of the greater metro. Anyone else interested? I've only an interest to learn to share, but think it would be fun to fly with others and find new sites that are flyable.

I have Friday-Saturday-Sunday weekends, Monday too if it's a holiday. 4 ten hour days so I'm not much of a night owl anymore so early weekday evenings would work.

Post here or send a PM if you're up for meeting a new flyer.

Reactions: JOHNMN and jorn
Hey WEOTN, I am a relatively new flyer, put on many hours the last month. Was flying in Senegal for a week and now off to South Africa in a week.
It would be good to know other flyers nearby, I am in Prior Lake.

Reactions: tleonhar and newguy
Hi Danno, quite the traveler! I hope you get to bring your Mavic with you on your journeys.

Cruddy weather this weekend so let's see what's up when you get back. I'm in Robbinsdale these days, between too many airfields!

Reactions: newguy
Hi Danno, quite the traveler! I hope you get to bring your Mavic with you on your journeys.

Cruddy weather this weekend so let's see what's up when you get back. I'm in Robbinsdale these days, between too many airfields!

Yes, Mavic too except the gimble is broken now, so I may leave it home. It only will shoot sideways. I may try and fix it downward for now. I can do the aerial mapping work then. I am having image issues too. poor quality.

I am in Duluth as well. Would like share some footage of the north land. I know of some great places for some good shots.

Attachments

• photo edit 2.jpg
    photo edit 2.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: Ckoski01 and newguy
Anyone know of some good areas around the metro to fly that won't require me calling places? I live close to the UofMN Minneapolis campus but not afraid to drive a ways... While I am registered for hobby (before the hobby ruling), I just rather not deal with calling... I've flown lots of the cheap quads over the years but the Mavic is the first nice one I've had (had for a few of months). Still kind of new with it but flown a bit in North Dakota.

Hi all Minnesotans, I’m down in Rochester, would love to meet if anybody is nearby.

Anyone know of some good areas around the metro to fly that won't require me calling places?

Hard to find, there are airports everywhere. On the east side there is small strip that runs north/south through Oakdale/Woodbury where nothing overlaps. Richard Walton Park in Oakdale is a fun place to fly, through there are frequently soccer practice/games in the evenings. There are several ball fields and a large open/wild area with a pond and a lake. Several other parks in the area as well.

South of town near Rosemount the U of M has several thousand acres, some of which is open to the public. The Lone Rock trail head is a great place to fly. There are two private airfields in the area, one has a dead phone number.

Reactions: PuDLeZ
View media item 1273Flying from Hudson is great! There is a park right by the boat launch which is a perfect quite launch area and TONS of open area facing the river and the islands which make for very cool (straight down shots).

Last edited:
Could be right but nothing comes up using official FAA B4UFly except that you notify the airport (aprx 4.5 miles Walker field). Nothing on DJI app also except the airport.

I thought Mississippi River area is toward St Paul and Minneapolis though?

Can't fly in Interstate Park also the Saint Croix River corridor is classified a No Fly Zone on the maps, but I have heard of people flying there, so not sure if monitored closely. My neighbor is a SCF policeman and knew of someone flying over the river. Also a couple of grass field airports around Taylors Falls and north of Saint Croix Falls, but haven't seen much airplane action there. Hospital downtown gets a fair about of hilocoptor traffic so need to watch out for that. Lots of maple trees and oak trees along the gandy dancer trail north of Highway 8 for a few miles.

Whatever you do, do it safe and don't rune it for those of us that live and fly here.

Hey from crystal

Reactions: crw92662
Can't fly in Interstate Park also the Saint Croix River corridor is classified a No Fly Zone on the maps, but I have heard of people flying there, so not sure if monitored closely. My neighbor is a SCF policeman and knew of someone flying over the river. Also a couple of grass field airports around Taylors Falls and north of Saint Croix Falls, but haven't seen much airplane action there. Hospital downtown gets a fair about of hilocoptor traffic so need to watch out for that. Lots of maple trees and oak trees along the gandy dancer trail north of Highway 8 for a few miles.

Whatever you do, do it safe and don't rune it for those of us that live and fly here.

Which map are you referring to? Please see following three references.

1) FAA Official online map really doesn't show much but this map does include other NFZs that the FAA has worked with NPS on such as Statue of Liberty and Mount Rushmore etc.
2) DJI NFZ Map - Nothing except surrounding airports to notify.
3) KnowBeforeYouFly.com - This one does have a NFZ over the St. Croix..... but notice it is the upper part which is the part which is managed by the Federal Government. (********This site fails to include Walker Field which is near Afton).

After doing some research on it... the bottom part of the St. Croix is managed by the states and I would assume that is just the actual river itself.

My question is this... If you launch from say Hudson and flew over the St. Croix that airspace is technically the FAAs national airspace so the whole restriction on state parks is that you can't launch/land the drone or operate (the RC) from within their boundaries.

Flying over the St. Croix near Hudson should be fine as long as you give notification to the airports and don't land in the river.

Also reference the FAA official mobile app B4UFLY which has no flight restrictions about hudson except for the airport within 5 miles.

The last screen shot shows "additional restrictions" and for all the categories there is nothing there.

(Side Note: I've talked to the airport manager of Walker Field) and they are totally cool with it as long as you provide the information on your flights etc and even allow texting in the information.

- Please further disscusion on this. Also note I was referring to the part of the St. Croix near Hudson. NOT St. Croix Falls.

Attachments

• FAA.JPG
    FAA.JPG
    851 KB · Views: 38
  • DJI.JPG
    DJI.JPG
    277.4 KB · Views: 43
  • KBYF.JPG
    KBYF.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20171003-174620.png
    Screenshot_20171003-174620.png
    483.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20171003-174631.png
    Screenshot_20171003-174631.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: Menthol
Hey from crystal
Where do you fly? I've flown here at home some, after notifying Crystal and North Memorial of my intentions. Nice shot down Cty 81 to downtown Minneapolis from the air.

Darn medevac choppers fly too low this close on approach to their landing at North Memorial, like they can't hover and descend or something. Flightradar24 on my iOS devices rats them out to as low as 150' agl. I get that they have a critical patient aboard, but safety first ALWAYS is their responsibility too!

My son and I fly up at elm creek park....also Palmer park in Brooklyn Park

Medicine lake and eagle lake as well....a few day trips to Taylor’s falls....minnhaha falls allows drones too....good pics there

Reactions: OCDave
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan