DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minneapolis/St. Paul area

Got a big favor to ask. Has anyone successfully calibrated their vision sensors? I've tried on my mom Apple with no luck and don't know anyone with a Windows computer. Wondering if someone is willing to meet up or I can come to you around the metro to get this done? Or if you have suggestions on the iBook that I could try. Gets stuck at 85% every time. Thankd

Checking in from Houlton wi. Just across the river from Stillwater. Decent area to fly here because I am in an area of open space in between local airports. I have seen some guys flying around the Stillwater liftbridge.

Reactions: Bru034
Checking in from Houlton wi. Just across the river from Stillwater. Decent area to fly here because I am in an area of open space in between local airports. I have seen some guys flying around the Stillwater liftbridge.

I've been meaning to get over to Hudson to film the St. Croix - it doesn't look like they have any anti-drone ordinances or rules in the parks. Do you know of any?

Outside of what is listed on the B4UFly app I am not aware of any. Downtown Stillwater is located within 5 mile of the lake Elmo airport and a route for medivac helos going to new Richmond. Although the people that live near Stillwater are a bit protective and old school. So heads up for that.

Reactions: Menthol
Hello - I'm travelling from the UK next week for work, staying over in White Bear Lake and looking for some local recommendations for where to fly.
I've a car so can travel a bit (lets say unto 2-3hrs in any direction) and have checked via B4UFLY and other than usual 'cautions' seems fine.
Is there any must-go-to locations anyone might recommend - happy with open space, water, wild-life landscapes rather than city scapes?
Cheers

Hoping to stimulate something here. New Mavic owner here, first 'real' drone. Would like to meet up with other pilots for an impromptu fly in within an hour's drive of the greater metro. Anyone else interested? I've only an interest to learn to share, but think it would be fun to fly with others and find new sites that are flyable.

I have Friday-Saturday-Sunday weekends, Monday too if it's a holiday. 4 ten hour days so I'm not much of a night owl anymore so early weekday evenings would work.

Post here or send a PM if you're up for meeting a new flyer.

NE Lakeville (conversationally Apple Valley) here. Love your idea.

Im in Inver Grove. I was just over in Hudson flying yesterday.

Attachments

• 603F3FED-5B39-42EF-A127-A300F2106551.jpeg
    603F3FED-5B39-42EF-A127-A300F2106551.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Bru034
Hi all. I have flown my Mavic Pro from the banks of the St. Croix in Stillwater and have gotten some great shots of the old lift bridge and new bridge. If you use Airmap to define where you can fly, you will see there is a sliver of space where the St. Croix is not in the NFZ but the Lake Elmo airport is on the outer edge of the 5-mile radius. I called Lake Elmo AP once and was told to call the tower at St. Paul's Holman field which is 20+ miles from there (???). Holman field tower said they didn't know why I was told to call them so I just went ahead having made my best effort to notify. In the summer there will be a lot of curious people walking around so you are likely to have many questions coming your way.

Attachments

• DJI_0019.JPG
    DJI_0019.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I'm in Belle Plaine, about half way between the cities and Mankato, just south of the big yellow candy store. Plenty of places to fly, closest airport is Flying Cloud, about 20 miles. We have mostly farm country and the Minnesota River Valley, so plenty of places to fly depending on what you want to see.

From another noob here with my first drone. I’m looking at AIRMAP app and it lists a WALKER field as a airport in east metro. Says that it accepts electronic notification but link opens up FAA site. How does one proceed as a hobbyist?

View attachment 42218

Last edited:
From another noob here with my first drone. I’m looking at AIRMAP app and it lists a WALKER field as a airport in east metro. Says that it accepts electronic notification but link opens up FAA site. How does one proceed as a hobbyist?

View attachment 42218

In the Twin Cities you have to call towers (and MAC), they don't actually accept electronic notification despite what Airmap says.

Last edited:
A state registration also?? Good thing I live across the border then. And the way I read it is that if the airport I would be flying “close” to is owned/operated by MAC I need to notify the tower of said airport AND MAC? This whole controlling need is just sad. I see the need for safety based rules and support them fully but multiple registration and notification where one should be enough.

Last edited:
A state registration also?? Good thing I live across the border then. And the way I read it is that if the airport I would be flying “close” to is owned/operated by MAC I need to notify the tower of said airport AND MAC? This whole controlling need is just sad. I see the need for safety based rules and support them fully but multiple registration and notification where one should be enough.

You don't need to register with the state.

If you are flying within 5 miles of a MAC controlled airport, you need to contact the respective control tower and also MAC. The FAA dictates this, the requirement is to contact the control tower (if there is one) and the airport itself. MAC is a stand-in for the "airport" for airports under their control.

It's a little bit of a hassle, but it's easy - they are nice enough and will know what you are calling about as soon as you explain. If you fly enough, the tower people usually get to know you and make it a very quick call. MAC itself gathers more info, but they seem to have a log book and if they have your information already, that's usually quick as well.

Hi from Corcoran!
I'm new to the MP forum and the drone adventure in MN. I was wondering about the 3 Rivers Park system and what they have by way of restrictions on drone flights. Being close to Crow Hassen there is a lot of open space out there I'd like to fly.
Other options I have pondered are basic industrial parks scattered around the cities. Not much to look at, but larger space and not much traffic.
I'd enjoy getting together if that still on anyones "radar"!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom