DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Minneapolis W. Suburbs Flying

Breal8406

Reactions
Hey Guys,
I am a recent Part 107 Certified Pilot, living in the West Suburbs of Minneapolis. I need someone to double check my thinking on the Airspace in the Minnetonka, Hopkins, St Louis Park area...

I reading the chart as Class B Airspace from 3,000 to 10,000. Class E Airspace starting at 700.

And the reason I ask is I’m trying to make a little money with DroneBase. However, watching the commercial aircraft flying around gives me pause... so I’m pausing...

I’ve got a email and a voicemail into the FAA UAS Help Hotline as well trying to figure out how Minneapolis St. Paul Intl is guiding aircraft flying over the area.

That's how I mostly read it. I work in that area, keep an eye out for choppers as well.

Probably good to check for local ordinances too.

How high will you be flying?

Reactions: Hollow Dog
DroneBase asks pilots to do a series of shots at 100 feet. And they have a TON of missions in the area which is why I figure it’d be a good way to earn a lil extra cash possibly...

But, I watch some of the aircraft flying over head particularly around the Hopkins High School area and towards Ridgedale and I think to myself “really? I’m not gonna be making some pilot nervous going up there??” And then I end up waiting on the mission haha!

Maybe my eyes just aren’t doing me justice lol

My dad used to be a private pilot so I guess maybe I have a bit more appreciation for what goes on up there. I have genuinely no interest in being “that drone pilot” if ya know what I mean...

Is your local traffic private planes or choppers? I get both living between Crystal and North Memorial. Not much I can do but inform the tower at Crystal and flight ops manager at North Memorial of my intentions, and I fly during weekday evenings as there's just too many rookies doing touch'n'goes from Crystal on weekends. I let them know my ceiling will be 200' agl and that I'd appreciate that their traffic attempted to stay above that. I know the climb rate of some craft makes that difficult, but they can turn...

I've found that both places are cooperative and appreciative when I've called, and I did note the choppers fly higher during the times I've operated so they're listening.

I also bought landing leg extensions and have hot glued LED strobes to them, in the proper colors and location. I bought the CREE brighter ones, just in case another craft may notice the flash and avoid... I'd recommend doing the same for the extra safety it can afford. Demonstrates due diligence as well. I hope I never have to find out if they've worked or not, I do try to be as careful as I can be, it's the other pilots I worry about!

I hope they create a UAV ADS-B low power classification for our drones. I'd sure use one. Would solve many issues, no?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929