DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mirroring the Moverios

gjmphoto

Reactions
Hey folks...I'm sure this has been covered before, but I haven't found it...so just point me if I missed it:

There are a few threads on the forum regarding mirroring of Android screens to allow a second person to watch while you fly, which would be particularly interesting with the Moverio - since the Moverio creates such a private world and no one can look over your shoulder to see what you're doing. There are a number of apps out there that do mirroring, plus remote control, but I could not find one addressing the uniqueness of the Moverio.

I was wondering if anyone has loaded any app onto the Moverio that connects a second screen during flight VIA BLUETOOTH (as we won't have a WiFi signal everywhere and the USB is already occupied). If so...a few questions:
  • Which app have you loaded (I would imagine it has to be side loaded)?
  • Did it work?
  • Can you disable the "remote control" features of the app so the viewer cannot press buttons?
  • Did the app "eat up" resources or impact the performance of the Moverios in any way?
  • Was there any interference running the bluetooth actively during flight?
I'm hoping someone has real-world experience with this, but of course, opinion is always welcome as well!

Thanks in advance,
- Gary

Hi Gary,

I have not yet mirrored the BT's but have mirrored my smart phone several times. I had the same idea so as to allow someone else to see what you are seeing. You cannot use bluetooth as the bandwidth is too low, you must use WiFi. If you are flying with an OTG cable you should not have any problems.

~Bill

Reactions: FL AV8R
Hi Gary,

I have not yet mirrored the BT's but have mirrored my smart phone several times. I had the same idea so as to allow someone else to see what you are seeing. You cannot use bluetooth as the bandwidth is too low, you must use WiFi. If you are flying with an OTG cable you should not have any problems.

~Bill
Thanks for the response...I'm a little confused though: The USB cable at the bottom of the RC goes to the micro USB on the Moverio. Where is the OTG cable in that picture?

That is the OTG cable. I am assuming you are using the BT's to fly a drone. The OTG cable connects the BT's directly to the controller via USB and eliminate the need for the controller to use WiFi to talk to the BT's. You must have the correct cable or it will not connect . The best way to be sure you are connected via OTG is to turn off the Wifi in the BT's. If the BT's can connect to the controller with the WiFi off you are then assured OTG is working.

That is the OTG cable. I am assuming you are using the BT's to fly a drone. The OTG cable connects the BT's directly to the controller via USB and eliminate the need for the controller to use WiFi to talk to the BT's. You must have the correct cable or it will not connect . The best way to be sure you are connected via OTG is to turn off the Wifi in the BT's. If the BT's can connect to the controller with the WiFi off you are then assured OTG is working.
I have no trouble connecting the BT to my drone controller via USB - I do that all the time. How does that let me mirror the BT to another Android device?

My assumption is that I would need a WiFi router in the area that both Android devices would need to connect to in order to mirror via WiFi. Does the MPP establish a WiFi network out of the controller? If not, then I would not be able to reliably have a network to which to connect.

Last edited:
You have to go into the setting on the BT's and set the moverios to cast. Not exactly sure which menu it is under but I would guess "display". Then search the WiFi connections on the phone and look for the Moverio's then connect. Your phone must be able to handle Mirror Cast. There are lots of youtuble videos that show how to mirrocast that should help.

You have to go into the setting on the BT's and set the moverios to cast. Not exactly sure which menu it is under but I would guess "display". Then search the WiFi connections on the phone and look for the Moverio's then connect. Your phone must be able to handle Mirror Cast. There are lots of youtuble videos that show how to mirrocast that should help.
Thanks! I'll check that out.

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
Me too when I get home tonight. Let me know you get it working.
It worked! I loaded a free app called wifi display sink player (even though they misspelled synch) onto my LG G6 and was able to cast from the moverio without issue. Terrific!

I'll check it out in flight with the controller soon...but all looks good!

It worked! I loaded a free app called wifi display sink player (even though they misspelled synch) onto my LG G6 and was able to cast from the moverio without issue. Terrific!

I'll check it out in flight with the controller soon...but all looks good!
OK...so I was able to fly and mirror at the same time. The mirroring was a little choppy, apparently. It also disconnected once - (EDIT for clarity: The mirroring disconnected, not the controller or the Moverios) but that might have been because the person holding the cell phone might have hit the display with their fingers or pushed one of the side buttons (not an experienced Android user). When it worked though, it worked!

Just found this thread as I'm interested in getting a BT-300.

Does that mean you could fly your Mavic with your phone connected to the controller and just mirror the screen of your phone to the BT-300 via Wifi?

Well you'd need to look down at your phone to use the touchscreen but you wouldn't be bound to use the somewhat outdated BT-300 controller to run your apps.

Would then be more like the new BT-35E is supposed to work over HDMI.

Hi Pete,

Not quite, You can cast from the BT-300 and mirror to you phone. The control is still the touch pad on the BT's. I do not know if the BT's can mirror in the other direction. If you were able to get it to work my only concern would be the latency.

Pete,

I should have added that controlling using the touch pad on the BT's is not a big deal. I find quite easy to use the touch pad. If you ever had a lap top computer with a touch pad you should,nt have any problems. If not learning to use the touch pad is easy. When you have to do a lot of data entry simply connecting a USB mouse and keyboard makes life easy. When flying a drone you will find the touch pad is all you need.

~Bill

Hi Pete,

Not quite, You can cast from the BT-300 and mirror to you phone. The control is still the touch pad on the BT's. I do not know if the BT's can mirror in the other direction. If you were able to get it to work my only concern would be the latency.
You might want to look at the new app that just went up on the Moverio store: AirDroid: AirDroid - Tools Looks like it allows remote control as well.

Thanks for all your replies. Interestings things happening in Moverio world currently.

I still don't see a solution that allows the Moverio to just mirror the screen of an Android phone being connected to the DJI controller and running the flight app (GO4, Litchi etc.). As the USB port of the phone then is already used for the connection to the DJI controller, the mirroring would have to work over Wifi, which might be not fast enough to prevent serious lagging.

Maybe I should search for a generic Android to Android screen mirroring solution and see whether it can be side-loaded onto the Moverio.

Thanks for all your replies. Interestings things happening in Moverio world currently.

I still don't see a solution that allows the Moverio to just mirror the screen of an Android phone being connected to the DJI controller and running the flight app (GO4, Litchi etc.). As the USB port of the phone then is already used for the connection to the DJI controller, the mirroring would have to work over Wifi, which might be not fast enough to prevent serious lagging.

Maybe I should search for a generic Android to Android screen mirroring solution and see whether it can be side-loaded onto the Moverio.
Look at my post #9. The moverio has screen casting (settings, screen, casting) and any android device can run an app that can catch the cast (post 9 has the app I tried).

I'll have to check if the moverio can receive a screen image...what I was saying for sure is that they can cast their screen to another device or app capable of dealing with mirracast. I'm betting they can receive natively as well... but I don't know for sure.

Maybe I‘m overrating the importance of such a thing, now that Soar has been released.

But it would make the BT-300 more future proof if we knew, we could use it only as a mirrored second display and run future more demanding flight apps on a recent phone.

The not upgradable BT-300 controller will at some point be the reason, that the BT-300 becomes unusable. The glasses themselves and all optical add-ons we have purchased will last much longer.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143