DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mirroring the Moverios

Maybe I‘m overrating the importance of such a thing, now that Soar has been released.

But it would make the BT-300 more future proof if we knew, we could use it only as a mirrored second display and run future more demanding flight apps on a recent phone.

The not upgradable BT-300 controller will at some point be the reason, that the BT-300 becomes unusable. The glasses themselves and all optical add-ons we have purchased will last much longer.
I certainly hope the glasses will remain even when they replace the control unit. They could really mess us up by changing the connector (a la Apple) which would force us to upgrade the glasses or change to the DJI or another goggle. I would hope they wouldn't be greedy enough to try that route. As a rule of thumb, a device should remain backward compatible for at least 2 product generations. That protects your customer's investments and doesn't make them feel like they're on a never ending escalation cycle. They could upgrade the entire product, but allow backward compatibility with our glasses, just sell us the new controller for say half the cost of the total set, and allow us to upgrade...even if we don't get the complete new capabilities of a new product, we could still benefit from the more powerful CPU. That kind of thing.

Here is what the BT manual says about mirroring the image. It looks like the BT's can both cast and catch. Here is a cut from the manual.

upload_2018-8-1_6-31-7.png

The first sentence says "view content playing on a television or smartphone on this product". That tells me it is capable.

~Bill

Not yet, but as soon as I get a little time I will. My concern is the latency. Before I got my BT's I was playing around with a pair of MyVu glasses and tried casting to a device that outputted video. It did work but latency was around 500m/s. Not a big deal but kinda slow.

I was able to get the BT's to mirror my phone. Unfortunately the results was not all that good. Worked great until I activated DJI GO and moved the drone. Lots of pixelation, video breakup and major delay. It appears DJI GO eats up a lot of processor power. it was a fun experiment but I got to get back to work. I think for my next experiment I am going to cast the BT's to my Nvidia Shield K1. Let us know how you make out

~Bill.

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
I think it is not that bad. You‘ve mentioned mirroring worked fine until the GO4 app needed too much resources. So bottleneck is not the Moverio controller but your phone. And phones become faster every year. So there is a chance that workflow may work on future phones even with demanding apps like the GO4 app.

Pete,

That may be the case.. The phone seems to handle DJI GO just fine but the added task of repeating the video may be more than it can handle. However the video on the phone was processing correctly. Perhaps the mirroring app may give priority to DJI GO and can only update as bus time and space permits. Maybe you will have better luck. I may also repeat the experiment using a Nvidia K1.

~Bill

Pete,

I have been very busy and not able to experiment. Have you had any luck with mirroring to the BT's? What would be awesome would be to use the new BT-35 controller with HDMI input if it ever becomes available and works with the BT-300 glasses.

Reactions: FL AV8R
Hoping to resurrect an old thread ...

Here's my experience trying to mirror the BT image to an android phone as well as the other way around ...

I have a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact android-based phone, which comes pre-loaded with Miracast compatibility. It is very easy to mirror the image from my phone to the BTs. I do as follows:

1) On the BTs go to Settings > Display > Receive Screen
2) On the phone go to Device Connection > Connection Preferences > Screen Mirroring > Start

That's it. It works well.

But, what I really care about is mirroring my BT image to a cell phone so that someone else can see what I see when I'm flying. That is where the problems come in ...

My first attempt was to use my phone's aforementioned, native Miracast compatibility. This proved unsuccessful, however, as my explorations led me to conclude that the phone can cast its image, but is not capable of receiving an image (it's designed to cast an image on a TV, for example). When you to go to Device Connection > Connection Preferences > Screen Mirroring > THERE IS NO OPTION TO RECEIVE HERE. From what I read online, some older versions of android phones DO have a receive option, however.

My second attempt was to use the Google Playstore to install WiFi-Display Sink Player, which was previously recommended in this thread, by gjmphoto. This player would not work with my current version of Android (v9). Each time I opened it, a WFDError (or something like that) would come up. I could not get around this error, and noticed that others in the reviews for the app had mentioned the same error. A few reviewers, on the other hand, had success, and I noticed that some of them used older Samsung phones and left reviews circa 2016. This led to my next attempt.

In my next attempt, I installed the aforementioned app on my old Samsung Galaxy s3 phone. I no longer received the WFDError, and I was able to successfully mirror my BT screen onto the phone! These were the steps I followed:

1) On the BTs go to Settings > Display > Cast Screen > click on three dots in upper right corner to Enable Wireless
2) On the phone simply open WiFi-Display Sink Player app > select OK when prompted to connect to BTs

The problem with the above was that the image loaded slowly, was often pixelated, and the application shutdown multiple times when the Mavic would change positions. The app and old phone simply could not keep up with the demand. After trying several more times, I realized that it just wasn't going to happen :(

I then proceeded to install and test about 4 other apps onto my newer Android 9-based Sony phone, but none of those programs allowed for projection of the BT image onto the phone, only the other way around, it seems. It appears that the Miracast, and other, screen casters are designed to project from cell phone to television only. I found and Epson video on how to project from phone to BT using AirDroid and AirMirror. Since this was the reverse of how I wanted to project, I tried the reverse procedure (i.e., installing AirMirror on my BTs and AirDroid on my phone). This process soon became tedious and confusing, however, so I abandoned ship (AirDroid and AirMirror seem to be for a bunch of applications beyond just what I want to do, so the whole process seemed far from streamlined).

SOOO ... What other options are there to successfully, and reasonably easily, project the BT's image to an android-based phone (preferrably from someone who has already successfully done it and come across reasonably decent results)?

Thanks in advance,
AEM

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis