DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Misconception about 400 Feet

Wonder how that will work if they uphold the ruling about registration....

"When you register your drone you make a commitment to stay below 400', and not to fly over people or property."

Read my above post and look at the registration screenshot more carefully. This is not true. You are simply agreeing that you know of the guidelines. You are not required to follow them. The FAA is not allowed to enforce guidelines.

Good to know, thanks. Although I'd almost rather operate under 107 even recreationally because there are three airports close to my home (small airstrip and two helipads). With 107 this is all class G airspace and I don't need to notify anyone.

I hear people on here stress the 400ft from the ground maximum allowed height for drone flying and it is actually incorrect. (IN THE USA)

I attended some training not long ago for my Police agency (non-drone related) and spoke to a detective in charge of the drone section for his agency. He has obtained his license and had far more knowledge about things than I did.

During discussion it was clarified that 400ft from the ground ISN'T ALWAYS CORRECT.

It is 400 FEET FROM THE HIGHEST STRUCTURE.

Part 107 states:

You can fly during daylight or in twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. The maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots).

Link to FAA page relating to this.
Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)

2nd paragraph under Operation Requirement.

So technically if there is a structure near by YOU CAN fly 400 Ft above that structure.

Mike
These are actually laws for 107 pilots, however for hobbietsts there are only FAA rules. Laws are enforceable via criminal or civil penalties, the rules are not enforceible. That said don't think you can just do what ever you want as a hobbiest. In the Florida if you flew the drone in a manner that put lives in jeopardy you could be charged with culpable negligence, nothing to do with federal laws.

My qualifications: Police officer, pilot, and drone nut.

Reactions: Spanishcop
According to Transport Canada it does!
Love the "guideline" revelation - but this begs the question: would putting videos up on Youtube of things you did while flying as a "hobbyist" immediately make it "commercial use"?
nsn

Apparently Canada's height restrictions are scaled to the value of our dollar. Height - 90 meters - 295.3 ft. Our dollar - .71 U.S.$ If our dollar drops any lower, we'll be flying barely off the ground. :)

Here are the basic Rules for recreational drone use in Canada:
If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg, you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.

Follow the basic safety rules below. Not doing so may put lives, aircraft and property at risk. If you fly where you are not allowed or choose not to follow any of the rules below, you could face fines of up to $3,000.

Do not fly your drone:
  • higher than 90 m above the ground
  • closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds
  • closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
  • within controlled or restricted airspace
  • within nine km of a forest fire
  • where it could interfere with police or first responders
  • at night or in clouds
  • if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
  • if you are not within 500 m of your drone
  • if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.

Here are the basic Rules for recreational drone use in Canada:
If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg, you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.

Follow the basic safety rules below. Not doing so may put lives, aircraft and property at risk. If you fly where you are not allowed or choose not to follow any of the rules below, you could face fines of up to $3,000.

Do not fly your drone:
  • higher than 90 m above the ground
  • closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds
  • closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
  • within controlled or restricted airspace
  • within nine km of a forest fire
  • where it could interfere with police or first responders
  • at night or in clouds
  • if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
  • if you are not within 500 m of your drone
  • if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on your drone.
Two days ago I was at our MAAC club flying field. I was on the ground. But a Jet Ranger flew directly (and I mean directly) over the field at what I would guess to be about the 120 m level. He surely was not at 305 m. So how's this working?

References? Being as you're also in Texas I've been struggling with the lousy laws the legislature has saddled us with.
It appears the actual defining item with private property is "intent to surveil". I would read that to mean that just a flyover would be ok as long as you're not targeting someone or something for an extended look.

I agree the wording of the law is "intent"

Had my mom and grandma over and they had never seen my drone. I flew it to 400ft high and 500ft over and my 68 year old grandma could see it when I told her where to look.

Haha! That's awesome! The "grandma rule". I'm all for that!! She's going to be busy being the VLOS spotter for these flyers!

Looks like there is a lot of misinformation / confusion in this thread. Here are the legal reasons (with sources cited) why the 400' rule does not apply to recreational users.

Here is why:

In 2012 congress passed public law 112-95 Section 336 "Special rules for certain unmanned aircraft systems." See page 67. It states that as long as you are operating under the following rules, the FAA may NOT make any rules regarding said model aircraft:

- Operating recreationally. (So this does NOT apply to those operating commercially. Thus the FAA can makes rules... resulting in FAA part 107 which includes the 400' AGL requirement among other rules)
- Operated within a community based set of safety guidelines. (The AMA is the most common one. Their safety code only requires you fly under 400' AGL if you are within 3 miles of an airport.)
- Under 55 pounds
- Operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft
- When flown within 5 miles of an airport, notifies the airport of your plans
(If the tower objects with a legitimate reason the FAA considers this endangering the NAS (National Airspace System) and thus you are breaking the law.)
- It is also noted in the definition of the "Model Aircraft" that it "...is flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft"( This rule seems to be broken all the time, but you can easily fly higher than 400' and still see it.

So in order for you to be exempt from any rulings of the FAA, you must be operating within those parameters. Essentially these are your rules. However this does not apply to airspace requirements that apply to all type of aircraft, such as TFR's (temporary flight restrictions).

The FAA has acknowledged section 336 in this statement. The document explains FAA's interpretation of the vague section 336. The only mention of 400' AGL in this document is a mention of a "recommended set of voluntary operating standards" listed in 1981 in the background explanation of the document. The document further clarifies each of the section 336 requirements, but does not interpret the law in such a way that requires the aircraft to stay under 400' AGL.

I am not saying that you should just blow off the < 400' AGL guideline without being careful and being aware of low flying aircraft. That would be endangering the NAS which section 336 of course does not permit. And it would be stupid. What I am saying is that it is perfectly legal to fly as high as you want as long as you are maintaining line of sight, watching out of other aircraft, and not entering some kind of restricted airspace.

And if all of that doesnt convise you, here is a letter from the FAA basicly confirming everything here: http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/amagov/files/2016/07/FAA-400feet.pdf

Some people will say "Well the FAA requires me to register my drone and that isn't listed in 336 so how is that allowed?" It arguably is not, but the FAA says that registering any aircraft is a pre-existing condition prior to 336 and thus not "new regulation". EDIT: In fact, it was struck down in court yesterday, proving how strong 336 is.

On another note... Any state, local, or business laws, ordinances, or rules forbidding drones from flying within their airspace conflict with federal law as the FAA has jurisdiction over all airspace. The states, cities, and business do not. They can say "you are not allowed to operate a drone while standing within our jurisdiction", but they cannot tell you that you cannot fly over it. Interesting fact that many don't realize, but good luck explaining that to the cops and code enforcement when their law says otherwise.

Excellent post! Confirmed everything I have read on the subject about the "FAA guideline" of flying up to 400'. Thanks!

I can easily drive my car on the wrong side of the road. Easily. And at night, because of the lights.

But I would not do it, even if it were legal, because I would not want to put others in danger.

And here's where things really get interesting... I'll get an ice cold Bud Light and read the thread further...

A Mavic would not be able to maintain line of sight if muncher higher due to its size. Also, as previously stated, 400' higher than a nearby structure is correct, but then again, no Los for the Mavic; would need a much larger uav to maintain Los
I can see mine easily at 400' AGL, and I'm pretty sure I've been able to maintain visual a great deal further away than that from me horizontally. I'm going to test this out tomorrow, I'm curious how far you can actually maintain visual. I've made many flights over a mile with no visual, I always have my RTH set and my RTH altitude set at 100 meters so it doesn't bounce off anything on the way back just in case. As a hard rule I don't fly over areas that would endanger people and I try to stay far away from power lines and towers because of the possibility of interference. Does anyone else fly off instruments or is this a big no no? I don't want to be a problem child for the hobby so I'm fine with adjusting my flying habits if that's necessary.

Reactions: geigy
And here's where things really get interesting... I'll get an ice cold Bud Light and read the thread further...
That comment was like a month ago, dude. Since then the FAA got over-ruled. I still stay under 400 feet, and for the same reasons. Others can and will do any jack-a$$ thing they want.

That comment was like a month ago, dude. Since then the FAA got over-ruled. I still stay under 400 feet, and for the same reasons. Others can and will do any jack-a$$ thing they want.

I guess I was in "browse" and not "trending" - on the delayed response. Bud Light is smooth though. [emoji1303]

Reactions: Jaysjob and geigy
I can see mine easily at 400' AGL, and I'm pretty sure I've been able to maintain visual a great deal further away than that from me horizontally. I'm going to test this out tomorrow, I'm curious how far you can actually maintain visual. I've made many flights over a mile with no visual, I always have my RTH set and my RTH altitude set at 100 meters so it doesn't bounce off anything on the way back just in case. As a hard rule I don't fly over areas that would endanger people and I try to stay far away from power lines and towers because of the possibility of interference. Does anyone else fly off instruments or is this a big no no? I don't want to be a problem child for the hobby so I'm fine with adjusting my flying habits if that's necessary.
You are well within the norms, my friend. It's not possible to use the capabilities of the Mavic and stay within LOS, nor is it possible to get very many interesting videos. It's important to have a stable video feed, and have good situational awareness, for example of helicopters coming in low, wires, birds, etc.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt