DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Missing Panorama

I have a mini 3 pro and use an SD card in it rather than the small onboard storage (i believe the non-pro does not have onboard storage). It saves the stitched jpg panorama onto the SD card in the DCIM folder, in the same place as all the normal photos/videos. When the option is enabled to save the 35 original unstitched images, these jpgs (or dngs) are saved in a numbered folder within a separate sub folder called "panoramas".

Maybe the mini 3 (non pro) behaves differently, though I wouldn't have expected it to. If there's no onboard storage, as specs imply, then the only place it can save stitched jpgs is on the SD card. It may be DJI decided to cripple some of the panorama features for the non-pro model.

There is no stitched JPG 360 Pano in the main folder. In the "Panoramas" folder, there are 35 DNG and 35 JPG.

Strange!

I have a mini 3 pro and use an SD card in it rather than the small onboard storage (i believe the non-pro does not have onboard storage). It saves the stitched jpg panorama onto the SD card in the DCIM folder, in the same place as all the normal photos/videos. When the option is enabled to save the 35 original unstitched images, these jpgs (or dngs) are saved in a numbered folder within a separate sub folder called "panoramas".

Maybe the mini 3 (non pro) behaves differently, though I wouldn't have expected it to. If there's no onboard storage, as specs imply, then the only place it can save stitched jpgs is on the SD card. It may be DJI decided to cripple some of the panorama features for the non-pro model.
yes definitely something that DJI is playing around between the Pro and Not pro version. I can tell you I looked on the SD card anywhere even enabled show hidden files, the stitched file is nowhere. Since you are saying the non Pro version does not have internal storage, then its saved instead on the controller in low resolution. Because I can get it only trough the controller, but it requires me to connect via wifi to the drone to download. So I think maybe its getting it from the cache where we don't have access. I am happy that Amazon is so good on returns, I will return this drone and try the Pro.

There is no stitched JPG 360 Pano in the main folder. In the "Panoramas" folder, there are 35 DNG and 35 JPG.

Strange!

1. However, if I go to the DJI Fly App and click on the Gallery, the 360 Photo is there. Is that where it it stitched then?

2. After your drone is done with the 35 Pano Photos (100%), does it stitch right there? Mine did not stitch anything and it is ready immediately avail to do more shots.

1. However, if I go to the DJI Fly App and click on the Gallery, the 360 Photo is there. Is that where it it stitched then?

2. After your drone is done with the 35 Pano Photos (100%), does it stitch right there? Mine did not stitch anything and it is ready immediately avail to do more shots.
With my mini3pro taking a pano sphere it reaches 50% when it finishes taking the last of the 35 images. From 51% to 100% it is presumably stitching the hi res output, which gets saved into the dcim folder on the sd card. During that time you can fly the drone to a new location but can't take more photos until it reaches 100%.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
With my mini3pro taking a pano sphere it reaches 50% when it finishes taking the last of the 35 images. From 51% to 100% it is presumably stitching the hi res output, which gets saved into the dcim folder on the sd card. During that time you can fly the drone to a new location but can't take more photos until it reaches 100%.
My drone reach 100% and I can take the next set of Pano right away.

I like it that it doesn't waste time on the stitching when my drone is in the air.

My drone must be special.

I'm usually not in a big rush when shooting panos and since I wonder if the jpg stitching process taxes mini's brain power I usually continue to hover for an additional 10 secs during the 50 to 100% processing rather than doing any flying or maneuvering that might further stress the stitching process. Don't know if it helps but I usually like the automated jpg results for my purposes.
If I want a higher quality I can always use the raw files with MS ICE, Affinity Photo or Photoshop and do some further editing.

Do you get a stitched pano on the SD card if you don't save the DNGs?

I'm usually not in a big rush when shooting panos and since I wonder if the jpg stitching process taxes mini's brain power I usually continue to hover for an additional 10 secs during the 50 to 100% processing rather than doing any flying or maneuvering that might further stress the stitching process. Don't know if it helps but I usually like the automated jpg results for my purposes.
If I want a higher quality I can always use the raw files with MS ICE, Affinity Photo or Photoshop and do some further editing.
I have not found any sotware yet that can stitch those files together, probobly DJI did not provide enough data to do so :(

There's plenty of software that can stitch photos together without needing embedded data. Hugin, PTGUI, Photoshop, Affinity Photo…
Will they stitch raw DNGs? Photoshop will, but I don't know about the others.

I have not found any sotware yet that can stitch those files together, probobly DJI did not provide enough data to do so :(

DNG is a container. You want to get it out of the container, save as JPG, TIFF, etc. so other software can use it.

DNG is a container. You want to get it out of the container, save as JPG, TIFF, etc. so other software can use it.
DNG can store raw, uncompressed, non-debayered image data. JPG can not.

Shot a panorama today on the Mini 3 Pro, drone took the pictures then I watched the processing go to 100% yet there is NO Panorama on the SD card nor any folder with files, it's as if I didn't take one. Has anyone else encountered this?
Yes, for me there are no panos whatever. I shot 3 panos on my Mini 3 Pro that are impossible to redo, but the Panorama folder was empty! No subfolders.

Yes, for me there are no panos whatever. I shot 3 panos on my Mini 3 Pro that are impossible to redo, but the Panorama folder was empty! No subfolders.
You aren't saving the originals. You can change the setting in the camera preferences to save the originals, and choose the format. This setting often gets reset back to not saving the originals by system updates. Or possibly other things: last month I lost two good panoramas because I didn't notice that my drone had reset to not saving the originals (no idea why) and the clouds had moved in by the time I noticed.

A handy reminder not to skimp on my pre-flight checks, not matter how quickly the light is changing!

Reactions: DJ_Mini
You aren't saving the originals. You can change the setting in the camera preferences to save the originals, and choose the format. This setting often gets reset back to not saving the originals by system updates. Or possibly other things: last month I lost two good panoramas because I didn't notice that my drone had reset to not saving the originals (no idea why) and the clouds had moved in by the time I noticed.

A handy reminder not to skimp on my pre-flight checks, not matter how quickly the light is changing!
Thanks for letting me know Robert. I really hope DJI realises the importance of settings continuity. When I went to settings it showed Save Originals and JPEG highlighted, so are you saying we need to open that setting before it becomes activated? When I first set up the drone it saved panoramas from the outset, before I even know about that setting.

Thanks for letting me know Robert. I really hope DJI realises the importance of settings continuity. When I went to settings it showed Save Originals and JPEG highlighted, so are you saying we need to open that setting before it becomes activated? When I first set up the drone it saved panoramas from the outset, before I even know about that setting.
When that is set (and assuming that the panorama finishes processing) there should be a stitched panorama in the regular folder with other pictures and movies, and the original images in the Panoramas folder in a subfolder (with the same name as the stitched panorama) names Panorama 1, Panorama 2, and so on.

If the stitching process is interrupted then I think nothing is saved. (I could be wrong about this, but I know I've stopped the processing after all the individual pictures were taken when it began raining and I wanted to land right away and there were no images saved at all.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga