DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MM CE into FCC hack

Sorry, I should have said:
"if one doesn't pay attention and "FORGETS" to disconnect the phone before turning off the RC and MM then the MM will revert back to the CE mode and the hack has to be done again"

When landing, just close the dji fly app before the drone touches down. Works fine on my iPhone.

Reactions: Gommapal
Interesting routine. I use another method with my android but yours sounds good.

When you land your MM what is the routine ?
Do you disconnect the phone before turning the RC and MM off or just turn all off and use the aluminum foil trick before starting it up again ?

the moment I land I get a message in the app saying that it is changed to local regulations, or smth similar. So yeah every time before take off I have to redo the whole routine.

I live in Europe and want to order a MM direct from DJI. Would it make sense to order to a parcel forwarding US address to get a FCC drone with a better range???

I tried it today too and it works but i cannot fly because of the weather. I had to go developer options to put the app in the fake gps in there and it worked after that. Flying soon!

the moment I land I get a message in the app saying that it is changed to local regulations, or smth similar. So yeah every time before take off I have to redo the whole routine.

Terminate the app while mm is close and land with the left stick down, is the app that will do the switch otherwise.

This is how I do it with my iPhone ;

You need to shield the aircraft from receiving GPS signals before taking off. Otherwise it will set it back to local regulated signal strength.

For iPhone users;
Get ISpoofer
Set the phone location to USA. Disconnect the cable.

Connect it to the remote control, turn on remote control.
Before turning on aircraft, shield it from receiving GPS signals. A piece of aluminium foil will do the trick.
Turn it on. Then when you are all set to take off, remove the aluminium foil and quickly take off.
The aircraft will receive the local GPS coordinates but because it is in flight it cannot change the signal anymore. Return to home works as usual.

Please what is the ISpoofer
Its App in App store for IPhone?
How I get it please
Can I have the link?
Thank uou

Anyone tried this ?
I thought I would need this too, but honestly it’s completely unnecessary. Range on the CE model is 2 km and that is more than enough. I have tested the range twice now, flying 1 km away both times, and it was much farther than I was comfortable with. Not because the drone acted weirdly - I did not experience any problems of any kind. But Mostly because I was completely unable to assess drone surroundings for possible accidents (e.g. flying too close to a tree or some stupid flock of birds attacked the drone). To me the drone was expensive and I want to own it for a long time by handling and flying it with care. A distance of 500 m is more than enough for the majority of people and you only need the long range when you want to test the range... So yeah, maybe once or twice a year...

When landing, just close the dji fly app before the drone touches down. Works fine on my iPhone.

That's a good option. It would save wear and tear on the USB connection on the RC if it works on your phone. I have an Honor 8 phone and sometimes that would work and sometimes not. I have to stick to unplugging it. Having said that, I unplug at the phone end so not to work the RC usb connection so much.

Confirmed. FCC hack works.

Here, at spain, I got 1000 mt at 5.8Ghz using hack. Same urban area no hack only 500 mt. That's double range :)

Thanks for your help and advices

R.

Your method works to preserve hack for next flight, but I realized forced exit from app fefore landing causes flight log corruption. Flight path ends abruptly in mid-flight, end half of flight path is missing.

Looking for alternatives I succesfully tried landing drone in a normal way (using DJI Fly app) but turnin off Mavic Mini as soon as it touches down, before it can process the changing WIFI region command from controller.

Best regards.

R.

Reactions: Mavic_Mini_Pilot
Your method works to preserve hack for next flight, but I realized forced exit from app fefore landing causes flight log corruption. Flight path ends abruptly in mid-flight, end half of flight path is missing.

Looking for alternatives I succesfully tried landing drone in a normal way (using DJI Fly app) but turnin off Mavic Mini as soon as it touches down, before it can process the changing WIFI region command from controller.

Best regards.

R.

I didn’t realize that the flight log gets corrupted, because I almost never use the flight log

Instead of closing the app, turning off the drone or disconnecting the phone, what about switching off the controller upon landing?

And do you force close the app or simply return to your home screen? I always simply swipe back to home screen (not force closing) and this does the trick.

Reactions: raulmavic
And do you force close the app or simply return to your home screen? I always simply swipe back to home screen (not force closing) and this does the trick.
I did't force close DJI Fly app, when mavic airborne in front of me, I quit flight view, returned main menu and then press exit twice.
By the way, fligh log corruption issue only happened to me once, maybe an isolated error ?
Instead of closing the app, turning off the drone or disconnecting the phone, what about switching off the controller upon landing?
You are right, switching off controller just after landing should work too. Key point is not allowing DJI Fly application sending Wi-Fi region change command to the Mavic Mini through remote controller after landing.

R.

There are other posts and threads on this forum where (I'm told) the difference in RC Controller hardware is pointed out. Apparently, the CE version of the MM Controller is missing a linear amplifier on the RF transmitter. This would mean that you would only get to see the FAA WiFi channel allocation by doing the hack, but - without the amplifier IC - how can you get more transmission power???

Has anybody compared the circuit-board layouts of the CE and FCC versions of the Mav Mini??

I use the FCC Hack on my CE Mini all the time now. I have an Android phone by default, so its really easy for me to always use this hack.

I want to be absolutely honest here, I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW MUCH WAY WAY WAY BETTER THE TRANSMISSION IS WITH THIS FCC HACK!

I'll give you a real world example here, from my personal experience. As some of you already know I live in Bulgaria, Sofia - near the City Center (about 3km form the absolute center). There is a load of Wi-Fi interference in my area. Some time ago I flew my Mini over to a Stadium(I have a few flights like that) which is about 150m away from my place. Now I fly out my balcony, so you can imagine how much Wi-Fi is just around the base of where I take of from, ever mind the other Wi-Fi once I get out near the actual Stadium!

Anyway, so some time ago when I flew over there, was my first flight so far away, I noticed that when the Mini was about 60m altitude and 125m distance away from me - THE VIDEO FEED PICTURE started becoming very choppy and laggy and it honestly scared me to bits almost! So after that I realized how simple this FCC Hack is and started using it. Inside my apartment in the inner corridor there is no GPS signals at all, so I always start up Fake GPS and take off from my corridor, this way the Mini is always in FCC mode, with 11 channels only for the 2.4ghz band. If the 2.4ghz band had a free channel, with no interference then I would never be using the FCC Hack, I'd just put it on 2.4ghz and fly like that up to 3km I've seen videos of.

So after I started using the FCC Hack I noticed that my VIDEO RECEPTION IMMEDIATELY BECAME SUPER SUPER FLUID AND THE TRANSMISSION WAS REALLY AWAY 100% Perfect! I don't fly far out, but It is very nice to know that this FCC Hack effectively doubles the range on my Mini, I've seen a video where they fly 1.3km in 5.8ghz using a CE version that is FCC Hacked.

So because I'm flying in the city I prefer to be on the safe side, I'd rather be safe. And also guys my logs don't get corrupted at all, I upload them all to DJI always and never had a problem. But I always land normally. When I land, strangely the Mini does not switch back to CE mode, before it used to do that I think - now it just stays in FCC.

Also I live in a blue Authorization GEO Zone, so I first have to fly normally and unlock the Enhanced Warning Zone and the 3 different Authorization zones I live it and then only to I restart and do the FCC Hack.

This FCC Hack has made me love my Mini even more, now knowing that I can fly it about 1km very safely in 5.8ghz I feel my Mini is complete! I stil have to go to a rural area and try the 2,4ghz - as all the 2.4ghz channels are always red, all of them red not even one available!

Reactions: raulmavic
There are other posts and threads on this forum where (I'm told) the difference in RC Controller hardware is pointed out. Apparently, the CE version of the MM Controller is missing a linear amplifier on the RF transmitter. This would mean that you would only get to see the FAA WiFi channel allocation by doing the hack, but - without the amplifier IC - how can you get more transmission power???

Has anybody compared the circuit-board layouts of the CE and FCC versions of the Mav Mini??

Yes the hardware has been compared, there is an amplifier called Sky... something-something can't remember exactly just that it starts with a Sky and is an amplifier in the FCC version's Control(TX)! Soo we've already cracked and found out exactly how this all works, as I've reached out to DJI and asked them about this!

DJI says that the FCC version has different hardware, hence the amplifier. Also I asked them what happens when I take my CE Mini to the US? DJI says that the Device will chenge its settings to produce more power ON THE SAME CIRCUIT! So even though there is no amplifier chip, DJI feeds more power to the transmitter when it's in 5.8ghz mode! This is the reason why the real FCC drone can fly over 4km and the CE drone can only fly 1.3km with 5.8ghz when Hacked and not the full 4km. If it also had the Sky amplifier chip then it would reach 4km, but as it doesn't have it - the best DJI could do is to just boost the power by a little to effectifely double the CE 5.8ghz range.

I've already tried it, and yes it does work. My CE Mini ca reach over 1km in the City that is! before it could not go over 350m without extreme lag and the video feed would completely go away at about 450m in the city! So the FCC Hack most definitely does work, but it's only worth using if you can't manually switch over to 2.4ghz, as in 2.4ghz I get 2.3km easily!

For me its really simple and easy to hack my Mini to be FCC, where it has 11 of the 2.4gz channels only. Honestly ever since I started flying with the FCC Hack my video feed is super stable, clear, and fluid with no lag, no chopping of the image nothing, just a really good and strong signal reception!

I really hope that DJI would just make this an option, so we don't have to hack it. Or even permanently enable such power for the CE Mini, so it reaches over 1km in 5.8ghz, then we can still use the 2.4ghz for the rural areas. In the city I really do make use of the 1.3km range the CE Mini offers in 5.8ghz when FCC Hacked.

I always check my channels, and if it is possible that I fly in 2,4ghz then I don't do the hack as its not needed(2.4ghz has just over 3km in rural areas - which is very nice)!

cool cool....

Last edited:
Yes the hardware has been compared, there is an amplifier called Sky... something-something can't remember exactly just that it starts with a Sky and is an amplifier in the FCC version's Control(TX)! Soo we've already cracked and found out exactly how this all works, as I've reached out to DJI and asked them about this!

DJI says that the FCC version has different hardware, hence the amplifier. Also I asked them what happens when I take my CE Mini to the US? DJI says that the Device will chenge its settings to produce more power ON THE SAME CIRCUIT! So even though there is no amplifier chip, DJI feeds more power to the transmitter when it's in 5.8ghz mode! This is the reason why the real FCC drone can fly over 4km and the CE drone can only fly 1.3km with 5.8ghz when Hacked and not the full 4km. If it also had the Sky amplifier chip then it would reach 4km, but as it doesn't have it - the best DJI could do is to just boost the power by a little to effectifely double the CE 5.8ghz range.

I've already tried it, and yes it does work. My CE Mini ca reach over 1km in the City that is! before it could not go over 350m without extreme lag and the video feed would completely go away at about 450m in the city! So the FCC Hack most definitely does work, but it's only worth using if you can't manually switch over to 2.4ghz, as in 2.4ghz I get 2.3km easily!

For me its really simple and easy to hack my Mini to be FCC, where it has 11 of the 2.4gz channels only. Honestly ever since I started flying with the FCC Hack my video feed is super stable, clear, and fluid with no lag, no chopping of the image nothing, just a really good and strong signal reception!

I really hope that DJI would just make this an option, so we don't have to hack it. Or even permanently enable such power for the CE Mini, so it reaches over 1km in 5.8ghz, then we can still use the 2.4ghz for the rural areas. In the city I really do make use of the 1.3km range the CE Mini offers in 5.8ghz when FCC Hacked.

I always check my channels, and if it is possible that I fly in 2,4ghz then I don't do the hack as its not needed(2.5ghz has just over 3km in rural areas - which is very nice)!

cool cool....
Sounds pretty conclusive ... I'm not saying I don't believe you so don't think that - But - it is possible to get better transmission/reception by simply changing the carrier frequency (2.4 or 4.8 GHz) and/or WIFi channel - especially when you are putting the device onto a frequency or channel that's not used in your area. I'm still wondering what the actual difference is in transmitted power between the CE and FCC when the hack is done on a CE device. That can only really be confirmed with an RF signal strength meter.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_