DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MOA Authorization Question

DatsunPriest

Reactions
Hello all, new to the forum and flying in general. Have a question about MOA, specifically Brush Creek in peebles ohio. Sorry if this is a basic question. Is it ok to fly a mini 2 in this airspace? Friend has a farm that we ride enduro in the woods and I'm wondering if it's ok to fly there to get some video. The app also has a time posted which says Mon to saturday. We would be going on Sunday so would that be ok? And would I request laanc or not?

The MOA is above 100 ft AGL, so you may not even encroach on it if you are doing low-level video. But, in any case, VFR flights (and by extension sUAS operations) are not actually prohibited in an MOA, notwithstanding the request on the sectional, and this is Class G airspace below 700 ft.

1616281655330.png

Reactions: Thomas B
The MOA is above 100 ft AGL, so you may not even encroach on it if you are doing low-level video. But, in any case, VFR flights (and by extension sUAS operations) are not actually prohibited in an MOA, notwithstanding the request on the sectional, and this is Class G airspace below 700 ft.

View attachment 126030
Sorry I'm very new to this, you might have to dumb that down for me lol. I gather that yes I can fly here? So long as I stay below 100' agl?

Sorry I'm very new to this, you might have to dumb that down for me lol. I gather that yes I can fly here? So long as I stay below 100' agl?

Apologies - I could have made that clearer. Yes - the MOA doesn't start until 100 ft AGL, and so below that there is no issue at all. Above 100 ft AGL you would be in the MOA but that is not actually prohibited anyway.

Gotcha, so the MOA isn't really prohibited at all, and is simply more of an advisory that there will/may be aircraft in the area at the designated time. That clears things up tremendously, thanks a lot for your time :) Happy flying

Hello all, new to the forum and flying in general. Have a question about MOA, specifically Brush Creek in peebles ohio. Sorry if this is a basic question. Is it ok to fly a mini 2 in this airspace? Friend has a farm that we ride enduro in the woods and I'm wondering if it's ok to fly there to get some video. The app also has a time posted which says Mon to saturday. We would be going on Sunday so would that be ok? And would I request laanc or not?
I been flying in an MOA for 2 seasons, Adirondack C. It also has a 100 ft AGL floor and some of the trees there are 100 ft or more tall. If you fly on off days and hours then you are fine. I have had a similar question myself. Can you fly in an active MOA? As I could not find anything specific about it in sUAS regulations. Glad you posed the question.
Thanks for the answer sar104

The second question I have is this
The sectional chart for my region shows Boston CNTR as Contact Facility and gives a radio frequency. Even if I had a mobile radio I doubt I could reach Boston from the ground on the other side of the Adirondack Mountain range. The Air Base is only about 30 miles away. My question, is there an alternate way to make contact with the Base to find out if the MOA was going to be used on a particular day? Probably sensitive information. Just don't want to be in the air period if the Jets are flying.

Last edited:
By the way welcome to the forum DatsunPriest.

Reactions: DatsunPriest
I been flying in an MOA for 2 seasons, Adirondack C. It also has a 100 ft AGL floor and some of the trees there are 100 ft or more tall. If you fly on off days and hours then you are fine. I have had a similar question myself. Can you fly in an active MOA? As I could not find anything specific about it in sUAS regulations. Glad you posed the question.
Thanks for the answer sar104

The sectional chart for my region shows Boston CNTR as Contact Facility and gives a radio frequency. Even if I had a mobile radio I doubt I could reach Boston from the ground on the other side of the Adirondack Mountain range. The Air Base is only about 30 miles away. My question, is there an alternate way to make contact with the Base to find out if the MOA was going to be used on a particular day? Probably sensitive information. Just don't want to be in the air period if the Jets are flying.
LAANC.

Reactions: kshaw
Welcome to the forum DatsunPriest. This is why I love this forum. You get concrete answers and up to date information. Thanks guys for posting this very good question, and as always for Sar104 giving us the answers and clarification. ???

UAV operators are not permitted to call ATC via radio except in emergencies, and that's not the correct method to determine the status of an MOA. If you look on the lower margin of the sectional for that area (Montreal) you will find a magenta box with the appropriate phone number (1-800-223-5612):

IMG_6B827A170290-1.jpeg

If you read what Sar104 stated as what Terry63 mentioned was LAANC for approval. Js. ?

Thomas B mentioned LAANC. However, all the gentlemen here are well versed in regulations & rules. Take what they offer and I would further my knowledge by taking a look at various charts to better understand the reasoning behind the different altitudes as well as reading the legends of those charts that you maybe flying in or around.

If you read what Sar104 stated as what Terry63 mentioned was LAANC for approval. Js. ?
Thomas B mentioned LAANC. However, all the gentlemen here are well versed in regulations & rules. Take what they offer and I would further my knowledge by taking a look at various charts to better understand the reasoning behind the different altitudes as well as reading the legends of those charts that you maybe flying in or around.

Just to clarify, LAANC is for authorization to fly in controlled airspace, not special use airspace.

Reactions: Thomas B and Carb63
UAV operators are not permitted to call ATC via radio except in emergencies, and that's not the correct method to determine the status of an MOA. If you look on the lower margin of the sectional for that area (Montreal) you will find a magenta box with the appropriate phone number (1-800-223-5612):
Thank you once again sar104.

I had thought that I saw a phone # on the sectional chart before, but last fall when I wanted to call to check on an MOA do you think I could find it? No. Now I have the current chart and I Located the Phone#. Are they going to update the charts every couple of months now?

Thank you once again sar104.

I had thought that I saw a phone # on the sectional chart before, but last fall when I wanted to call to check on an MOA do you think I could find it? No. Now I have the current chart and I Located the Phone#. Are they going to update the charts every couple of months now?

Sectionals are updated every 6 months.

Carb63,
If you would like a Sectional Chart you can download one for free from the FAA at this link. The charts are for specific regions. I use the Montreal Chart because it covers the most northern part of New York State.
Raster Charts

Here is a link where you can download a guide that explains how to use the charts. It also is on the FAA web site.
Aeronautical Chart Users Guide

Reactions: Thomas B and Carb63
Thanks to Terry63, for the link on charts. Datsunpriest, check out the link. Wealth of info here. I’m still learning the charts as they change every 6 months and there is always something that’s added , like new construction, towers etc etc. as I mentioned before you will get a wealth of knowledge with the folks here. I’m sure this thread will continue to help you out. Happy flying. Be well & stay safe. ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato