DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Moment Kickstarter

Cool Kickstarter video! If their DJI products turn out to be as good as their marketing skills, I think I might be in for at least a set of filters.

What exactly is an anamorphic lens? What are the sizes? Whoever wrote the copy should get a tuition refund.

What exactly is an anamorphic lens?
"Anamorphic format is the cinematography technique of shooting a widescreen picture on standard 35mm film or other visual recording media with a non-widescreen native aspect ratio. It also refers to the projection format in which a distorted image is "stretched" by an anamorphic projection lens to recreate the original aspect ratio on the viewing screen."

The video is long -- I get it -- but, they do mention this.

Reactions: JAW
"Anamorphic format is the cinematography technique of shooting a widescreen picture on standard 35mm film or other visual recording media with a non-widescreen native aspect ratio. It also refers to the projection format in which a distorted image is "stretched" by an anamorphic projection lens to recreate the original aspect ratio on the viewing screen."
OK, thanks, but what does it have to do with this lens thingy?

Watch the video ;) :D

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Here's a video from Peter McKinnon that has some more details about this anamorphic lens. He also shows more examples of what it can do.

Reactions: PAW
So how much more wear do you think the lens will do to the gimble

Only time will tell I suppose. This will most definitely be the heaviest lens ever attached to the Mavic 2 Pro gimbal.

Reactions: Rattydude77
Sorry, I just don't see the need............$400+ to induce lens flare plus a couple ND filters?
Maybe I need to up my skills to appreciate it.
For years folks have stretched and shrunk videos to avoid black bars while viewing videos - or "this video has been reformatted for your viewing pleasure" announcements where part of the intro.

And flares were to be avoided at all costs. Flare is now artistic until it is overdone. I know I'm getting old....

The video was nice but also TL;DW, and in neither what I watched of it nor the very long campaign page did I see a very simple image showing by how much the angle was changed and what you gain with a simple side by side comparison.

I must also be getting old, but this new marketing entirely centered about "you gotta get this becasue it's cool" so much as to not even show the benefits is annoying...

Reactions: mtb.arizona
The video was nice but also TL;DW, and in neither what I watched of it nor the very long campaign page did I see a very simple image showing by how much the angle was changed and what you gain with a simple side by side comparison.

I must also be getting old, but this new marketing entirely centered about "you gotta get this becasue it's cool" so much as to not even show the benefits is annoying...
That's also what I was waiting/looking for - a comparison WITH/WITHOUT. And if you think you are old, well.... How did I wind up being twice your age! (sigh)

Reactions: mtb.arizona
Check out this video from their Kickstarter page:

You'll also find a lot of other great details on that page if you take the time to scroll down a bit ;)

Reactions: ff22
I just put in $199 as backing for the lens. It says this is $100 off what the retail price will be.

I'm a big fan of moment lenses. I took my DJI Osmo Mobile 2 gimbal with 2 moment lenses (wide angle & telephoto) with me on my trip to Italy to use with my S9+ last year.

Got some amazing footage of the majority of landmarks around Italy. The glass quality is top-notch. I had 0 distortions with either lens.

Cheapo lenses you get on Amazon typically will have either a combination of distortions, warping, or chromatic aberrations around the edges/sides.

Their anamorphic lens for phones also got pretty rave reviews from youtube reviews I have seen; didn't jump on that wagon, but am doing so with this one for my Pro 2.

After seeing the above comparison video--I think it just makes a ton of sense for those wide-panning landscape shots.

Sounds like I'm shilling hard-core for Moment I guess, but only because I have actually used their stuff previously.

Don't know if I'd want to pay upwards of $300 dollars for this, and long term effects on the gimbal are of concern to me.

Reactions: parkgt
The FOV of the Mavic 2 Pro in HQ mode is quite narrow, would it means that I could use this lens and increase the FOV while keeping shooting in HQ mode?

I gotta admit if they made one for one of my current aircraft of if I obtained an M2P I would have to get the full set. I really like how they've configured the counter-weight. That says a LOT and takes a ton of load off the gimbal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB