DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 More Portage Glacier, Alaska

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Eventually I'll work up the images and video I took recently into a video but here are three versions of the Portage Glacier and the mountain side to the east (?). The last shot with the rounded hills of snow in the middle is a closer version of the hill toward the left of the first image. The glacier is all but invisible in the first two images but can be seen with the 7x tele version. So sad. One of them is a 360 that I cropped the blurry top off. Just for fun, if you want to see where the last image was taken in Google Earth it was at 60°46'56.9209" N 148°49'20.7763" W. The others were taken nearby but not from that exact spot.
DJI_0344.jpg

DJI_0345 360 cropped pano.png

DJI_0352-Pano portage glacier.jpg
DJI_0351-Pano.jpg

I always like seeing your pictures of up there. Got anything of the Harding Ice Field? :cool:

Great photos!

Reply from 75 degree Texas Hill Country; that looks magnificent but c o l d !
Dude! It's spring time in Alaska! Everyone is talking about how nice it is! "Really warming up!" "Getting too hot" (tongue in cheek). " -40F is behind us now!". It was, however, windy so even +10F feels chilly in a 15mph wind.

Dude! It's spring time in Alaska! Everyone is talking about how nice it is! "Really warming up!" "Getting too hot" (tongue in cheek). " -40F is behind us now!". It was, however, windy so even +10F feels chilly in a 15mph wind.
Oh man, you the Iceman. Really cool photos. Double entendre intended. Thanks for the post. We ran down the Tatshenshini some years back. Not cold thankfully. I sure like Alaska.

Oh man, you the Iceman. Really cool photos. Double entendre intended. Thanks for the post. We ran down the Tatshenshini some years back. Not cold thankfully. I sure like Alaska.
I never floated the Tatshenshini and now it's too late (bad arms etc) so congrats on that. I know it's an amazing float. I'm new to Alaska having moved here in 1980 but I'm starting to think I might stay for a while.

Reactions: bmcelya
I never floated the Tatshenshini and now it's too late (bad arms etc) so congrats on that. I know it's an amazing float. I'm new to Alaska having moved here in 1980 but I'm starting to think I might stay for a while.
I heard that there are two types of Alaskans...those who recently moved there and those who want to move out.

I heard that there are two types of Alaskans...those who recently moved there and those who want to move out.
When the economy is strong Outside we tend to lose population as is happening now. When it's weak Outside people tend to come up looking for work. There is a LOT of work available here, as is true Outside I guess. Truck drivers can start at $125,000 up on the Slope. Those that stay for a while tend to be those those that can enjoy winter eh?

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
Since 1980 and you might stay awhile? Haha, good one. My last hooray up there will be a journey down the Alsek. I still got the arms, but alas, I don’t have the money yet. What a great opportunity for droning that would be. Keep shooting pictures for me and post them here. Awl be bock.

Little-bit-o-history: Worked for Pacific Oceanographic and MK on the pipeline back in the 70’s. Drones would have been THE way to document all that. ALYESKA paid $1200/hr for helos to do it. Sometimes they would shoot from the Otters (less expensive and better in the cold).

Since 1980 and you might stay awhile? Haha, good one. My last hooray up there will be a journey down the Alsek. I still got the arms, but alas, I don’t have the money yet. What a great opportunity for droning that would be. Keep shooting pictures for me and post them here. Awl be bock.

Little-bit-o-history: Worked for Pacific Oceanographic and MK on the pipeline back in the 70’s. Drones would have been THE way to document all that. ALYESKA paid $1200/hr for helos to do it. Sometimes they would shoot from the Otters (less expensive and better in the cold).
get back while your arms still can handle it! :)

btw....they use drones extensively now, of course, however helicopters still patrol the pipeline.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54