DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Most of Northeast shut down for flying on the 18th!

westwind77

Reactions
I was just on B4UFLY & ALOFT and it seems the whole Northeast US (NY, CT, RI, MA, VT, NH, ME) are all 'no fly' on the 18th for a certain amount of time, what in the Mod Removed Language) is going on? The location is listed as Boston/Hopkinton, MA and the 18th in Monday, which is the Boston Marathon, and it starts in Hopkinton.....but why shut down ALL flight hundreds and hundreds of miles away?

Last edited by a moderator:
The FAA TFR map only shows the Boston area affected on the 18th. Not sure what the issue is.

Boston Marathon FAA TFR on Monday is a limited area and time. Click here for FAA TFR. Attached is a photo I took a couple days ago. I actually flew to the side and used zoom. Pic has been cropped to look like the pic was taken directly above.E5331775-F509-4095-B804-A5B02B58C763.jpeg

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
Boston Marathon FAA TFR on Monday is a limited area and time. Click here for FAA TFR. Attached is a photo I took a couple days ago. I actually flew to the side and used zoom. Pic has been cropped to look like the pic was taken directly above.
There's also a bit of history regarding terrorism at the marathon, so I don't view this as a kind of intrusion.

Reactions: rp6 and BigAl07
While most of Massachusetts is celebrating Marathon Day, those of us in Lexington (and surrounding towns) are recognizing Patriot's Day. It would not surprise me if there are restrictions around re-enactions in Lexington and Concord as well as over the marathon (I haven't checked).

While most of Massachusetts is celebrating Marathon Day, those of us in Lexington (and surrounding towns) are recognizing Patriot's Day. It would not surprise me if there are restrictions around re-enactions in Lexington and Concord as well as over the marathon (I haven't checked).
These are the only MA TFRs at the moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 3.54.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 3.54.56 PM.png
    322.1 KB · Views: 4
That's the Appalachian Trail, not the Boston Marathon!
Ha, yes the trail is always in red, I was talking about the giant red block all around New England! I have friends run the Marathon every year, would go watch many times.

As in indicated above it was an 'error'.....but how is an individual really to know, without digging.

If you open up B4UFLY or Aloft and check for restrictions it stated there would be no flights allowed on that day during a certain time for the entire red area. These apps are designed for users to be able to reference where they can and can't fly and users should not have to second guess them or think the info is not accurate.

You have two pieces of information that contradict each other, is a law agency wanted to be difficult they could say it said not to fly, and that the other was the error, who knows.

Hopefully they get the issues addressed in the future with situations like this.

Ha, yes the trail is always in red, I was talking about the giant red block all around New England! I have friends run the Marathon every year, would go watch many times.

As in indicated above it was an 'error'.....but how is an individual really to know, without digging.

If you open up B4UFLY or Aloft and check for restrictions it stated there would be no flights allowed on that day during a certain time for the entire red area. These apps are designed for users to be able to reference where they can and can't fly and users should not have to second guess them or think the info is not accurate.

You have two pieces of information that contradict each other, is a law agency wanted to be difficult they could say it said not to fly, and that the other was the error, who knows.

Hopefully they get the issues addressed in the future with situations like this.
This weekend there has been the usual Delaware Presidential TFR, but the 30nm portion around KPHL is still showing up on B4UFLY and my Mavic2 is restricting me. The PHL portion ended at 1am Saturday morning, but its not reflected in the app, so I got up early this morning only to be unable to fly. I also use Foreflight for my day job, helicopter pilot, and it shows the proper status of the TFR's. Kinda frustrating that the dji app won't let me take off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hcastro