DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Motor current error

Um, I would suggest a new Starbucks. Sounds like yours may be a money laundering front. :)
Some people just like fancy coffee lol

Just to put this in perspective, the change in Gain settings is not a given for every time you put MA prop's on a Mavic. It's actually quite rare that you would need to do it ... In fact, you'll be just as likely to need to do it for Master Airscrew prop's as if you were putting DJI's own 'quiet' prop's on a Mavic Pro ... There seems to have been more reports of needing to do that than for the MA's in this Forum ...

Reactions: pvs
Just to put this in perspective, the change in Gain settings is not a given for every time you put MA prop's on a Mavic. It's actually quite rare that you would need to do it ... In fact, you'll be just as likely to need to do it for Master Airscrew prop's as if you were putting DJI's own 'quiet' prop's on a Mavic Pro ... There seems to have been more reports of needing to do that than for the MA's in this Forum ...
I'm not talking about a Mavic Pro, I'm talking about a Mavic Air.

I'm not talking about a Mavic Pro, I'm talking about a Mavic Air.
Sorry - trying to make a point with an example ... My point is that this problem is not just about DJI prop's V's 3rd party ... And I'm not seeing feedback that says you have to adjust Gains on the Mavic Air every time MA prop's are fitted either ...

Sorry - trying to make a point with an example ... My point is that this problem is not just about DJI prop's V's 3rd party ... And I'm not seeing feedback that says you have to adjust Gains on the Mavic Air every time MA prop's are fitted either ...
I understand. I've never had to adjust before but the Master Air props do change the flight characteristics for my MA. You can hear it as well as see it. It flys looser, drifts more when turning etc. Since adjusting the vertical and yaw axis I havent got any motor control warnings but I havent really pushed it yet either. We are going to fly today and I'll let it rip and we shall see :)

So I've been doing a little more research and found this on the MA website.

beni m.
Verified purchase

the propellers switch on easily. noise level is quite lower. one issue: several times during flight comes up the warning "motor current error". it was never there with 2 older dji propeller sets.
Master Airscrew replied:
Hi Beni, We do appreciate your feedback. Some Mavic Air units updated to the latest V01.00.0560 or V01.00.0500 firmware experience such motor current error. Downgrading to V01.00.0400 eliminates this issue. This is caused because the Mavic Air STEALTH propellers have much better efficiency compared to the stock props. The power draw is lower than what the drone controller is expecting, triggering preventative alarm to check propellers.

beni m.
Verified purchase

the propellers switch on easily. noise level is quite lower. one issue: several times during flight comes up the warning "motor current error". it was never there with 2 older dji propeller sets.
Master Airscrew replied:
Hi Beni, We do appreciate your feedback. Some Mavic Air units updated to the latest V01.00.0560 or V01.00.0500 firmware experience such motor current error. Downgrading to V01.00.0400 eliminates this issue. This is caused because the Mavic Air STEALTH propellers have much better efficiency compared to the stock props. The power draw is lower than what the drone controller is expecting, triggering preventative alarm to check propellers.
If I read this correctly, Master Airscrew wants me to downgrade the firmware to the version before the battery fix just to use their new propellers. That's not going to happen.

So far, after three flights with the MA props, I've seen the "motor current error" message only a couple of times, and then only briefly. If I see those errors more often, I'll stop using the new props. But there's no way I'm going back to the prior firmware version.

Larry

Reactions: zzxrox
If I read this correctly, Master Airscrew wants me to downgrade the firmware to the version before the battery fix just to use their new propellers. That's not going to happen.

So far, after three flights with the MA props, I've seen the "motor current error" message only a couple of times, and then only briefly. If I see those errors more often, I'll stop using the new props. But there's no way I'm going back to the prior firmware version.

Larry
I completely agree. For me it's been a couple of times each flight but its quick. I tried adjusting the vertical and yaw as seen in this thread but it didn't seem to effect anything. I'm not finding any other information to help at this point so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I want to like them because they are quieter but I can live with the DJI props because I'm already used to them. I'm not going to give up just yet though.

beni m.
Verified purchase

Master Airscrew replied:
That’s a pretty unacceptable answer. If they said “we’re confident it will not cause harm or any other problems, but if you want to get rid of it you have the option to downgrade,” that’s one thing, and really what I think they’re saying, albeit not that clearly. I also think it’s probably not at all harmful, and moreover that the firmware changes just modified the warning threshold.

But if their props ARE possibly causing any problems that could damage the aircraft, they are probably in breach of the implied warrant of merchantability, and need to pull them from the market until there is a fix. A class action lawyer would probably be salivating over this (if, to reiterate, it is actually causing damage or affecting longevity of the AC)

Again, I don’t think this is the case and I’m planning on keeping mine on, but I hope they can get to the bottom of this.

I was just emailed a request for a review of these props so I explained everything to them. Hopefully i'll hear something good back from it. In the meantime I might just put my DJI props back on.

So i got some new Master Airscrew props for my Mavic Air and while testing it out in front of my house i got a motor current error a couple of times during the flight. Has anyone else had this problem?
I just received my Master Airscrew props on Saturday and I immediately tried them out - very noticeable less sound motors were obviously not spinning as fast. When I started descending fast while moving forward I got the motor current error. When I went into hover mode the error went away. I did receive a message from Master Airscrew about this error, It said :

Hi Dniel,
We have been investigating this issue thoroughly. The problem appears with some of the Mavic Air units updated to the latest firmware version.

The Stealth propellers have much better efficiency and run on about 20% lower RPMs to mitigate the noise issue. Because of the better efficiency, the propellers require less power to produce the same thrust, which seems to be recognized by the drone controller as a potential problem. As a result, the motor current error may pop-up in Sport mode when high speed breaking or very rapid maneuver is performed.
Another side effect could be a slight vibration on the drone frame, caused by the different gain settings DJI has implemented with the 0500 and 0560 firmware updates.

There are two possible solutions I can propose immediately.
- downgrading to V01.00.0400 or earlier would eliminate the issue.
- slight adjustment on the gain settings would help. These can be accesed in the top right menu -> first menu icon (the drone icon) -> advanced settings -> gain. Lowering the four settings to 80 helps tuning this out.
Also a combination of the two may be used if necessary.

We are also working on a permanent solution compatible with the latest software updates. Hope to have more information on that soon.

I’m really sorry for this inconvenience.
Thank you very much for your help and understanding.

Best regards,
MAS Team

I then researched the error on the DJI forum and others were having this issue with the error with the stock props and DJI is researching the issue and will send out a firmware update to correct the software issue with the most recent firmware release. Just for kicks I put the stock props back on but didn’t get the error. So now I wait to see if it’s a dji software issue or Master Airscrew prop issue. I will try adjusting the gain settings - first I will try the settings posted on this forum and if that doesn’t work I will try the settings Master Airscrew suggested. I really want to love these new props , let’s see what happens!

Reactions: zzxrox
Thats actually more of a response than I got lol.. So I'll try that in the morning.

I have a somewhat related question for anyone that has used the MAS stealth props on the Mavic air. I just got mine tonight and tried them. I also got the motor current error (only in sport mode) and will try the above adjustment. Thanks for that!

My question is about the MA shaking when hovering with the new props. It seems to have worked itself out, but as a newbie, it's a bit unnerving to see your drone shaking as bad as it did when I first got it in the air. Has this lasted beyond the first flight with the new props for anyone?

I have a somewhat related question for anyone that has used the MAS stealth props on the Mavic air. I just got mine tonight and tried them. I also got the motor current error (only in sport mode) and will try the above adjustment. Thanks for that!

My question is about the MA shaking when hovering with the new props. It seems to have worked itself out, but as a newbie, it's a bit unnerving to see your drone shaking as bad as it did when I first got it in the air. Has this lasted beyond the first flight with the new props for anyone?
Changing all the gain settings to 80 as MA suggested in an email it stopped all the shaking. I'm still getting the motor control error but it feels a lot more stable now. I'm still flying them.

The 'shaking' that you describe is the Mavic Air over-compensating when the feed-back circuits attempt to keep it steady. The 'Gain' is too high and needs to be reduced ... However, I'd recommend doing this in small steps. The following video is one of the best there is that explains what's happening - even though it is referencing a Mavic Pro ... Same thing in this regard. It is a bit long-winded, but 100% in regard to telling you what is doing this, and how to fix it ...

MA's own website has this info ... Mavic Air Gain Settings

The 'shaking' that you describe is the Mavic Air over-compensating when the feed-back circuits attempt to keep it steady. The 'Gain' is too high and needs to be reduced ... However, I'd recommend doing this in small steps. The following video is one of the best there is that explains what's happening - even though it is referencing a Mavic Pro ... Same thing in this regard. It is a bit long-winded, but 100% in regard to telling you what is doing this, and how to fix it ...

MA's own website has this info ... Mavic Air Gain Settings

Thanks for the video, it was very informative.

To update, I set the gain for all but vertical to 83 after starting at 90. The vibration appears to be gone and I am getting no more motor current errors. I flew for about an hour with about a quarter of that in sport mode. In windy conditions also. Seemed to be flying pretty normally.

The only issue I noticed is that it didn't seem as responsive, like it took longer to get going. I will double check this on a calm day.

Thanks for the tips!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redcircle