DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mountain biking w/Drone

Housenotes

Reactions
I’m trying to use my MP2 to film a mountain bike ride and can’t seem to find a good way to mount/carry the controller so I can use active track. Anybody have a solution for this?

As I understand you want to track yourself while riding. You might be able to adapt phone handlebar mount but I think the handlebar vibrations would be too much for the controller. You could use a lanyard to hold the controller but would need to grab it to use it and the antenna direction MIGHT be a problem.
You could look from YouTube video where a drone follows a bike and then ask the producer for ideas. l I've other questions of cycle-riding videos for information on how they got pictures.

Reactions: Housenotes
Not sure what the controller looks like, but you could probably find a RAM X-Grip Mount that will work with it. Though don't know if it will be secure enough for a mountain bike ride.

Reactions: Housenotes
I found some information on a DJI forum. One comment indicated direct mount on the frame would be too much shock. Another solution accepted was to use velcro to attach to backpack shoulder strap with a lanyard for backup in case the velcro failed. It won't hold the controller in full view while riding. You might explore chest mount options for action cameras and adapt for holding the controller.

Great ideas, thanks for the reply! Only problem Is my Mavic controller doesn’t have holes for a lanyard. Time to research that as well!😁

I'm not familiar with your specific controller. The standard controller for the Air 2s doesn't have holes either, but I found an adapter to fit with the antennas where I can attach a lanyard. I also had an adapter so I could use a lanyard with my Spark controller. I might have some ideas if know which controller you had.

I'm not familiar with your specific controller. The standard controller for the Air 2s doesn't have holes either, but I found an adapter to fit with the antennas where I can attach a lanyard. I also had an adapter so I could use a lanyard with my Spark controller. I might have some ideas if know which controller you had.
I just have the standard controller that came with my Mavic 2 Pro.

DJI Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom Remote Controller RC1A/RC1B with Joysticks

OK, similar to my Spark controller. Here's what I did for a lanyard. I got it a few years ago on Amazon. The plate with hold fits into the phone holder and has an extension for a phone mount away from the controller. The important part here was the plate with holes so I could clip on a lanyard which had clips on both ends. I could just let the whole thing dangle while walking. I didn't use if to biking.

Attachments

• IMG_2313 phone mounted.jpg
    IMG_2313 phone mounted.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Bought this one on Amazon. Fits multiple controllers as shown in the picture. Maybe this will work for you. Use it on a road bike so not sure how it would work on a mountain bike.

Attachments

• 475DBDAC-CDDD-4FF0-B59F-467D44666A1B.jpeg
    475DBDAC-CDDD-4FF0-B59F-467D44666A1B.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 4
  • A5BE208B-F5C1-4241-8E68-21B79C1ECA93.jpeg
    A5BE208B-F5C1-4241-8E68-21B79C1ECA93.jpeg
    333 KB · Views: 4
I had much of the same problems when I tried mountain biking with my original mavic air. At least with that one you could use wifi and do tracking but I found if the phone auto screen locked tracking would stop.

I gave up on active track for biking and instead find a spot and hover then ride.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom